Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

ThePirateBay.org Raided - Servers Seized

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

ThePirateBay.org Raided - Servers Seized

Postby SlyckTom » Wed May 31, 2006 7:56 am

In their native Sweden, ThePirateBay.org enjoyed a level of immunity from copyright prosecution rarely seen in the file-sharing world. Often defiant in the face of those wishing to enforce their intellectual property rights, ThePirateBay.org would go on to become one of the premier BitTorrent indexing and tracking sites.

As one of the largest trackers, ThePirateBay.org largely replaced the search engine SuprNova.org. SuprNova.org met its demise in late 2004, when it was under pressure from the entertainment industry to shut it operation down. Conversely, such pressure has been ineffective against ThePiratebay.org.

When such political pressure fails, the use of force is typically the next course of action. In a move that many thought would never come, Slyck.com learned this morning that ThePirateBay.org was raided by Swedish police.

“…The police right now is taking all of our servers, to check if there is a crime there or not (they are actually not sure),” ThePirateBay.org spokesperson “brokep” told Slyck.com.

The seizure of ThePirateBay.org’s entire server farm will guarantee this BitTorrent tracker will remain offline until the police complete their investigation. The uncertainty on the part of the police may stem from the fact ThePirateBay.org's servers only host .torrent files, not actual copyrighted material. As a tracker, ThePirateBay.org's function is to index .torrent files and to direct BitTorrent traffic and maintain the swarm (uploads and downloads.) The downloaded .torrent file contains all the necessary information to locate and download the queried file. The legality of indirectly linking to copyrighted material has yet to be tested by Swedish courts.

Whether this will keep ThePirateBay.org offline indefinitely is another matter.

“We are not sure when it will return, but we are moving it to another country if necessary,” brokep said.

According to <a href=http://www2.piratpartiet.se/nyheter/the_pirate_bay_and_piratbyran_taken_down_by_police target=_blank>The Pirate Party</a>, a Swedish copyright reform organization, the raid also seized Piratbyrån's (the Pirate Bureau) servers. Piratbyrån is a educational and quasi-political organization which performs a public servic role similar to The Pirate Party. In addition, The Pirate Party reports "...the servers where located in a protected area, to which the police had no legal right to enter..." Approximately 50 police participated in the raid, which placed into custody two PirateBay.org personnel.

The premature departure of ThePirateBay.org marks a significant turning point in the BitTorrent community. Although it's not currently known what, if any, entertainment entity is behind this raid, failure to secure ThePirateBay.org's permanent removal will only bolster this tracker’s position of defiance.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Nuttyguy » Wed May 31, 2006 8:03 am

wow, this caught me off gaurd
Nuttyguy

Postby DaBlade » Wed May 31, 2006 8:03 am

This was a big mistake on Antipiratpyrån's side. Antipiratbyrån have just pissed off a large percentage of Sweden's population, and almost guaranteed PiratPartiet's entry into government this fall.
The cops will find nothing but torrent files on the servers, and almost surely let them off the hook.

Good Luck, ThePirateBay, I'm confident of your victory.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby Figured » Wed May 31, 2006 8:12 am

pirate bay should turn around and sue the government for wrongful accusal if the government comes up with nothing, which in there case is more than likely.
Figured

Are we sure there are only torrent files on the servers?

Postby lubczyk » Wed May 31, 2006 8:20 am

This time are we sure they kept only torrent files on those servers? I remember when Lokitorrent got raided I recieved a certain unwelcome letter a couple months later from the M*AA.
lubczyk

Postby ShawnSpree » Wed May 31, 2006 8:25 am

What they think was gonna happen, everyone gonna set by and watch people infringe?
Let it go down, otherwise it will just be used for the industry to track users down and sue them.
ShawnSpree

Postby nikt » Wed May 31, 2006 8:29 am

DaBlade wrote:This was a big mistake on Antipiratpyrån's side. Antipiratbyrån have just pissed off a large percentage of Sweden's population, and almost guaranteed PiratPartiet's entry into government this fall.
The cops will find nothing but torrent files on the servers, and almost surely let them off the hook.

Good Luck, ThePirateBay, I'm confident of your victory.

Amen
nikt

Postby aheintz » Wed May 31, 2006 8:34 am

Good Luck TPB
aheintz

Postby Artie » Wed May 31, 2006 8:43 am

They say that hindsight is more clear than foresight, but in the case of TPB, the opposite is true. As a simple example, I posted the following on June 1st of last year, and my sentiments haven't wavered since then.

I personally think all their nose-thumbing and their invincible attitude will come back to bite them later on down the road. It's like a classic scenario of things to come.

'Nuff said.

Moral of the story: As powerful as you may feel, there's always going to be a more powerful force.

Thanks for the article Tom.
Artie

Postby WildHeart » Wed May 31, 2006 8:49 am

The problem is, even if TPB eventually prevails, if they are kept offline for any length of time the authorities will have accomplished at least part of what they set out to do. These "investigations" can sometimes last a very long time.
"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."
- Will Rogers -
WildHeart

Postby Skunky » Wed May 31, 2006 9:04 am

Whooo.. big time, not expected...

Good luck to all ....
Skunky

Postby zim » Wed May 31, 2006 9:10 am

didnt they do this last year too? down to the day nearly.

and it was a hoax last time.
zim

Postby DaBlade » Wed May 31, 2006 9:12 am

zim wrote:didnt they do this last year too? down to the day nearly.

I've asked Rickard Falkvinge (leader of the Pirate Party), and he at least says it's not. He asked Antipiratbyrån, and said they confirmed it. I personally believe him.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby yaveznodo » Wed May 31, 2006 9:13 am

"It was as if a million peers were suddenly silenced"

-- Oooh the Jedi's are going to feel this one.
yaveznodo

Postby zim » Wed May 31, 2006 9:13 am

and we all believed last time too...

it doesnt make a good hoax if you admit to it.
zim

Postby Korrupt » Wed May 31, 2006 9:14 am

PureTNA seems to be run by TPB too, they are still online. tpb itself is pingable again, yet the website says its down for maintenance.
Korrupt

Postby yaveznodo » Wed May 31, 2006 9:15 am

Looks legit, as far as I can tell.

The worry now is if they'll come out the other end or does the MAFIAA's reach extend out across the ocean to strangle whoever opposes.

This is either a very bad day.

Or the beginning of the future.
yaveznodo

Postby Meurgly » Wed May 31, 2006 9:17 am

damn...bad news indeed.

i never used them but i always considered them the first line of defense against me and my...ahem...activities.
Meurgly

Postby Wighar » Wed May 31, 2006 9:28 am

Sorry to have to confirm this but yes Thepiratebay is indeed down, I checked Antipiratbyråns website looking to confirm the story, and it is confirmed:

Antipiratbyran.com wrote: The Pirate Bay nedstängd

Polisen genomförde idag en rad husrannsakningar mot lokaler där The Pirate Bay bedriver sin verksamhet. Klockan 12 30 stängdes sidan thepiratebay.org ned.

In translation

The Pirate Bay Closed

Police made a Raid against the rooms/apartments where the pirate bay was based, as of 12:30 Swedish time thepiratebay.org was closed.
Wighar

Postby lilricky » Wed May 31, 2006 9:40 am

DaBlade wrote:

I've asked Rickard Falkvinge (leader of the Pirate Party), and he at least says it's not. He asked Antipiratbyrån, and said they confirmed it. I personally believe him.

Rickard said the exact same thing last time. Guys, every May 31st expect this, I'm laughing my a$$ off at you guys, as I'm sure the piratebay.org admins are.
The local police have no idea about this raid, doesnt that raise a red flag?
lilricky

Postby yaveznodo » Wed May 31, 2006 9:46 am

It would be fantastic if that were the truth.

<crosses fingers>
yaveznodo

Postby abou105 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:07 am

Korrupt wrote:PureTNA seems to be run by TPB too, they are still online. tpb itself is pingable again, yet the website says its down for maintenance.

TNA is moderated by TPB but thank fuck its not down that site is great :D
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby abou105 » Wed May 31, 2006 11:08 am

Korrupt wrote:PureTNA seems to be run by TPB too, they are still online. tpb itself is pingable again, yet the website says its down for maintenance.

TNA is moderated by TPB but thank fuck its not down that site is great :D
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby eMbry00s » Wed May 31, 2006 11:23 am

This was inevitable.

I know a person who has connections to the TPB crew, and I have heard of activites that may make them criminals. This, however, wouldn't affect other tracker-site's legal statuses in Sweden - unless the judge says being a tracker for illegal content is also a crime.

Also, congrats on the early report. You've made slashdot (and fuckloads of ad revenue).
eMbry00s

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed May 31, 2006 11:36 am

lilricky wrote:
DaBlade wrote:

Rickard said the exact same thing last time. Guys, every May 31st expect this, I'm laughing my a$$ off at you guys, as I'm sure the piratebay.org admins are.
The local police have no idea about this raid, doesnt that raise a red flag?

if what you say is true (and i'm not doubting that it is) perhaps you could provide me (and i don't doubt there are others who would like to know as well) with some insight into WHY the TBP admins are laughing? are these hoaxes their idea? if so, what exactly is the point?
MrFredPFL

Next

Return to Slyck News