Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Apple's iTunes Sells 1 Million Videos

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Apple's iTunes Sells 1 Million Videos

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:10 pm

While some say the monopoly Apple has over the industry sanctioned music (and now video) service is a detriment, others feel its power keeps the music industry in check. Steve Jobs, co-founder and CEO of Apple, has managed to hold the line against the music label's desire to increase the price of the iTunes music store.

The music industry is largely unhappy with the current pricing scheme offered by Apple, and feels entitled to variable pricing. This would equate to higher prices for more popular music, and lower prices for everything else. However the lower pricing tier would be largely invisible since most of the music sold is top 40 and pop hits.

Steve Jobs appears to recognize, if only for Apple's best interests, that prices need to remain where they are if they stand any chance against free P2P networks. Calling music labels "greedy", he has maintained that iTunes' prices will remain where they are.

So far, Apple's control over the industry-sanctioned market appears to have paid off somewhat for the consumer. It is the only service that allows the individual to burn or transport music, albeit limited. In addition, if an individual terminates the service, their music collection doesn't vanish. Conversely, Napster and Yahoo continue to have trouble finding a market, as their rental service removes the subscriber's tracks once the service is terminated.

Building on their already established popularity, on October 12th Apple released their video iTunes store. This release coincided with the release of their video/MP3 iPod. It appears Apple is set to once again corner the industry-sanctioned market, as after 20 days it has already sold 1 million videos.

"Selling one million videos in less than 20 days strongly suggests there is a market for legal video downloads," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "Our next challenge is to broaden our content offerings, so that customers can enjoy watching more videos on their computers and new iPods."

True enough that 1 million videos in 20 days is an impressive feat. Whether this is simply a knee-jerk reaction to a new service or the start of yet another Apple dominated market remains to be seen.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby LANjackal » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:21 pm

A million in 20 days? I thought demand would be strong, but not THAT strong. I'm wondering if people are downloading the videos to their iPods or just watching them on iTunes? Looks like Apple has another hit on their hands.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby t-h-e-w-h-o » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:34 pm

all i can say IS STEVE IS ONE SMART MAN. No jokes. He understands that in order to compete with free illegal p2p they need to keep the prices low.
t-h-e-w-h-o

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:35 pm

Does anybody in here own that iPod where you can watch TV episodes such as Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc.?
If so how is the quality when you connect it to the TV SCART or whatever connection that's used to the TV?
Orochimaru

There will always be a small market for paying customer

Postby volt » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:46 pm

But why would anyone pay a weekly fee to Apple for a TV series when he can download it for free with no hastle through p2p is beyond me.

The only long term solution would be to pay a small monthly fee for video and music and then download what ever you want thorugh p2p without any limits.
volt

Postby IceCube » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:17 pm

Orochimaru wrote:Does anybody in here own that iPod where you can watch TV episodes such as Lost, Desperate Housewives, etc.?
If so how is the quality when you connect it to the TV SCART or whatever connection that's used to the TV?

I don't own one, but from what I've heard, it's like watching video on your scientific calculator. Sure it's nice and smooth and all, but it's on SUCH a TINY screen! If my guess is correct, it's on a small minature plasma screen, so the frame rate will probably be equivelent to that of a flat screen. Since all the video's were designed to be for an iPod, I'd imagine it would get quite grainy if you played it on a regular computer. Exceptions, of course, are things like vidcasts which are shifting nicely for them to the video iPod. The two latest episodes of Diggnation might give you an idea at what they are aiming for in terms of quality (I believe all the specs are there if you look around enough)
IceCube

Postby who_me » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:25 pm

who_me

Re: There will always be a small market for paying customer

Postby Christopher » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:41 pm

volt wrote:But why would anyone pay a weekly fee to Apple for a TV series when he can download it for free with no hastle through p2p is beyond me.

To take away the chance of being sued for thousands by HBO or another company. I'd pay just for the peace of mind.

volt wrote:The only long term solution would be to pay a small monthly fee for video and music and then download what ever you want thorugh p2p without any limits.

That might be good if there was just one big company called Hollywood. That might be good if all the companies got together and made one big organization that negotiated with p2p developers.
Unfortunately, neither one of those things is going to happen. NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN! I'm not being pessimistic here, I'm being realistic. The major studios and recording labels hate one anothers guts so much, that they would never agree to this.
I am not as stupid or naive as people would like to believe I am.
Christopher

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:42 pm

@IceCube
IC so we aren't talking about DivX, Xvid quality yet. And I thought that their new gadget would deliver High Definition goods, must've misread about it then somewhere as usual :roll: I was a little confused when I thought that such small gadget would have enough fire-power to fire up those HD-Quicktime-movies.

I was mistaken :oops: once again.
Orochimaru

Postby IceCube » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:02 pm

Don't worry about it, I've made myself look like a total idiot on a topic of Ed2K and eMule clients at one point.

But really, high definition on an iPod video tends to be a bit of a paradox :lol: I'm sure a lot of people get confused and go, "These videos in my iPod, they're High Definition, right?" Heh, anything that is reduced in size stands a good chance at improving it's quality... but it's still on a tiny little screen, so it wouldn't matter.

I'm waiting for someone to sue over it being a big distraction. "I was jogging down the sidewalk while watching my favorite Reality TV home makover show when I ran into a lampost. Since there was no warning labels on these devices, I'll sue for 12 million dollars because of the scratch on my forhead it caused!" :lol:
IceCube

Postby Orochimaru » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:35 pm

Oh man! Seeing the Capitalistic American System at its best, flexing its pride....That so painful to see :?

Makes me wonder how the americans even survive for the day, guess that's why it's OK to issue guns to them fools. So that they could put it in their mouth when they had it with it. Kind of saves the society from responsibility and doctors fee when you don't have to hire Dr. Mengele.
Orochimaru

Postby Scavenger » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:23 pm

I bought one of those video ipods and took it back after 3 days. Sure, it is very nice and much smaller than the other ipods, better battery life, larger screen and such, etc. But, the video is not too impressive and currently there are limits in the file types that can be played - which is the main reason that I didn't need the unit. Plus, I don't find myself away from home with nothing to do for 20-30 minutes and want to watch a TV show on a tiny screen.

I am impressed that Apple can sell so many videos in 20 days - kudos to them. I'm still for free though...
Scavenger

Postby vtwin0001 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:08 pm

I dont remember very well.. I think I saw somewhere some kind of portable device that can read XviD /DivX stuff (plus mp3s, of course) off a huge flash card (of course... being a flash card, forget about THAT huge, just big space for it)

I'd rather buy one of those and keep my good ol' better quality media than getting an overpriced fisher price toy called iPod.

EDIT: Plz dont bash me by saying "yes.. it's called Laptop computer" or stupid stuff like that

Thnx :D
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby Dog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:05 am

booooooooooooooo :evil: . P2P will be avenged!!! Do not support those greedy people. :twisted: :evil: :mrgreen:
    Home Build (Specs Below) -and- HP Pavilion dv7-1270us
    Windows 7 RTM x64 Ultimate BOTH Machines
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz Venice - ECS 755-A2 socket 754 mobo
    XFX PVT73AUDE3 7600GT XXX edition AGP - ASUS VH222H connected through DVI/laptop HDMI
    Seagate 250GB SATA 1.5Gbps drive - WD GreenPower 500GB 5400RPM drive pulled from My Book Essential
Dog

Postby Califax » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:06 am

Da Dog wrote:booooooooooooooo :evil: . P2P will be avenged!!! Do not support those greedy people. :twisted: :evil: :mrgreen:

Whats with you? I have seen your other rants. They are selling tv shows to make a profit, just like you would if you had a job in the television market. They are doing what we asked, offering shows for download legally
Califax

Postby BasicTek » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:57 am

Califax wrote:
Da Dog wrote:booooooooooooooo :evil: . P2P will be avenged!!! Do not support those greedy people. :twisted: :evil: :mrgreen:

Whats with you? I have seen your other rants. They are selling tv shows to make a profit, just like you would if you had a job in the television market. They are doing what we asked, offering shows for download legally

That's not what I asked for...

$60 a season for low quality, DRM's crap that can't even be burned until someone hacks it???

So now if you miss a TV ep that you paid for you can pay for it again for just $2.50??? Not my cup of tea sorry. :roll:
"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BasicTek

Postby JiMiThInG » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:21 am

I'm intrested in iTunes video but not to watch them on a dinky ipod video screen. They need to offer higher quality copy of the video's for people who may want to watch them on their PC's and/or TV's. I've been bitching for years that I have no legal option for TV downloads and for the most part I'm happy to see things starting to move in that direction. Now as soon as they can offer me a video in quality at least as good as what I can get via non legit means I'll consider paying up.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
JiMiThInG

Re: There will always be a small market for paying customer

Postby Username1 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:44 am

Christopher wrote:
volt wrote:But why would anyone pay a weekly fee to Apple for a TV series when he can download it for free with no hastle through p2p is beyond me.

To take away the chance of being sued for thousands by HBO or another company. I'd pay just for the peace of mind.

/////////////////

The major studios and recording labels hate one anothers guts so much, that they would never agree to this.

I would think you would be MORE bothered knowing you were supporting the RIAA and MPAA by giving them more money.

Also the major studios and labels don't hate each other , they hate you the customer , that's why they put DRM in their products , for example.

They also think you the customer are stupid , and if they really have sold a lot of videos , they have been right.

People keep saying this is what we wanted , well it's not what I wanted , I did not want another way for the RIAA and MPAA to make more money , I don't dance with glee at their wealth.

I want the RIAA and MPAA and their business to DIE.
I'm still holding out
hope for the next-gen of P2P ,
anonymous , works well , and is unstoppable.
Hopefully it can and will happen.

I hear something good will be coming at the end of this year , from the freenet people , although I am still unclear as to how anonymous it really is.

I expect sales , if there are any , to go down not up , most people are probably just trying out something new , and will tire of it , if the numbers are true.
Username1

Postby pkrisnin » Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:39 am

Atleast Apple is trying to give the people what it want. Unlike the MPAA just interested in suing people.

abit off topic here
anonymous P2P, they'll come up with some BS laws to make that illegal too, like what Japan did the Winny's creator, I think it is currently illegal in Japan to make high encryption to hide the identity of P2P users.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winny
How long do think America will do the same once freenet becomes a popular.

Now Share is taking its place, we already have a anonymous P2P, its like emule, requires a min. 4Gb of temp HD space for each download :(
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Share_%28p2p%29
Senators / MPs slogan - Will Bend Over For Money
pkrisnin

Return to Slyck News