Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

µTorrent 1.2 Released

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

µTorrent 1.2 Released

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:02 pm

uTorrent has quickly become one of the most popular BitTorrent clients in the file-sharing community. It's rise to popularily has been aided by its remarkably small footprint. The total file size is only 102 kilobytes, and uses little more than 5K of memory.

These charactaristics represent µTorrent's latest iteration, version 1.2. What continues to impress is this release introduces several new features, including mainline DHT (Distributed Hash Table) support.

BitTorrent clients with DHT support are often referred to as "trackerless" clients. This terminology can be misleading, as it implies no reliance on trackers. Rather, BitTorrent clients with DHT support is a network layer that functions on top of the the BitTorrent protocol.

From our <a href=http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=822 target=_blank>BitComet</a> explination:

For example, let's assume there are 50 µTorrent clients participating on a network. In addition, say these 50 µTorrent clients are using "A Great Tracker" as their index. These µTorrent clients will work together to create a virtual index of information currently traded on "A Great Tracker."

Under previous circumstances, if you were downloading "A Great Song.mp3" from that network of µTorrent users and the tracker went down, the swarm would be lost. However with the DHT layer also indexing the torrent file, it would act like a tracker by continuing the swarms and find additional sources.

µTorrent's DHT implimentation is compatible with mainline clients, such as BitTorrent Beta and BitComet, but not Azureus.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby irish » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:06 pm

Well done µTorrent. Once it's DHT is compatible with azureus it will really take off.
irish

Postby Allied » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:15 pm

I gave uTorrent a 2nd shot today. The DHT support puts it over the top with me. BitComet's days are numbered.

On the subject of DHT. Doesn't BitSpirit use the same DHT network and uTorrent/BitComet/ Official?
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby Nick » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:25 pm

I gave uTorrent a 2nd shot today. The DHT support puts it over the top with me. BitComet's days are numbered.

Thanks.

It's time I gave it a second go. It seemed to be extremely slow the first time, probably a ports issue, although extremely light on resources.
Nick

Postby LANjackal » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:26 pm

irish wrote:Well done µTorrent. Once it's DHT is compatible with azureus it will really take off.

I am left to wonder at Azureus' decision to implement a DHT solution that is incompatible with the mainline client and just about every other one. If anything, I think Azureus should be moving to support the mainline DHT, not other clients moving to support Azureus' implementation.

The addition of DHT functionality may see me giving uTorrent a spin again (probably tonight). I'll post back on what I think.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby ToM » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:32 pm

SlyckNick wrote:

Thanks.

It's time I gave it a second go. It seemed to be extremely slow the first time, probably a ports issue, although extremely light on resources.

Speed issues (at least for myself and a couple of others) with the older 1.x uTorrent clients seemed to be resolved by unchecking "Connect to peers slowly" (or something similar) in Advanced options, an option which probably existed because many people have problems with connection drops whilst running BitTorrent. Unless I'm overlooking it, this option seems to be removed in 1.2 anyway, so you could well find 1.2 performs well for you straight out of the box. :)
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby Andu » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:21 pm

LANjackal wrote:
irish wrote:Well done µTorrent. Once it's DHT is compatible with azureus it will really take off.

I am left to wonder at Azureus' decision to implement a DHT solution that is incompatible with the mainline client and just about every other one. If anything, I think Azureus should be moving to support the mainline DHT, not other clients moving to support Azureus' implementation.

The addition of DHT functionality may see me giving uTorrent a spin again (probably tonight). I'll post back on what I think.

That might be because Azureus released it's DHT first.

Anyway I wonder if utorrents does handle multiple downloads and the seeding of multiple files.
Andu

Postby Allied » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:28 pm

A screenshot from utorrent,
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/941/ex3ke.gif
What's eXCasius-J?
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby LANjackal » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:10 pm

Andu wrote:That might be because Azureus released it's DHT first.

Touche.
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Nick » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:18 pm

Speed issues (at least for myself and a couple of others) with the older 1.x uTorrent clients seemed to be resolved by unchecking "Connect to peers slowly" (or something similar) in Advanced options, an option which probably existed because many people have problems with connection drops whilst running BitTorrent. Unless I'm overlooking it, this option seems to be removed in 1.2 anyway, so you could well find 1.2 performs well for you straight out of the box

Cheers Tom, much appreciated. :-)
Nick

Postby alien x » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:33 pm

Allied wrote:I gave uTorrent a 2nd shot today. The DHT support puts it over the top with me. BitComet's days are numbered.

On the subject of DHT. Doesn't BitSpirit use the same DHT network and uTorrent/BitComet/ Official?

Yes BitSpirit uses the same DHT since version 3.0
alien x

Postby Overnet User » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:21 pm

I am going to try this one and maybe scrap my Anatomic P2P 0.1 RC1 - October 25 release date client. I just got Anatomic earlier today but I am going to give this one a shot.
Why Join The Fight?
http://www.eff.org/bloggers/join/
News Without Queues: Follow OvernetUser on Twitter http://twitter.com/OvernetUser
Overnet User

Postby bkman » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:19 pm

I wish it had supported Azureus's DHT implementation instead, as it has more users and less overhead.

It is my BT client of choice regardless, however.
bkman

Postby tater » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:39 pm

so is bitspirit any good??
i have tried Azureus sevral times, have spent hours pouring over the forums, and for me its always still a resource hog, and i get twice the speeds with bitcoment, but alas as time gomes on all p2p progs seem to bog down and slow down, 2 years ago i got much better speeds and i expect most others would say the same.. so im asking what the future for bittorent is gona be, i know alot say Azureus, but i am get slow speeds no mater waht, and by looking at many forums most agree.. so hopeing to get a technical intelligent answer, not so yahoo flameing are endorsing a cleint with no real proof?
tater

BitComet's Replacement. Period.

Postby LANjackal » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:03 am

I wasn't too impressed with the first release of uTorrent, due to its slow speeds and lack of DHT support.

I don't know if its dev team hangs out at Slyck, but it sure looks as if they read our minds. uTorrent now has DHT support, more useful options than BitComet, and about the same download speed performance.

The only thing I don't understand is that the software reports "NAT error" on my PC but still manages to handle torrents with aplomb, both with and and without DHT enabled. :? . Not too sure what to make of that.

The features of the client are as laid out in Slyck's articles, so I won't be redundant by going them over. I really do think that there's a new champ in town, however - uTorrent.

Wishlist: Support of Azureus DHT. Why is it that no client seems to support both DHT methods?

For the absolutely hardcore who want their BT experience extremely customized and can deal with getting it to work, Azureus will still be the first choice. But uTorrent has definitely taken BitComet's place.

EDIT: According to the uTorrent forums, Azureus will be switching to mainline DHT in the near future, so no support for it is necessary.
LANjackal

Postby asellus » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:52 am

Great program. Get Unicode and remote management feature in and Azureus will be uninstalled.
asellus

Postby Andu » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:44 am

Two DHTs are more of a problem than a help. If you support both you have twice the overhead which is quite a lot on a decent sized DHT network.

Anyway I gave utorrents a shot but it simply couldn't perform as well as Azureus. So I will keep an eye on it in the future and will switch when it evens out with Azureus in respects of the performance.
Andu

Postby Assyrian » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:06 am

µTorrent introduces DHT, still no "shut down computer after complete" feature.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby Trev0r269 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:58 am

I made the switch. uTorrent performs as well as Azureus for me, and its better looking imo (I keep windoze xp lookin like classic). I would have rather had it connect to Az DHT but, yesterday when a tracker was down and this DHT got the torrent downloading, I didn't care.

I do have one problem with uTorrent that is specific to this newer build with DHT support. For the first few minutes (literally 3-5) when I start a torrent download, the cpu use on my computer rockets to 90-100%. Then after this initial period, it calms down and runs normally.
Trev0r269

Postby LANjackal » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:08 am

Assyrian wrote:µTorrent introduces DHT, still no "shut down computer after complete" feature.

You actually turn your PC off? :shock:
LANjackal

Postby LaX » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:14 am

I like to have my pc off if all my downloads are done. No need to have my pc on doing nothing.
LaX

Postby Assyrian » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:33 am

LANjackal wrote:
Assyrian wrote:µTorrent introduces DHT, still no "shut down computer after complete" feature.

You actually turn your PC off? :shock:

only in summer, you wouldnt wanna leave ur PC running in this heat that australia has. also, i have peak and off-peak, off-peak is from 2am till 9am, theres no way im gonna wake up during that time to check how my downloads are doing.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby LANjackal » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:38 am

EDIT: Previous complaint here removed after further investigation revealed it to be a non-issue.

This is just a by-the-books complaint - uTorrent's UI terminology incorrectly treats leechers and peers as the same. That is not the case. A peer is anyone else in the swarm, while a leecher is another swarm member who has less than a 100% of the file being shared.

I hope they address this issue in future releases.
LANjackal

Postby Kenrin » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:13 pm

australia doesn't have a/c ? =P i think azureus needs to wake up and switch over to mainline, even if their DHT was created first they are the only client that doesn't use mainline now, it shouldn't be that hard to implement, and bitspirit is a spinoff BC clone so of course it uses mainline
Kenrin

Postby w00t » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:14 pm

Once uTorrent supports unicode then it's good-bye to every other client. According to their upcoming features thread, it appears that that will be here soon! Until then I'll stick with BitComet.
w00t

Next

Return to Slyck News