Slyck Chatbox - And More

The most downloaded files on emule/edonkey network

Discussion about the eMule program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

The most downloaded files on emule/edonkey network

Postby sebasto » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:09 am

Hello,

I am trying to build a site which displays statistics about the most downloaded files on the network.
The site is working since a few month now, but I think there is still a lot of room for improvement.

I'd like very much to have some user's return about it. Is the information interresting ? Understadable ? Complete enought ? Are there some missing statistics that you'd like to see ?

If some of you could have a look : http://www.p2p-top50.com and take 1 min to tell me what he thinks, it would be very appreciated.

Thank you very much,

Sebasto.
sebasto

Postby LANjackal » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:15 am

Nice site. Loads fast too. Needs a newsfeed. Atom or RSS, either will work. Good job :).
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby in_hiding » Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:37 am

• Nothing appears in any of the charts for me. Are they really empty or is it a coding issue? (I'm browsing with Opera 8.51 for Windows; images, plug-ins, Java & JavaScript all enabled)
  • IMHO it would be very good to have some explanation of how you create these charts. For example, here's how BigChampagne claim to do it.
And now some free proof-reading (sorry, I can't help it :oops: ):
  • Textes >>> Texts or Documents
  • Did you ever wonder what do people download using file sharing ? >>> Did you ever wonder what people download using file sharing?
  • always have an antirus software and an antispyware running >>> always have an antivirus and an antispyware program running
  • virus and spyware are common >>> viruses [or virii] and spyware are common
  • one of these p2p software >>> one of these p2p programs
  • you will be able to verify by yourself what it contains>>> you will be able to verify what it contains yourself
  • please send me a mail >>> please send me an email

I look forward to your charts and the progress of this site. :)
in_hiding

Postby sebasto » Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:56 am

Thank you very much for those remarks.
LANjackal wrote:Nice site. Loads fast too. Needs a newsfeed. Atom or RSS, either will work.

I will try to implement an rss feed. What would you like to see in it ? Absolute Top 10 ? Top 10 for each category ? News ? (...) ?

in_hiding wrote:
  • Nothing appears in any of the charts for me. Are they really empty or is it a coding issue? (I'm browsing with Opera 8.51 for Windows; images, plug-ins, Java & JavaScript all enabled)

Charts are implemented in css. The site is html and css validated at w3.org. Is there any known problem for opera at handling css ?

in_hiding wrote:

• IMHO it would be very good to have some explanation of how you create these charts. For example, here's how BigChampagne claim to do it.

Well, I know I need to give more explanations about how I do things, but actually I spend all my time on the crawlers. As soon as I will be satisfied with the data they gather, I will try to add more textual content to the site.

Imho bigchampagne does give some informations, but no details about how they estimates downloads amounts, just that they 'monitor network 24/24' ...

in_hiding wrote:And now some free proof-reading (sorry, I can't help it :oops: ):
  • Textes >>> Texts or Documents
  • Did you ever wonder what do people download using file sharing ? >>> Did you ever wonder what people download using file sharing?
  • always have an antirus software and an antispyware running >>> always have an antivirus and an antispyware program running
  • virus and spyware are common >>> viruses [or virii] and spyware are common
  • one of these p2p software >>> one of these p2p programs
  • you will be able to verify by yourself what it contains>>> you will be able to verify what it contains yourself
  • please send me a mail >>> please send me an email
I look forward to your charts and the progress of this site. :)

Well, you know, I'm french, so my english is not very good. Thank you for those corrections, I made the changes in my scripts, they should be visible tomorrow.

Thank you very much,

Sebasto.

If anyone have any other comments, they are more than welcome ...
sebasto

Postby Skyway » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:38 pm

I like your site. Its interesting seeing what is in the top 50's
Skyway

Postby IceCube » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:20 pm

Want a file that will add approximately 60-100 users onto your queue? Download the movie, "Star Wreck - In the Pirkinning" and watch the line get long once completed :shock:

It's copyleft, so perfectly legal to share of course ;)

Check this specific link out:
http://content.emule-project.net/view.php?pid=1207

For full affect, I recomend getting both movies (with and without subs) I can't believe how much my line has increased exponentially since sharing these things!
IceCube

Postby in_hiding » Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:11 pm

re: empty charts
I still get the same problem: nothing visible... until I switch from Author Mode to User Mode (which I think ignores the website's CSS and implements some CSS selected by the Opera user).. Now I can see the files in the charts!

I went back to Author Mode to check if it was maybe an issue of white text on white background or something, but trying to select within the chart highlighted nothing.

So in Author mode I just don't get the chart text at all, but I do in User Mode.

re: chart-creation method
sorry, I didn't mean that you should write something as detailed as BigChampagne immediately; just a sentence or two of explanation. For example in your reply you mention a crawler; that is already more info than is on the site at the moment.

Keep up the good work!
in_hiding

Postby P0ps » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:55 am

I like it, its clean and clinical.

I wonder if sites like yours affect the demand for files; as in do the more popular ones get more popular because you show them as being well populated adn highly available?

Do you have any stats on the numbers of clicks on the ed2k links you give for the good versions?

And how do you do it? I seem to spend ages looking for the good files and still get the slow or virused versions. :-(

P0ps
P0ps

Postby sebasto » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:42 am

Hi,

I don't think my site affect demand. The traffic is not very high compared to the number of downloaders.

In order to have an idea, I include "via_www.p2p-top50.com" in the ed2k link. I searched for this string on emule, and it confirms that only a few people use those links.

I use this occasion to signal that after a lot of work, charts by country are available (for fr,es,it and de) and now for each file you have an estimation of the localization of the downloaders.

Feedback very apppreciated ...

Thanks,

Sebasto.
sebasto

Postby hacker90 » Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:43 am

Nice site you have there sebasto. Interesting to see what files are on top. On my Favs list now.

Hacker
hacker90

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:18 am

Why do you need an enter link? Otherwise a good site.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby LaX » Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:20 am

Thats a pretty good site. Site loads fast, looks organized and clear.

Whats that fakes.rar file? It has so many sources

Nice sweet ava you got there SlyckTom.
LaX

Postby in_hiding » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:57 pm

IIRC...

fakes.rar is one of the ways to avoid fake files, used by certain eMule mods.

people submit hashes with correct info to some aggregator, who then verifies and adds the info to a fakes file.

When one of the files turns up in your search, it is flagged as suspect, and the correct file name is shown in a special column.

MorphXT (the mod I use) uses fakes.dat, downloaded via http from emulepawcio@sourceforge. But other mods rely on fakes.rar distributed through ed2k itself.

Not sure how/if these files are being updated, since the main fakes site, DonkeyFakes.de, has stopped operating due to legal concerns. Any info on the fakes.rar/dat situation would be much appreciated.
in_hiding

Postby abou105 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:05 am

cool site, worth a look

good job man
abou105

Postby Repzak » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:37 pm

A very intriguing idea and a nice looking site.

I'm left wondering about the total dominance of Spanish titles with a little sprinkling of French. I do realize a lot of people speak Spanish (Argentina, Mexico, and a lot of smaller countries in Middle and South America), but it still seems abnormally high to me, and the French titles seem even more strange.

Is it possible that your stats are slanted heavily based on your location (France)?
Repzak

Postby sebasto » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:56 am

Hi,

Yes, it surprised me.
Of course, there is the possibility of a bias, but I've tryed a lot of things and wasn't able to identify it.

After verifications, (stats are displayed in file details), spanish and french files seems to be downloaded from spain and france, so it is not because those languages are spoken wordwide that those files appear, but because spanish and french people use emule a lot !

To me, the explanation is that emule is widely used in those countries, being by far the most popular p2p software. I guess in USA, other softwares are also used (bitorrent,...) and take 'market shares' to emule.

Being french, I can assure you that emule is the best p2p network if you want to find localized movies, and p2p is very popular in my country with all those high-speed adsl access.

At the end, it is not so surprising to see that there are almost the same number of french/spanish/... users than american users, even if the populations of those countries are very different.

If I take a 'neutral' file widely spread on the network : emule-47.a, my stats for the countries where it is downloaded are :

US 16% ES 15% IT 12% FR 11% DE 6%
sebasto

Postby Ratt » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:15 am

sebasto wrote:If I take a 'neutral' file widely spread on the network : emule-47.a, my stats for the countries where it is downloaded are :

US 16% ES 15% IT 12% FR 11% DE 6%

Bloody hell, quite a few Spaniards. Funny, I wouldn't have expected the Germans to be dead last.
Ratt

Postby in_hiding » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:46 pm

Ratt wrote:Funny, I wouldn't have expected the Germans to be dead last.
I expect that's because they're mod-crazy, instead of using & sharing the 'official' client.
in_hiding

Return to eMule / kad