Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Kazaa is out and I'm lost!

Discuss any general File-Sharing Topic or Issue

Please use the relevant forum below for non file-sharing issues or questions about a specific program or network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby P2P_G » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:17 pm

yaveznodo wrote:I'm definitely doing something wrong here then, damnit! I forwarded the port, exception rule in my firewall, and I'm still getting terrible speeds. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Okey :) dude you should try Shareaza Plus, its like a boosted shareaza, it connects to more ultrapeers :)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/shareazaplus/
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby yaveznodo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:19 pm

Thanks G I'll give it a shot :)
yaveznodo

Postby P2P_G » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:30 pm

yaveznodo wrote:Thanks G I'll give it a shot :)

KK :) And btw, my name is Dima and not G :lol: :wink:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby jay-jay » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:34 am

shareaza Plus is a hacked version of an old alpha version of the original client. On top of that it is harmful to the networks it connects to, so I would recommend not using it.
jay-jay

Postby P2P_G » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:09 pm

jay-jay wrote:shareaza Plus is a hacked version of an old alpha version of the original client. On top of that it is harmful to the networks it connects to, so I would recommend not using it.

Its not a old version, its just a boosted version and it doesn't "harm" the network, it just connects to 2 more ultrapeers :wink:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby roomy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:54 pm

yaveznodo wrote:I'm definitely doing something wrong here then, damnit! I forwarded the port, exception rule in my firewall, and I'm still getting terrible speeds. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Try one of the following Shareaza connection test, If your test is not successful, there is something wrong with your connection setup

http://jlh.no-ip.org/connectiontest/
http://test.atomo64.puffinhost.com/
http://fission-datasoft.co.nr/ctest/
roomy

Re: Kazaa is out and I'm lost!

Postby TorrentMama » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:17 pm

Talmadge wrote: I was in Wal-Mart the other day looking at i-pods for my daughter...

It goes against every grain in my body to say this but if after some practice you still can't manage the ease of utorrent & a website like the pirate bay you may want to stick to legal downloading. But do give torrents another shot.

Also, you may want to re-think the decision to buy an ipod. You sound like you need a player that will support your existing mp3 collection & something that allows for simple transfer. Maybe other users here can make a recommendation.

After it's all said & done, if you don't go legit with a pay for downloading service please look into some security measures to protect yourself from an extortion scheme from the RIAA.
TorrentMama

Postby jay-jay » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:39 pm

P2P_G wrote:
jay-jay wrote:shareaza Plus is a hacked version of an old alpha version of the original client. On top of that it is harmful to the networks it connects to, so I would recommend not using it.

Its not a old version, its just a boosted version and it doesn't "harm" the network, it just connects to 2 more ultrapeers :wink:

It is forked from an older alpha version. Connecting to too many ultrapeers does harm the network it is connected to, the default ultrapeer settings in Shareaza are there for a very good reason.
jay-jay

Postby jay-jay » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:03 pm

I'm not disputing the fact that it has better performance than Shareaza, its just known that this client is harmful to the networks it connects to, though im not sure about ED2K.
Its fine that you think Shareaza has bad Gnutella performance, I dont even use the program anymore, all i'm saying is your increased performance is to the detriment of others.
jay-jay

Postby TorrentMama » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:17 pm

If you are trying to help Talmadge he or she probably doesn't understand what you are talking about.
TorrentMama

Postby jay-jay » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:18 pm

I can't remember the specifics on how it it harms Gnutella 1 and 2 as I havent used Shareaza or been on their forums for a long time. Though, i'm sure if you do a search for it on their official forums there is plenty information on it.
jay-jay

Postby P2P_G » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:51 am

jay-jay wrote:
P2P_G wrote:

It is forked from an older alpha version. Connecting to too many ultrapeers does harm the network it is connected to, the default ultrapeer settings in Shareaza are there for a very good reason.

And then LimeWire Pro need to harm Gnutella, cuz it connects to 5 ultrapeers like shareaza plus. Shareaza Plus is like Shareaza Pro :wink:
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby jay-jay » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:29 pm

The way Gnutella2 searches is slightly different from the normal legacy Gnutella. It originally had a higher amount amount of leaf to hub connections, but was lowered due to search congestion problems. In future releases it was put to 2 by default with the maximum setting to 3.
If everyone were to use Shareaza Plus it would harm the network and give a reduced performance.

FrostWire also limits their connections to 3, they have no reason to restrict it as they work freely and dont offer a paid model. The reason they keep theirs to three is to keep the network healthy, and 3 is also a high enough number to get good performance from Gnutella.
jay-jay

Postby Talmadge » Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:16 am

TorrentMama wrote:If you are trying to help Talmadge he or she probably doesn't understand what you are talking about.

I was wondering where all of this was leading. BTW Talmadge is a he!

Look, I really apreciate all of the help, advice, ideas and direction this past week. It has been real interesting reading the banter back and forth. I have re-tried BitTorrent with more sucess this time. This may be due to my removing Kazaa, Wares3, and a few other fileshareing clients from my computer and using only BitTorrent. I will be expermenting with other torrent clients, BitTorrent seems to work great now and it is real simple.

Again, thanks for all of the help, especially Webe3.
Talmadge

Postby Lee1001 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:50 pm

After all these years I've connected to Slyck again, love reading all these posts we made , and the names of the members all bring back memories of good years when file sharing was new and exciting, but time moves on, I'm now married with kids, still living in Paris.I also checked out Demonoid and still find hundreds of my uploads listed there, in 2012 I deleted most of them, and by the way I still get regular, when it's up and working, emails asking for reseeds, a particular movie etc.
Those were the days.
Lee1001

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:40 pm

hi lee :howdy:

good to see u :)
MrFredPFL

Previous

Return to General File-Sharing Discussion