Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

MPAA lawsuit vs. NZB sites

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

MPAA lawsuit vs. NZB sites

Postby psxcite » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:44 pm

http://mpaa.org/press_releases/2006_02_23.pdf
http://www.boingboing.net/2006/02/23...lawsuits_.html

And who was saying they wouldn't bring a suit against NZB sites?

The usenet cat is out of the bag..
psxcite

Postby carcassfan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:56 pm

wow! this REALLY sucks...it was only a matter of time.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
Tekk wrote:most of the things being pirated are obscure mexican bands
carcassfan

Postby Allied » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:58 pm

They're going to need all their high priced lawyers to take down the NZB super powers. NewzBin, GigaNews, YottaNews, NewsLeecher, etc.. they've all got money :twisted: Fight!
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby d9binnews » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:13 am

Well, we at binnews have not been given anything. We found out just like you guys, from the news sites. We are waiting to see what the documents say but we have never received anything from them. It goes without saying, we plan on fighting this as far as it needs to go.
d9binnews

Postby carcassfan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:16 am

we plan on fighting this as far as it needs to go.

well, if you really are affiliated with binnews, thats great to know...thanks for stopping by and keep us updated.
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
Tekk wrote:most of the things being pirated are obscure mexican bands
carcassfan

Postby max2 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:25 am

carcassfan wrote:
we plan on fighting this as far as it needs to go.

well, if you really are affiliated with binnews, thats great to know...thanks for stopping by and keep us updated.

binnews is the great grand daddy of usenet indexing. Even before newzbin.

They will fight back! They have some pretty deep pockets I would say!
max2

Postby d9binnews » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:40 am

we have been storing funds for just this. People got pissed when we first started charging (like 4 years ago) then they said we cost to much.. but its not like anyone was living large. We have been storing funds for just this occasion. Now all we need is some actual papers that make this lawsuit official.
d9binnews

Postby max2 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:41 am

d9binnews wrote:we have been storing funds for just this. People got pissed when we first started charging (like 4 years ago) then they said we cost to much.. but its not like anyone was living large. We have been storing funds for just this occasion. Now all we need is some actual papers that make this lawsuit official.

Awesome and good luck! I know you all will win because the future depends on you all!
max2

Postby d9binnews » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:50 am

well we will not go down without a fight. our only concern at this late hour is hosting.. we are currently looking for an overseas host just in case they decide to go after our provider. We cant fault them if they waiver, so we want to be ready to flip the switch to a backup server overseas. If anyone has any suggestions, please either PM here or email.

thanks and gods speed
d9binnews

Postby JunqueMan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:15 am

From the NZB-Zone forums:

Hellster wrote:Yeah i only just found out it's real myself , either way we don't know exactly what's happening as yet as there has been no contact from them yet , guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 pm

limey wrote:When we see any official document in our hands then we will comment, that's all that really needs to said for now, lol.

And no, nothing is changing, apart from we removed the stats, such as the 'total NZB's downloaded (since nzbzone went live)', cos they used that figure to say we 'hosted' that many files, lmao.

That's one hell of an nzb/header retention... 3.3 million "NZBs"
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:10 pm

It seems like from the above quotes from two Site Admins over at NZB-Zone that they haven't been served yet. Wonder why they announced the suits before serving at least some of the defendants? :?

Junque Man
"Pass me another cold Pawtucket Patriot..."
JunqueMan

Postby max2 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:18 am

JunqueMan wrote:From the NZB-Zone forums:

Hellster wrote:Yeah i only just found out it's real myself , either way we don't know exactly what's happening as yet as there has been no contact from them yet , guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:09 pm

limey wrote:When we see any official document in our hands then we will comment, that's all that really needs to said for now, lol.

And no, nothing is changing, apart from we removed the stats, such as the 'total NZB's downloaded (since nzbzone went live)', cos they used that figure to say we 'hosted' that many files, lmao.

That's one hell of an nzb/header retention... 3.3 million "NZBs"
Posted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:10 pm

It seems like from the above quotes from two Site Admins over at NZB-Zone that they haven't been served yet. Wonder why they announced the suits before serving at least some of the defendants? :?

Junque Man

Maybe the MPAA is playing the stupid game where no one really thinks its serious even after a official press release then bam the MPAA then goes in for the silent attack the next day or two ? I don't know. Time will tell.
max2

Postby Gausselimination » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:08 am

id hate to see some of these nice sites go down....hopefully they will battle it.

but lets not forget, its not the end of the world....usenet is still full of great stuff without nzb's.....always has been.
Gausselimination

Postby psxcite » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:15 am

No NZBs? Thats like saying,"No biggie. We can get rid of these electric lights and go back to candles."

It'll never happen. If anything, nzb sites will go private and underground. Hopefully they can pull their resources and get a defense fund together.
psxcite

Postby Gausselimination » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:21 am

if they're smart they will look for help from the major usenet providers. they are in the business of keeping business, and if nzb sites go, so do a lot of noobs...i mean customers....that dont know anything else than nzb's.
Gausselimination

Postby fernandose » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:28 am

Hmm i guess they are going for nzb sites whose servers are situated in the US. Because as far as i know newzmonster, binage, nzbrus were not hit could be because they hosted in europe.
fernandose

Postby JunqueMan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:39 am

psxcite wrote:No NZBs? Thats like saying,"No biggie. We can get rid of these electric lights and go back to candles."

I never used nzb's till about a year ago. Never even heard of them before that. So if the indexing sites get taken down I'll just go back to the old fashioned method of looking through the usenet groups by hand. No big deal, just an inconvenience.

I'll only worry when they actually go after the usenet hosting sites or individual ISP's in particular.

Junque Man
JunqueMan

Postby beaver » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:54 am

Assuming they were able to prevent sites from disseminating .nzb files entirely, it'd still be legal to maintain a webpage of text simply listing what has been posted in each group every day.

How it works now:

1. Browse Newzbin (for example). Find whatchalike.
2. Download .nzb
3. Open reader, leech. Watch movie.

After MPAA makes .nzb use terrorist activity:

1. Browse .nzb-neutered Newzbin. Find watchalike.
2. Open reader. Grab headers for listed group.
3. Right click one appropriate header and Smart Select All, leech. Watch movie.

Not much difference really. Yawn.
And God said, Let there be usenet: and there was usenet.
beaver

Postby tm, » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:00 am

If the copyright cartel shuts down the NZB websites, they could easily just post all their NZB files directly on Usenet - and even do so anonymously. :)

While there are some NZBs already being posted, the few that exist appear to be mainly from the uploaders themselves. The chief obstacle is that running a major indexing operation like Newzmonster's "Grass Cutter" costs money, and posting the NZBs on newsgroups instead of running a website is not going to generate advertising revenue like website banners will.
tm,

Postby JunqueMan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:27 am

beaver wrote:After MPAA makes .nzb use terrorist activity:

1. Browse .nzb-neutered Newzbin. Find watchalike.
2. Open reader. Grab headers for listed group.
3. Right click one appropriate header and Smart Select All, leech. Watch movie.

Not much difference really. Yawn.

I'm guessing that if they shut them down, they'll be completely shut down in a 'worse case scenario'.

If that's the case I'd just:

1. Load the headers for my favorite group(s) in NewsLeecher.
2. Do a text search for what I'm looking for.
3. Download the related articles. Enjoy.

Junque Man
JunqueMan

Postby psxcite » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:59 am

Yea, of course we can still use headers. NZBs haven't been around that long. But do you guys realize how much usenet has grown in the past year alone? And it will only get bigger.

I refuse to go back to downloading the headers for a.b.boneless for an hour and filtering through the junk for the gems. Regardless of what happens in the courts. NZBs are here to stay. Legal or not.
psxcite

Postby laffomatic » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:33 am

There are tons of other sites which provide free nzb's. Also a lot of (some private) dutch communities like ftd, ftn etc. Trying to bring down nzb sites wouldn't hurt usenet at all I think. Its probably just as hopeless as trying to bring torrent sites down because such websites will always be around.
laffomatic

Postby ukj » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:59 am

There just needs to be a dedicated newsgroup which contains NZB files. I know there are NZB bin groups but I cant see a central one and whats available isnt populated with all the stuff thats available via the nzb sites.
ukj

Postby abou105 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:18 am

its still not good news to hear. I really wanna get to use newsgroups and from what i know NZBs are the easiest way to do it.

Man it sucks when this stuff happens but as with ed2k alot of attention gets drawn to services when they are made easier to use just as it was the the explosion of index sites for ed2k so it was expected and at the end of the day nawsgroups was the main source of movies before they filter down u know.
Information is so valuable in todays society, its understandable people want to lock it up, but the internet is about freedom of information, lets not take that away.
abou105

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:14 pm

Yea my first reaction was that the MPAA hasent got a leg to stand on in such a case, if sites decide to close, more will pop up, or you will have an exsisting one that is in some p2p friendly country (like TPB in sweden) and that will be easy and simple to use and it wont harm us at all.
And it will only bring attention to usenet, which is a good thing since more paying customers means better service.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby IceCube » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:08 pm

It appears as though TVNZB has shut down:

TVNZB wrote:check this space for more news... tvnzb is for sale. If you would like to make an offer email jon (at) binnzb.com
For those of you looking to fill the void we left, I highly recommend easynews. They have an AWESOME searching feature and http downloads. http://www.easynews.com. Give em a try for a month and I think you'll like them.
Jon

For more info, join our IRC channel (#binnzb on efnet)
IceCube

Next

Return to NewsGroups