Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

BitTorrent inks studio distribution deal

Discuss file-sharing news from other sites. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

BitTorrent inks studio distribution deal

Postby Macker » Tue May 09, 2006 4:04 am

Story : http://news.com.com/BitTorrent+inks+stu ... g=nefd.top

BitTorrent, the creator of the file-sharing software that for some has become synonymous with piracy, has struck a landmark distribution deal with a Hollywood studio.
Macker

Postby denominator » Tue May 09, 2006 5:08 am

Pricing is also undetermined, although individual TV shows could be priced as low as $1 and movies will be sold for about the price of buying a DVD, BitTorrent said.
//
The studio also will sell permanent copies of films and TV shows online that can be burned to a backup DVD, although the copy will only play on the computer used to download the film and not on standard DVD players.

link to AP article

so, for basically the same price as a physical dvd, a consumer can download a film that has DRM and won't play on a standalone burner?

I just don't see that going over very well for the general public, unless the prices of the films are greatly reduced. I'm sure most consumers would prefer to have a physical copy that they can play in their standalone players in their entertainment centers, mobile dvd players, and computers if they choose.
denominator

Sketchy Ol' MPAA

Postby king8654 » Tue May 09, 2006 5:13 am

I just don't see that going over very well for the general public, unless the prices of the films are greatly reduced. I'm sure most consumers would prefer to have a physical copy that they can play in their standalone players in their entertainment centers, mobile dvd players, and computers if they choose.

Good thought...mmh should i have the actual DVD, with a nice case, cover, and the ability to play it in more than one dvd drive?

They have the idea right....but with a wacked up game plan..like buy this cd..or download it for same price but can only play it on one computer...lil weird?

Good luck with this one WB...prolly not... :twisted:
king8654

Postby Fartingbob » Tue May 09, 2006 5:25 am

Yes, this is possbly worse than the current movie download sites that charge more than a DVD, and give you substantially less.
They charge you full price to download the movie (and although it doesnt say the size of the file, you can expect to get less than DVD size here), then they expect you to use your own bandwidth to share it with others who pay warner brothers, not you. So you, being a distributor, dont get paid. You could say this is a step backwards from the current system, at least everyone gets paid with that.

Also, i wonder how they will be able to keep it 100% secure. They will need more protection than private trackers, and probably have to use a special client to prevent hackers.

Still looking for a single reason why anybody should buy this.......
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby SlyckScratch » Tue May 09, 2006 5:27 am

...movies will be sold for about the price of buying a DVD

And they'll sell your upload bandwidth so that others can download at this price. What a deal - this is going to rip the net up :roll:
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby Fartingbob » Tue May 09, 2006 5:33 am

Another point to consider, what happens when your connection gets throttled because your using bit torrent. Would you be entitled to get your money back from warner bros because you paid $15 to download something and find it wont go faster than dial up speeds?
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Issues...

Postby king8654 » Tue May 09, 2006 5:43 am

So many freggin issues surrounding this...makes me wanna charbroil WB and their decesion to do this.

Use our b/w for their sake of overcharging us to get them a bigger yacht and supposedly save the movie industry and furthur down the road the world.

Reminds me of pinky and the brain as a kid...
Which would make the MPAA and RIAA...rats?
Right on :twisted:
king8654

Postby azitler » Tue May 09, 2006 6:09 am

Ridiculous. How do the people running these companies become so rich when they are obviously so totally stupid.

Who in their right mind is going to go for a download that plays only on a single PC over a DVD that you can play anywhere and even sell on if you want to?

If the price was half that of the DVD - maybe
If it came out well before the DVD - maybe

As it stands now, next to no-one is going to go for this and certainly not anyone who has been getting their movies via Bittorrent or P2P for years already.

The only reason I can see the movie companies doing it this way is that it is another arrow in their legal quiver. "Well we made the movies available online so there really was no need for Johhny Pirate to download it illegally, m'lud".

Makes me sick.
azitler

Nahhh....

Postby king8654 » Tue May 09, 2006 6:20 am

I wudnt pay half the price for half the quality DRM encased video file..

Blockbuster Employee...comeeee on!
Get em early, Get em Fast
Christmas every monday afternoon :twisted:
king8654

Postby blargh » Tue May 09, 2006 8:03 am

Now, taking this article, and pitting it against the interview made with Bittorrent inc makes it seem hilariously obvious now doesn't it?

Yeah, caring for the consumer , allow me to laugh maniacally :D

edit: sorry, the word consumer needs to be replaced with "community" >)
blargh

Community?

Postby king8654 » Tue May 09, 2006 8:40 am

"Community" is the term for Ashwin to make quite a bit of money off this deal and basically have sex with WB.

Hey, anything's possible

:twisted:
king8654

Postby AussieMatt » Tue May 09, 2006 9:37 am

Fartingbob wrote:Yes, this is possbly worse than the current movie download sites that charge more than a DVD, and give you substantially less.
They charge you full price to download the movie (and although it doesnt say the size of the file, you can expect to get less than DVD size here), then they expect you to use your own bandwidth to share it with others who pay warner brothers, not you. So you, being a distributor, dont get paid. You could say this is a step backwards from the current system, at least everyone gets paid with that.

Also, i wonder how they will be able to keep it 100% secure. They will need more protection than private trackers, and probably have to use a special client to prevent hackers.

Still looking for a single reason why anybody should buy this.......

Peer Impact at least gives you a bit of a payback for re-distributing content and they operate a closed p2p network to keep the content owners happy .

They are supposed to be launching thier movie service very soon with content From NBC\Universal to start with .
Last edited by AussieMatt on Tue May 09, 2006 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
AussieMatt

Good Idea

Postby king8654 » Tue May 09, 2006 9:39 am

Peer Impact is definetly "better" than this new WB plan with bittorrent, IF "better" can even be used in this situation. They give you credit for your upload, so little fair. Still f'en blah :twisted:
king8654

Postby liberator » Tue May 09, 2006 11:03 am

How can a closed proprietary "patented" system (scam) be better in any way? At least until further proof BitTorrent (tm) is an open protocol, even though slightly less open than what we thought some time ago.
liberator

Postby king8654 » Tue May 09, 2006 11:51 am

Scam? Peer Impact?

Peer Impact to my knowledge is quite legit, as i believe they have deals with NBC for distribution.

NBC Universal makes deal with Peer Impact
king8654

Postby AussieMatt » Tue May 09, 2006 12:05 pm

Peer Impact's developers also started and still support

FuthurNet a open source live music p2p sharing community that was developed and released before Bittorrent.

http://www.furthurnet.org/index.php
AussieMatt

Postby liberator » Tue May 09, 2006 12:11 pm

Do they also donate 5% of their Christmas bonus to charity?
liberator

Postby king8654 » Tue May 09, 2006 12:17 pm

Peer Impact's developers also started and still support

FuthurNet a open source live music p2p sharing community that was developed and released before Bittorrent.

http://www.furthurnet.org/index.php

Thanks for that info buddy, checked it out, and great program and idea. See, legality is possible. :twisted:
king8654

Postby zim » Tue May 09, 2006 12:18 pm

they are making it LOOK like they want to sell movies.

but by keeping the prices high, drm, and other bs. they are giving people a crappy option of downloading only so they can point to it later and blame piracy for their low online sales. "Hey we tried but they still rather steal! we need more laws!"

They have no intention at all of trying to make this work. Its being setup to fail as an excuse and scapegoat for later.

making a SHOW of selling downloadable movies. But an actual fair worthwhile service worth using? Nope. Not one bit.

they are greedy sub-human scum. :evil:
zim

Postby AussieMatt » Tue May 09, 2006 12:19 pm

liberator wrote:Do they also donate 5% of their Christmas bonus to charity?

No Peer Impact prefers to give up to 5% of a purchase to uploaders ;).

If you want to give money to charity look here

http://www.peerimpact.com/info/peerresponse.html
Last edited by AussieMatt on Tue May 09, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AussieMatt

Postby TheContender » Tue May 09, 2006 12:21 pm

Legitimisation of P2P is going to happen. And it is going to be the biggest threat to P2P. This deal is only one of the first.

Is it such a bad thing? Not if they keep their prices low and quality high. If the quality is poor of the movies is poor and the price of a download too much, expect it to fail dismally.
TheContender

Postby liberator » Tue May 09, 2006 12:32 pm

:D You're very well prepared. A true PR. But your reasoning is that of a PR as well. They "prefer" to give something to uploaders. What if they stopped? What would their unique selling proposition be? We all know BitTorrent's (tm).
liberator

Postby timmyfl » Tue May 09, 2006 1:46 pm

The only good that can be seen out of this that Austrilian and Canadian ISP will have to "un-throttle" peoples bandwidth for this to work effectively; if that
thats the right word to use.
cable theft is a victimless crime!
timmyfl

Postby eMbry00s » Tue May 09, 2006 6:26 pm

The idea isn't to start selling stuff via the internet, the idea is to fail.

After they have (deliberately) failed this, they can tell the judges that selling content on the internet did not work, and since it isn't useful for anything productive it should be restricted so people can't pirate stuff.
eMbry00s

Postby zim » Tue May 09, 2006 8:16 pm

eMbry00s wrote:The idea isn't to start selling stuff via the internet, the idea is to fail.

After they have (deliberately) failed this, they can tell the judges that selling content on the internet did not work, and since it isn't useful for anything productive it should be restricted so people can't pirate stuff.

yep. they are scum.
zim

Return to File-Sharing News