Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

RIAA Drops Case in Chicago

Discuss file-sharing news from other sites. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

RIAA Drops Case in Chicago

Postby Ray Beckerman » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Story : http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogsp ... icago.html

RIAA Drops Elektra v. Wilke After Defendant Moves for Summary Judgment
Ray Beckerman

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:03 pm

I do like how the RIAA takes someone to cour, then basically the defendant says "I havent done this, prove me wrong." and the RIAA couldnt ven put up a fight.
More people should refuse to pay up at the first notice they get and go to court, i would suspect most would win.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby TorrentMama » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:29 am

As good as it is that Wilke defended himself & challenged the RIAA, he still did not go far enough. Why did he agree to pay his own legal expenses? If it were myself I'd counter sue them for expenses, emotional stress, extortion, take your pick. I wouldn't be satisfied until I ran up their legal bill & left with some money.
TorrentMama

Postby Captain America » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:35 am

Why did he agree to pay his own legal expenses?

They probably offered him free music instead. :lol:

I liked it how he stated that he wasn't the correct "Paul Wilke".

I would have tried to counter-sue for court-fee's,mental stress, and isn't there something u can sue for for missing work due to court?

main thing, I would have asked for a public apology and a free mp3 player.

couldn't u see the riaa giving some1 an mp3 player?
Captain America

The way to go

Postby RayBeckerman » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:36 am

Fartingbob wrote:More people should refuse to pay up at the first notice they get and go to court, i would suspect most would win.

You got it.
RayBeckerman

Re: The way to go

Postby curzlgt » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:47 am

RayBeckerman wrote:
Fartingbob wrote:More people should refuse to pay up at the first notice they get and go to court, i would suspect most would win.

You got it.

More people should I agreed, if they are truley "innocent". If they are not, I'm not confident in the wisdom that advice....

It looks like Paul Wilke was innocent, and he should sue for attorney fees, and the kitchen sink while hes at it.

I love these cases, every one of these innocent victims help to expose the RIAA abuse of the civil courts :twisted:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

advice?

Postby RayBeckerman » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:02 am

Dear curlzgt, being a lawyer I'm sensitive to the word "advice". I'm not advising people what they should do; I can only do that in the context of a one-on-one relationship in which I know the person and his or her particular circumstances. I can only give "advice" on a case by case basis. I can't do it in this kind of forum.

So I'm not giving advice. I'm just observing, from the larger perspective, that if more people fought back, and less people paid the extortionate "settlements", I think this plague would be coming to an end. Each person that pays a settlement is adding fuel to the fire. Each person that fights back is pouring water on the fire.
RayBeckerman

Re: advice?

Postby curzlgt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:12 am

RayBeckerman wrote:Dear curlzgt, being a lawyer I'm sensitive to the word "advice". I'm not advising people what they should do; I can only do that in the context of a one-on-one relationship in which I know the person and his or her particular circumstances. I can only give "advice" on a case by case basis. I can't do it in this kind of forum.

So I'm not giving advice. I'm just observing, from the larger perspective, that if more people fought back, and less people paid the extortionate "settlements", I think this plague would be coming to an end. Each person that pays a settlement is adding fuel to the fire. Each person that fights back is pouring water on the fire.

Fair enough Mr Beckerman, I guess I can see a difference between advice and observation.

People fighting this who engage in filesharing, and can be proven to have done so to the satisfaction of a civil court, will be like pouring gasoline on the fire.

I'll favored precadent will bode badly for all future cases......Or am I wrong on that?

I'm just saying that not everybody should fight back.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Return to File-Sharing News