Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Resurrecting WinMX

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Resurrecting WinMX

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:42 am

WinMX fans awoke Wednesday to disturbing news. However before realizing this news, the WinMX population was faced with the inability to connect to this community. Finally news reports began circulating that individuals were not alone and indeed the entire community had collapsed including the WinMX.com website.

Although the demise of FrontCode Technologies along with its WinMX.com homepage would not have been the end of the world, WinMX.com provided the all-important host cache server. This server provided the IP addresses to WinMX supernodes, thereby allowing clients entry to the network. With the WinMX.com domain eliminated, the network collapsed. That is unless of course someone establishes a new method of connecting to WinMX hosts.

A WinMX group named <a href=http://www.thesourcecode.us/ target=_blank>TheSourceCode</a> has created a hosts file that allows clients to connect to the WinMX network. The instructions are currently being distributed through a collaborative effort with <a href=http://www.p2pzone.net target=_blank>P2Pzone.net</a>, a popular Italian P2P news site. The combined effort to resurrect the WinMX network also includes individuals named "SABre'911", "Polini" and "Ramna."

The method is quite simple. Those involved in the effort have indexed over 200 functioning WinMX hosts readily available to incoming WinMX connections. It requires the user to download a new host list provided from P2PZone.net, which redirects the WinMX client to the functioning hosts. From P2Pzone.net:

This is the procedure to configure your pc to connect with WinMx:

<b>1</b>) Download a new host file from this URL: http://www.p2pzone.net/download/goodies/hosts.zip

<b>2</b>) After downloading the "hosts" file (is a windows file included in the system) we can proceed.

<b>3</b>) Now paste the new file "hosts" in the Windows directory respective to its version:

For Windows 95/98/Me the directory is c:\windows\hosts

For Windows NT/2000/XP Pro the directory is c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

For Windows XP Home the directory is c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Now we can replace the "hosts" file.

<b>4</b>) For Win2k & XP users, sometimes may be necessary use the command "ipconfig /flushdns" from the command prompt.

<b>5</b>) Now, open WinMx and try to connect with primary connection!

Luca, the administrator of P2Pzone.net, tells Slyck.com this is a temporary fix and the developers are working on a more permanent solution. From public reaction so far and from our own testing, this method works exceedingly well. WinMX fans will certainly have a place to call home once again.

<b>Update:</b> Also try fixes available on the following websites:

<a href=http://www.vladd44.com/mx/peercaches.php target=_blank>Vladd44's</a> resource page.
<a href=http://www.winmxworld.com target=_blank>Winmxworld.com.</a>
<a href=http://www.winmxgroup.com target=_blank>WinmxGroup.com.</a>
<a href=http://www.winmxunlimited.net/mx target=_blank>Winmxunlimited.</a>
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Overnet User » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:46 am

Hell yeah! Thats what I'm talking about. Way to go p2pzone.net. I know this means alot to many people. I applaud you again many times.
Overnet User

Postby Assyrian » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:50 am

very good news for MX fans, well done p2pzone.

good read also.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby ilbozo » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:00 am

Good reading there Tom and good work by p2pzone.
Just shows how good a community they have that this has gotten an unofficial fix so quickly.
ilbozo

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:01 am

the IPs in the hosts is not P2Pzone's IP...basically its a rudimentary host cache server...not very dynamic and probably requires manual updates...but I am thinking the permanent solution will function much like Frontcodes...
SlyckTom

Postby Widdle » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:20 am

Just an update to you Tom. There are now three distinct WinMX peer cache servers running with three different host files. The P2Pzone.com one. One that is run by Sab're available at winmxunlimited.com and one run by apparently (don't be shocked) KM available at vladd44.com

This could be a source of P2P drama for a while.

P.S. None of the Peer Cache's, however, are fully functional.
Widdle

Postby GreenOne » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:25 am

WooHoo.!!!!!!!!!

Yeah baby, good lads.

I wonder if it'll have the same population as before....

:lol:
GreenOne

Postby Widdle » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:29 am

Slyck this story is incorrect. The patch is not from P2P zone, but from the folks at TSC
Widdle

Postby coleisgone » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:30 am

I tried the one from Vladd but was only able to connect once - after it lost the connection it didn't seem to want to regain it, i also had limited functionality, it wouldn't show the channel list and no returns for searches - still this is hopefully good progress in a postitive direction
coleisgone

Postby DeViLmAn » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:33 am

hmm right well im useing the patch KM * Darc wrote and im on primary connection i dont care if it dosnt work properly im just glad winmx lives. muahahhahahahahhaha long live winmx all we need now is someone to nick the source code and were laughing :lol: :lol: :lol:

EDIT: ok everything seems to be working ok for me i can do searches and the channel list are comeing up ok But there is only 464 channels instead of the usual 2000+ but hey its a start

EDIT: i can downlaod and upload aswell just tryd all that out only thing thats different is the little box top left (that normaly tells you when an update is out) is white now instead of black. thats it and everything else seems to work .
DeViLmAn

Postby Luca_000 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:50 am

yes p2pzone is only the site who had diffuse the new and is in contact with TCS
:lol:
Luca_000

Not working for me

Postby Arthurj » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:04 pm

I put the hosts file in the right place, cleared the DNS cache, rebooted. Now I see the message "Beta test of Sabre'911 WPNP" at the upper left of the WinMX window, but no connection on primary or secondary.

System setup should be otherwise ok - everything was working fine on the old WinMX network a few days ago. Any ideas?
Arthurj

Postby jetiants-tk-user » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:15 pm

winmx has even longer waiting queues than emule, so winmx homepae schould better redirect to emule s homepage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noneedto re-create servers for winmx, this dino has to die, emule has kademlia decentral nodes.. use emule !!!
jetiants-tk-user

Postby DaBlade » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:16 pm

Nice article, Tom. :D

Good news to hear. Now let's see what's gonna happen with WinMX technologies on that island.. I don't think this situation has fully unfolded itself yet.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby hollowlife1987 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:37 pm

p2pzone.net did NOT make that hosts file, the hosts file was made by a user that goes by the name SABre'911
you can check in the hosts file it self, or you can start winmx and see "BETA TEST of SABre'911 WPNP" right under the title bar.
hollowlife1987

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:47 pm

Well I know its not from P2Pzone, they are just providing the instructions. Perhaps the story is a bit unclear...I'll edit it...
SlyckTom

Postby Nick » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:47 pm

A very nice article, Tom, and good news for the MX users. It works.

Well done Luca
Last edited by Nick on Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby DeViLmAn » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:47 pm

jetiants-tk-user wrote:winmx has even longer waiting queues than emule, so winmx homepae schould better redirect to emule s homepage !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noneedto re-create servers for winmx, this dino has to die, emule has kademlia decentral nodes.. use emule !!!

dude your an idiot the more networks the better.
DeViLmAn

Postby Pastore » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:49 pm

hi to all, i'm an admin of p2pzone.net, so the solution to use winmx now is not by p2pzone but by TCS...we have say that in our site...and we say " thank you very very much" to TCS, Polini, Sabre, Ramna and others developers because their work is very good !!....p2pzone.net is in contact with these developers and we diffuse the new for the users of winmx !!
Winmx i think is a "special" software p2p !! thank you to slyck.com, TCS and all people who love p2p and winmx !!!

ps. scuse me for my english !!! i know that is very bad ! :(
Pastore

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:00 pm

Ok I cleared this up...edited the article to say:

A WinMX group named TheSourcCode has created a hosts file that allows clients to connect to the WinMX network. The instructions are currently being distributed through a collaborative effort with P2Pzone.net, a popular Italian P2P news site. The combined effort to resurrect the WinMX network also includes individuals named "SABre'911", "Polini" and "Ramna."
SlyckTom

Postby Nick » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:01 pm

Thank you Pastore for all your quick work.

To clarify for those less technical than yourself, can you (or perhaps someone else) provide links to the preferred host download?

TCS doesn't exactly make navigating to the host file very easy.
Nick

Postby Pastore » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:09 pm

the link on our server to the discussion is : http://www.p2pzone.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1561

and for the file :

http://205.238.40.1/hosts/hosts

bye and thanks again :D
Pastore

Postby DaBlade » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:20 pm

Pastore, just out of curiosity, how did you manage to make a cache server?
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby hollowlife1987 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:01 pm

One small thing...you missed the e in The SourceCode :P
hollowlife1987

Postby no_dammagE » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:03 pm

IIRC WinMX bootstrapped via a simple HTTP request which contained a list of fresh nodes ... in GWebCache manner.

IMO WinMX topic will live a lil bit longer than the K++ topic (when K++ was booted off) - success stories will come and so on, but people will move along. It was just a matter of time and I see honestly even tactic on FrontCode's side: if they would turn off WinMX a year ago, the fans would spread FUD, break reputations and so on. RIAA's letter was just a possibility to stop WinMX and FrontCode used it.

Still, good to see that WinMX lives.
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Next

Return to Slyck News