Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

RIAA Targets I2Hub Users

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

RIAA Targets I2Hub Users

Postby SlyckTom » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:48 pm

The RIAA continues its two pronged campaign in combating the proliferation of the P2P community. Whether this campaign is having any real success is another matter, as the RIAA is confronting the growing issue of university students continuing to share files on various P2P networks.

This time around, the RIAA has filed 757 "John Doe" lawsuits. Among those lawsuits, the RIAA has targeted additional I2Hub members. The RIAA appears to be concentrating a bit more on university students recently, as their attempts to persuade the use of "legitimate" networks does not appear to be taking hold. Today's additional lawsuits bring the total number of those sued to 14,800 individuals, including a total of 560 I2Hub users.

Although the RIAA has been successful in the courtrooms against P2P networks, they have not fair well against the overall growth of file-sharing. Since the beginning of the RIAA lawsuits in June of 2003, the online population of the P2P community has nearly tripled.

So what's going wrong for the music industry? There isn't a clear answer to this; however infighting appears to be having a detrimental affect in their efforts to control the Internet population. Recently Steve Jobs, CEO of Apple, called the music industry "greedy" if they suggest any kind of price increase.

The music industry struck back yesterday, continuing its stance that iTunes change its 99 cent policy. In fact, the record labels are already threatening to boycott iTunes if Steve Jobs doesn't change its policy.

If infighting boils over to the point of a boycott, the end result could be damaging to both the fledgling online music services and further drive the P2P population upwards.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby clowne » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:52 pm

Isn't I2P an anonymous P2P network?
clowne

Postby Califax » Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Good Artical, it always seems to be 757 or is it just me. I can sort of see their startegy. Scare everyone on I2hub from sharing, so there is nothing left to download

No, its not annoymouus, its I2Hub... not I2P
Last edited by Califax on Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Califax

Postby Drake » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:00 pm

clowne wrote:Isn't I2P an anonymous P2P network?

Yeah, it's an anonymous network. This is about I2 Hub not I2P. At first I thought it was about I2P as well.
Drake

Postby irish » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:01 pm

Greed.
That's the only word to describe this and the current RIAA attacks on music lovers all over the world. It's not about protecting copyright anymore, or protecting the livelihoods of the many people involved in making and releasing a record. It's greed. I'm feckin angry about this and most of my comments can't be expressed on this site. :wink:
irish

Postby klick » Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:11 pm

Drake wrote:
clowne wrote:Isn't I2P an anonymous P2P network?

Yeah, it's an anonymous network. This is about I2 Hub not I2P. At first I thought it was about I2P as well.

Today's additional lawsuits bring the total number of those sued to 14,800 individuals, including a total of 560 I2P users.

:?:
klick

Postby Drake » Sat Oct 01, 2005 6:03 pm

Must be a typo.
Drake

Postby klick » Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:01 pm

oh ok
klick

Postby Kribby » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:54 pm

Califax wrote:Good Artical, it always seems to be 757 or is it just me.
I noticed that at first glance myself...

either coincidence, or these people like to use palindrome numbers :P
Kribby

Re: RIAA Targets I2Hub Users

Postby ragingdrunk » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:14 pm

SlyckTom wrote:The music industry struck back yesterday, continuing its stance that iTunes change its 99 cent policy. In fact, the record labels are already threatening to boycott iTunes if Steve Jobs doesn't change its policy.

If infighting boils over to the point of a boycott, the end result could be damaging to both the fledgling online music services and further drive the P2P population upwards.

So their strategy to drive people away from p2p is to raise the price of their sanctioned services? I don't know about y'all, but I thought 99 cents was way too high to begin with. I might consider buying these songs if they were 10-20 cents a song, but there's no way in hell I'd pay a dollar (or more) for one song.
ragingdrunk

Postby mastaofmurda » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:57 pm

irish wrote:Greed.
That's the only word to describe this and the current RIAA attacks on music lovers all over the world. It's not about protecting copyright anymore, or protecting the livelihoods of the many people involved in making and releasing a record. It's greed. I'm feckin angry about this and most of my comments can't be expressed on this site. :wink:

this is the truth..fining random people is just for the greed
john n mackenroe
mastaofmurda

Postby tm, » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:17 pm

The first batch of 405 lawsuits against I2hub users that the RIAA announced their intention of filing April 12 were apparently never actually filed. It's my guess that the 64 I2hub users nailed this time around may have been part of the original list of potential victims, but unlike the rest who folded up scared, these die-hards never got the hint to quit I2hub - and they are now paying the price. After all, Cary Sherman said the very next day after the RIAA issued the lawsuit threat that the announced 405 lawsuits would not be filed, but that the RIAA would sue I2hub users in the future.

As for anonymity, I2hub plans on moving to a Gnucleus-based Gnutella network in the near future, so if file browsing is disabled (and/or each user shares fewer files, which is a workable solution on a mega-network instead of a small hub) that may offer a slightly higher degree of safety, compared to the present Direct-Connect based hub system, in which each user is encouraged to share the maximum number of files possible. Gnucleus/GnucDNA developer John Marshall has been I2hub's lead programmer for the past three months, and hopefully the new I2hub will offer some lawsuit protection.
tm,

Postby viirin » Sat Oct 01, 2005 11:47 pm

Good idea RIAA, boycott iTunes.

Does your idiocy know no bounds?

99 cents a song, $10 for an album (not sure if that one is still the case, but i would assume it is...), in my opinion, makes sense. It's not overpriced, but I don't think it's cheap either. It just makes sense, and is, I think, fair. Whoever decided some songs are worth more then others should be severely beaten.
viirin

Postby Myrak » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:22 am

viirin wrote:Good idea RIAA, boycott iTunes.

Does your idiocy know no bounds?

99 cents a song, $10 for an album (not sure if that one is still the case, but i would assume it is...), in my opinion, makes sense. It's not overpriced, but I don't think it's cheap either. It just makes sense, and is, I think, fair. Whoever decided some songs are worth more then others should be severely beaten.
Exactly. Do they think they'll make more money by abandoning the biggest legal provider to date?

"I've got a great idea, let's abandon our $500 million sales service and jump aboard MSN Music and Napster" :lol:
Myrak

Postby wooder » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:41 am

mastaofmurda wrote:
irish wrote:Greed.

this is the truth..fining random people is just for the greed
No, I strongly suspect the RIAA sincerely believes they're having a deterrent effect on P2P, a proposition which cannot be conclusively proven nor disproven, despite the net increase in P2P users and traffic over the past several months: for all anyone knows, P2P would have caught on even more, but for the lawsuits.
wooder

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sun Oct 02, 2005 2:37 am

Wanting everything for free defines greed to me. Be logical. We started the war after all. What are they supposed to do? What would make everyone happy? I think music should be outlawed all together since it seems to bring out the worst in people.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby JaspyBeard » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:08 pm

-----------------------------------------
edit: nevermind already posted
JaspyBeard

Postby squirm » Mon Oct 03, 2005 11:38 am

Allofmp3.com

Need I say more?
squirm

Postby Philweed » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:29 pm

squirm wrote:Allofmp3.com

Need I say more?

Well that isnt a legal service in Europe at least. So i guess it wont be legal in the us to. So that would be even more stupid pay for illegal things while you can get them for free.
The Few The Proud The Filetopians. Check out http://www.filetopia.org
Philweed

Postby squirm » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:45 pm

I doubt it's legal here in the US, but who cares. With the RIAA trying to tear down all p2p networks, at least there is a good alternative. Whole albums in lossless format can be purchased.

Until the RIAA fails or for those that are concerned the RIAA might sue them, allofmp3 is a good alternative.
squirm

Postby IceCube » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:37 pm

Mel_Smiley_VIP wrote:Wanting everything for free defines greed to me. Be logical. We started the war after all. What are they supposed to do? What would make everyone happy? I think music should be outlawed all together since it seems to bring out the worst in people.

I dunno. I think it's a lot worse to be hogging all the money off of someone elses work, then throwing several people below the poverty line while at the same time changing laws just because you are unsatisfied with the BILLIONS of dollars one makes every year then it is to go around and listen to whole albums without paying for it. There are many levels of greed, and, in the words of that clip of "Steal This Disc" released solely on the internet, "Two wrongs don't make a right... but it's a start at least."
IceCube

p2p

Postby ms5star » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:04 am

I find it odd that these people want to tear down p2p networks, as if music is the center of the universe.

They should of never of entered the digital landscape but it's too late for that so
Welcome..

These rules that come out against p2p are ridiculous and should be ignored.

what's next? no more copy & paste on our computers!
ms5star

Postby IceCube » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:21 am

ms5star wrote:what's next? no more copy & paste on our computers!

My money is on "Mandatory spyware".
IceCube

Return to Slyck News