Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Kazaa Says No to Australians

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Kazaa Says No to Australians

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:34 pm

Just before the stroke midnight in Sydney, Australia, the Kazaa homepage was altered as expected. Yet there are no pop-ups and no changes to the key word filter. Instead, large red letters appear towards the top of the homepage, warning Australians against the use of Kazaa.

<i>Attention Users in Australia: To comply with order of the Federal Court of Australia, pending an appeal in February 2006, use of the Kazaa Media Desktop is not permitted by persons in Australia. If you are in Australia, you must not download or use the Kazaa Media Desktop.</i>

Other than the above warning, it does not appear that Sharman Networks has made any changes to the Kazaa client. But to Australian users, a much different story exists. When an individual with an ".au" IP address attempts to reach Kazaa.com, an inhibitive website <a href=http://au.kazaa.com/ target=_blank>appears</a>. The website warns users "Important Notice: The download of the Kazaa Media Desktop by users in Australia is not permitted."

The rest of the world can see the recognizable Kazaa.com with only the first "Attention" message. All download links and other pages on the site funtion normally. For Australians, the second warning message is all that appears. No site navigation and no download links are available.

<b>Update:</b> Although the Kazaa homepage is unavailable to Australian users, the FastTrack network is still accessible. There were some conflicting reports this morning as to whether Australians were also cut off from connecting to FastTrack, however at this time it does not appear to be the case.

It was expected that Sharman Networks would release a new Kazaa client with 3,000 additional key words added to their existing filter. This does not appear to be the case, at least for now. The banner that Sharman Networks opted for is a far cry from the technical resolution that was anticipated. In all fairness, it's possible the banner may be the start of an extended effort by Sharman Networks.

However judging by the lack of updates in over three years to the Kazaa client, many are questioning whether Sharman Networks even has the technical resources to successfully upgrade their software. The extensive blanket action by Sharman only furthers this speculation.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby zbeast » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:41 pm

ok, now thats funny.
I'm no legal wiz, as a matter of fact. It's one of the few subjects
that I dont have any books on. Nore have done any study of, except traffic law.
I have to beat those traffic tickets.

But who knows this may work. Kazaa you little Bugga.
zbeast

Postby Allied » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:51 pm

:lol: I'm sure the RIAA will want a ban on American users next.

Judging by the lack of updates in over three years to the Kazaa client, many are questioning whether Sharman Networks even has the technical resources to successfully upgrade their software.

ROTFL :D
Last edited by Allied on Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby Dormant707 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:54 pm

SlyckTom wrote:Judging by the lack of updates in over three years to the Kazaa client, many are questioning whether Sharman Networks even has the technical resources to successfully upgrade their software.

A good one from Zim!

Zim wrote:And really its been a LONG time since kazaa got updated at all. i doubt they have the skill to change anything now.
Dormant707

Postby squirm » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:59 pm

But can Australians can still download the software?

I assume this moves the responsibility to the individual. Not a bad idea, now will the court accept that?
squirm

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:05 pm

A couple of good points squirm...I edited the aritle to reflect them...

Australians can still download and participate on the FastTrack network.
SlyckTom

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:19 pm

So this will stop....nothing. Aussies can still get on, and then still download songs that they shouldnt. IMO it wont hold up in court, they'll get told to do alot more proactive stuff than make a banner.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:38 pm

It would seem we Aussies can't get at the software at all. Just tried (boredom, I guess), and no matter how I try to acces the site I get the same warning page only. No links to click through it. Tried downloading from a third party that links direct to the software for download, and the Kazaa site blocks that as well.

So it would seem that no, Australians cannot download the software now. (why that's a bad thing still eludes me though...)
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:56 pm

If you could, try accessing Kazaa.com from a proxy...
SlyckTom

Postby ToM » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:59 pm

Australian users can no longer download the software via a .au IP.

Kazaa.com redirects to http://au.kazaa.com if you attempt to connect from Australia.

Screenshot:
Click.
Last edited by ToM on Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:00 pm

I wonder if they can connect to the network though...has anyone tried?
SlyckTom

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:04 pm

Not sure about connecting to the network. I haven't got an installer for kazaa here to test it, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say I got a feeling it will reject.
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby zim » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:08 pm

they prolly can still connect to the network. but it might take a little work.

if they fixed their main peer cache they could just ignore anyone from au directly.

but even then all the user needs is a current users ip to get back into the network.

same trick we used when they tried to cut kazaa lite off from the network.

a simple .reg file would be all NEW au kazaa users would need to get in.
zim

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:12 pm

I agree...it prolly will reject them initially.

Very interesting...
SlyckTom

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:16 pm

zim wrote:they prolly can still connect to the network. but it might take a little work.

Effectively making it the onus of the user...
It will however prevent the 90% of the sheep who have no idea how.

zim wrote:a simple .reg file would be all NEW au kazaa users would need to get in.

umm, and a lobotomy for actually wanting to... :?:
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby zim » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:19 pm

could test this easily... (if you were in AU)

grab kazaa lite and see if it will get on the network while in AU. no risk of spyware infection that way.

i think they would have done it tho. modifying the peer cache server is still within their realm of ability.
zim

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:25 pm

Actually, if anyone can route themselves through an Australian proxy and use either KCeasy or Kazaa lite, that would be a huge help!
SlyckTom

Postby NocturnalVagabond » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:48 pm

Tried a standard setup with Lite but could not make a connection. Can probably find a way around this, but I haven't used that network since the days of the original K-lite software.
NocturnalVagabond
Tin Foil Hat Salesperson

Postby bitz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:54 pm

I really don't see where this is going to change anything, other than reducing the number of people running the kazaa media desktop. They will move to klite and there are many places to download it from.
bitz

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:58 pm

Well I think Klite also uses the same main peer cache...so they may be out of luck also. But if they use Klite they'll be able to wiggle their way out of this easier then KMD users...
SlyckTom

Postby music66bandit » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:14 pm

Kazza is horrible anyways this is doing them a favor in that they will find other better clients that hopefully aren’t filled with a bunch of spyware
music66bandit

Postby altpdend » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:24 pm

SlyckTom wrote:A couple of good points squirm...I edited the aritle to reflect them...

Australians can still download and participate on the FastTrack network.

I am confussed can Australians use fasttrack if kmd is already installed or not?
altpdend

Postby Cybergenetic » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:36 pm

Anyone heard of the new network that Kazaa connects to?.

It's called ''ultra gay'', and is very resourceful.
Always read the small print.
Cybergenetic

Postby zim » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:37 pm

altpdend wrote:I am confussed can Australians use fasttrack if kmd is already installed or not?

I believe so. yep.

So long as the person doesnt leave kazaa offline long enough for all the cached peers to become useless and then need a new list from the main ip cache run by the sharman peoples.

(6mo-year would do it)
zim

Postby ejonesss » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:38 pm

has anyone heard of a proxy server?

it is a way to fool a network into connecting.

iphantom.com/ maybe a good place for hardware proxy and from what they say it works on the ethernet level instead of just 1 or 2 types of probrams like notmal proxies do.

also maybe kazaa should move to brazil because according to http://www.epirate.net/ piracy is legal in brazil.
ejonesss

Next

Return to Slyck News