Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Ares Now Supports BitTorrent

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Ares Now Supports BitTorrent

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:48 pm

Why make your own P2P network when you can just rely on BitTorrent? That appears to be the growing trend these days, as more P2P developers are realizing the BitTorrent community is simply too large and resourceful to ignore. LimeWire was the first major outside P2P development team to support BitTorrent, and now Ares Galaxy has joined the fray as version 1.9.4 now supports the protocol as well.

Ares is no stranger to switching protocols. During its earlier days, the project was a Gnutella client. However this was back in 2002, when the Gnutella network was a struggling community. Frustrated at the poor quality of the network, developer Alberto Treves devised his own network - Ares Galaxy.

Like LimeWire, Ares' support for the protocol is rudimentary at this time. However it works well enough and gives a glimpse into what the file-sharing landscape may look like in time to come. You can download Ares Galaxy <a href=http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net/ target=_blank>here</a>
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby BlueThunder » Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:54 pm

I've found it to be actually better than Shareaza's 3 and half year old BitTorrent support. I started off getting ok speeds for this file I'm downloading, but now it's blazing fast(picked up a uTorrent user)!
BlueThunder

Postby hemi426 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:47 pm

The release notes don't say what Bittorrent features are supported or planned.

selective file downloading from within the torrent folder?

DHT?

Encryption?

Ability to add or remove trackers?

support UDP?

multi-network swarming?

Or will the extent of BT features be on the same rudimentary level as the Opera browser?

Filetopia was supposed to add support for Bittorrent - or at least an encrypted bittorrent-like transfer protocol. I wonder how that work is progressing?
hemi426

Postby ShawnSpree » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:07 pm

People went to bit torrent to get out of using ares, shareaza, and other shitty gnutella clients.
ShawnSpree

Postby Overnet User » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:07 pm

Its better to have joined and have the combined support than doing it yourself sometimes. Remember that!!!
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby denominator » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:45 pm

anyone know what peer_id this identifies as? yet another one to add to stuffer.
denominator

Postby Overnet User » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:05 am

what do you mean peer_id?
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby denominator » Mon Nov 13, 2006 5:54 am

denominator

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:36 am

I dont see the problem in having 2 seperate clients for BT and ares. The 2 are different enough that would mean that BT support would most likely be lagging behind what the stand alone clients all offer, and the searching on ares will take longer.
But still, its another option for P2P, which i support.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby videocheez » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:26 pm

It sounds they are trying to keep their existing users base by offering BT. They know that once their users leave to try utorrent or azureus, they may never return.
This is so much fun! :-)
videocheez

Postby roomy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:26 pm

I am currently very satisfied with Shareaza's BitTorrent support. I'll give Ares a whirl to see how it mesures up. :D

Does Ares share it's partials on BT ?

EDIT: My first attempts are a complete failure, when opening a torrent in Ares, a nameless file appears in the transfers section and there are no data transfers taking place at all. I will try their forums for help.

It is still good news that Ares and Limewire are jumping on the BT wagon as it will spread the power of BT beyond many networks. However, i will stick to Shareaza for now as it does my BT quite well.
roomy

Re: Ares Now Supports BitTorrent

Postby roomy » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:52 pm

SlyckTom wrote:LimeWire was the first major outside P2P development team to support BitTorrent,

Now that just sucks, when everyone knows it ain't true.
roomy

Postby ShawnSpree » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:27 pm

You know ares is shit when they try to gain users from bt over, and when the bt community dont encorporate ares into their network. Most private trackers banned it also.
ShawnSpree

P2P news :)

Postby sonnentier » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:55 am

Ares implementing BT?? :shock:

I wonder a bit because Ares was always good for single and real-time fast&easy mp3/clip downloading (kazaa-style), and BT is quite the opposite (compilations which you would think where to put them, check Ratio, not just double-click).
In the last time, more and more people seem to start using BT, I am also online nearly always, but I wonder if it is good for the BT community if more and more rudimentary clients get used by people who don't really know what torrent is. I mean: doesn't Morpheus, eD2k as Plug-In and also Browsers etc. all get BT? Often, it isn't even possible to view the ratio, and clients don't make it clear that seeding is a good thing.. so aren't many noobs just leeching without knowing what they do? :) Therefore it would be interesting: How will Ares be seeding? Will it automatically announce all torrents without having them in DL/UL column (all "shared torrents")? That would make seeding easy. If you can clear completed and seeding stops.. not so good.

My opinion is that Ares and BT are not concurrents. I use both: Torrent for organized long-time downloading, Ares for real-time filesharing (picking and listening). Therefore I wonder a bit about the BT in Ares (and LW).
There is one thing where it would be useful, though: If clients can manage whole Upload and prorize both torrent and 'p2p-searching net', so the client has the view of all bandwidth. If I have both µT&Ares e.g., they wouldnt care about each other :)

Anyway I think when you load&listen (Ares) you just turn everything else off, if you game online too, and over night the donkey or torrent can work ^^
So I hope that this doesn't effect AresNet so I can just ignore it if I like ^^

sorry the reply is unsorted and long.. I'm not concentrated..
sonnentier

Postby SyLeNtTbRoWn » Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:35 am

All i know is that I my self have just started useing shareaza and have just as of yesterday dl Ares .... i find that yes the to do give me blazeing speeds But i need to know what it is im serching for ... On a bittorrent based client such as azerueus witch i also use i can pick and choose what it is that im looking for ... yes bittorrent can be slower ... but that is all relitive to leechers .... its kinda a tossup ... more specific media @ perhaps lower speeds or easy to search crap @ faster speeds, I dont see a clear winner here. It's all realitive to the content you want as far as im standing, perhaps im safer sitting on the fence for now.

:roll: T
Im no Super Guenious.... or are I??
SyLeNtTbRoWn

Postby P2PG » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:13 am

Ares is made for small files like mp3s but torrents and bigger files seems to work great! The bittorrent support is very good actually! /p2p_G
P2PG

Return to Slyck News