Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Free Music Departs, Pay Music Arrives on Myspace

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Free Music Departs, Pay Music Arrives on Myspace

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:48 pm

The “social networking” site MySpace is going under some renovations in an effort to clean up its copyright image. Like YouTube, MySpace has an untold number of copyrighted works available for the picking. Although this attribute has earned the ire of the entertainment industry, it has helped MySpace and YouTube become the successes they are today.

However as MySpace’s popularity continues to rise, it’s feeling the pressure to eliminate copyrighted works. Yesterday, the social networking site announced that it will utilize GraceNote to prevent copyrighted work from being uploaded. GraceNote compares the fingerprint of a file and compares it to an index. If the song is copyrighted, it will prevent the file from ever appearing. It can also crawl the millions of MySpace pages and scour for copyrighted work.

In other words, MySpace will be void of virtually every last copyrighted song – much like YouTube is slowly dissolving copyrighted videos. But it doesn’t mean the music will go quiet.

MySpace's efforts are motivated by its desire to create room for authorized music distribution. In a press release <a href=http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=178641 target=_blank>issued today</a> by independent music label “The Orchard”, the label’s entire catalog will be released via Snowcap. Snocap, a creation of Napster founder Shawn Fanning, allows copyright holders to manage the distribution of their work online. With this move, The Orchard will allow their music to be distributed on MySpace, for a price.

“Under the agreement, Orchard customers will be able to use their MySpace pages as digital storefronts, with SNOCAP providing a secure commerce environment through its Digital Registry and The Orchard providing royalty administration, accounting, and payment services.”

There’s little doubt that many other record labels will begin to jump on the MySpace digital storefront bandwagon. It will radically alter the MySpace landscape, which is built upon similar principals as P2P networks. Although it remains to be seen how well the MySpace faithful will react to this change, history has shown that similar changes on P2P networks has yielded little success.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby eAi » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:12 pm

In what way is myspace similar to a p2p network? Its entirely centralized...
eAi

Postby xerox6502 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:38 pm

I would like to know what "finger print" GraceNote compares ... I suspect that getting around this would be very easy.
xerox6502

Postby LANjackal » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:16 pm

xerox6502 wrote:I would like to know what "finger print" GraceNote compares ... I suspect that getting around this would be very easy.

The new protections already don't work. I've always uploaded tracks from my own music library to a private webspace, streaming them to my MySpace page via HTML code, with album art and Artist - Album - Track info displayed. Since the source directory is private, only I can browse it, but the direct link to the song works for anyone who has it, as long as the file's still there.

I checked it today and all's still working. Nice work, Gracenote *smirks*.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby webe3 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:10 pm

People will also start to leave once this gets too hard for them to use....when the big music moves in...the free crowd usually moves out!

Which will only leave a handful of people to share "authorized" music. So they will probably end up going belly up, if they don't reach a compromise....most companies that impliment strict sharing usually cut their own throat!
webe3

Postby webe3 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:37 pm

Actually the title of this post should be changed to: "Free music departs and hardly anything left on Myspace"! LOL!
webe3

Piss off

Postby craftycorner » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:12 am

My space was only a space where my family connected. If it isn't free, it can piss off.
My God, its full of files!

Crafty
craftycorner

Postby LANjackal » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:47 pm

While MySpace was originally about music, it rapidly became simply as its name suggests - a personal webspace to represent oneself.

Hardly anyone on it really cares about music - they're more interested in getting more comments, posting revealing (women) or "pimp" (men) pictures of themselves, and the like. At least those are the people I'm familiar with...
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Ne007 » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:14 pm

I have a video on myspace. It's a popular music video that I ripped myself, uploaded and put it on my front page. I didn't label it and I didn't make it public.

It's still there.
Ne007

Postby abou105 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:20 am

more bullshit, just fucking typical!

no one on myspace is doing anyharm, it isnt like music sales went down 3% becuase some kids want to have thier favourite track on myspace. This is bad news AGAIN!!

Now im gonna have more fucking bands adding me and trying to sell me thier shitty music as well! The music industry ruins everything.
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby gomez » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:35 am

Celebrations, myspace is gonna die!
gomez

Return to Slyck News