Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

winrar keep files broken not always working why?

This is the forum to discuss tech-software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

winrar keep files broken not always working why?

Postby altpdend » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:19 pm

Most of the time the keep files broken in winrar option works so i can preview files. I am trying to preview a divx file but it won't extract i keep getting this msg: You need to start extraction from a previous volume to unpack and i am starting with the first rar it's .r00 is the r.00 the problem will it only work with archives that start with r01?
altpdend

Postby aizurd » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:49 pm

1st file should end with .rar, look for the file ending in .rar and try extracting from there.
aizurd

Postby altpdend » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:22 pm

aizurd wrote:1st file should end with .rar, look for the file ending in .rar and try extracting from there.

thanks for your help i been using winrar for a long time and never thought about the .rar file and to top it all off that rar file was misnamed thanks agaim
altpdend

Postby music66bandit » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:54 pm

Yeah, this has happened to me before and i just started with the .rar one. My question is why are there some that you can start at anyone? I usually click on a random one and if i get that message i just start at the begining.
music66bandit

Postby clarcor » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:59 pm

Get RarSlave.....its a lot better!
clarcor

Postby zim » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:26 pm

music66bandit wrote:Yeah, this has happened to me before and i just started with the .rar one. My question is why are there some that you can start at anyone? I usually click on a random one and if i get that message i just start at the begining.

solid vs. non solid archives.

solid you gotta start at the 1st one.
zim

Postby IneptVagrant » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:30 am

also a note.

Somtimes .r00 is the first, or even .000
Somtimes they are ***.part1.rar

rars have alot of ways you can name them. The program trys to find the correct files that are neccassary, but doesn't always.

@zim, thats not a consequence of solid exactly. He wouldn't be able to extract this file either way if missing the first volume of the archive.

If there was another file following this large file, and the archive was solid -- then you wouldn't be able to extract this 2nd file w/o all the previous volumes of the archive.

If the archive was not solid, you could extract later files in the archive regardless of what came before it -- as long as you have all the volumes of which this file is a member.

Solid requires all volumes previous and including your target file. Non-solid only requires volumes that include your target file.

Perhaps you know all that.

Winrar trys to be helpful, if you open some volume that isn't the first volume there is a <-- or/and --> on the files names indicating that these file(s) aren't all entirely contained within this volume. "-->" in particular indicates there is a successive volume that wasn't found. In contrast "<--" indicatees a previous volume is nessaccary but may or may not be findable.

Esp. if you open in the middle somewhere, you will see all the files following this volume and files contained in successive volumes. But you won't see any files from previous volumes.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Winrar non-solid archive

Postby Eduardito » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:22 am

My cd supposedly has a couple of scratches on it and whenever this certain file is being extracted, at 32% it says file is CRC failed bla bla file corrupted anyway I found a way to get through that and was able to get the 32%. Problem is, I need the rest of that file which is on the next CD. So I can't get the rest of the file on the next CD because it says you have to start extraction from a previous volume (this is in Winrar). But I can't continue it from the previous CD because of the error.

I already was able to get the first part of the file, I just want to get the files from the next CD without needing to start from the previous CD and volume.
Eduardito

Postby IneptVagrant » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:26 am

copy the contents of both CDs to your hdd, in the same folder. then unrar it.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Re: winrar keep files broken not always working why?

Postby tanjunz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:22 am

Hey guys, i have the same problem, please help... i got a rar file name "xxx.part2.rar" and inside the file name "xxx.iso <--"
I cant extract it... anyone know why? how to extract it?
tanjunz

Return to Tech/Software Discussion