Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Roosterteeth Productions - The Anomaly

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Roosterteeth Productions - The Anomaly

Postby IceCube » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:15 pm

They started with the show <i>Red vs Blue</i> and things took off from there for them. They quickly became one of the most recognizable names on the Internet and, surprisingly, are still going against the tide when it comes to the processes of making each episode and the distribution.

The first episode went live on October 19th, 2004, from there, the popularity grew fast.

<i>Red vs Blue</i> entertains today as it did then, standing apart from newer shows like <i>Systm</i> and <i>The Scene</i>.

Unlike other shows, they use pre-rendered art from Bungee's popular video games "Halo" and "Halo 2", but the biggest difference is their use of copyright. They use Copyright instead of Creative Commons.

Another difference is their comment on P2P technology, namely BitTorrent. According to one of their FAQ's, they claim to have tried BitTorrent, but were dissatisfied, despite the fact that they have made a number of comments at how much of a beating their servers are taking from hosting the episodes. To compensate for the load, they instead choose to "rotate" their episodes available on the servers in the archives.

Spoof series <i>Teh Scene</i> has stated that they will sell DVD's based on donations. Besides that, <i>Red vs Blue</i> is the only readily known show that generates revenue from DVD sales.

Like <i>Systm</i>, <i>Red vs Blue</i> also makes revenue from selling products. One different aspect is that they give away low resolutions to viewers while selling the higher resolutions to sponsors..

Regardless of Roosterteeth’s reluctance to utilise P2P, one quick search on E-mule or any other P2P client will reveal all of the episodes available for download. One would think that posting a simple hash code would help relieve server tension, but, to date, no hash codes of any sort have ever been posted on their main website.

In the mean time, any other free TV show will reveal far more sources for each episode through P2P and multiple mirrors, which, in turn, will typically offer a faster download rate and boost download reliability. One would have to ask if it's some sort of moral obstruction that has prevented Roosterteeth from setting up a tracker or posting hash codes or maybe even Bungee explicitly told them not to do so, it's any fans guess.

While many other shows are enjoying the bandwidth benefits of P2P, Roosterteeth seem to just keep holding onto a single direct download link for their distribution model. It is an interesting anomaly to say the least.
IceCube

Postby Nick » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:32 pm

Nice article ;-)
Nick

Postby Manute » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:05 pm

I have been a fan of RvB since episode 6, (when a friend introduced the show to me). When I first started downloading the series, I always used BT to grab the files, I figured - Hey a legal means to use BT!!
Anyway, after they redesigned their website, I asked the question, will they bring back BT, they basically stated they would not bring BT back as it was too much trouble to deal with....? I guess they like using a lot of bandwidth... doesn't matter to me, I will still download and watch the great shoes they come up with.
Go BLUE! :roll:

BTW nice article.
Manute

Postby vtwin0001 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:20 pm

Weridly enough for me... those guys can distribute with even a 15k upload speed bandwidth on emule plus with jumpstart.

Great Article Ice Cube!!!

Cheers!!!!
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby Carlosos » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:19 am

I can't understand how they can be dissatisfied with Bittorrent. I used it when releasing the latest version of the Gangwars mod for Half-life (the website reached its bandwidthlimit within 6 hours) and it was less trouble than getting other people like planethalflife to host it. Most people still used the regular webserver (for example 20,000+ downloads from Fileshack) but people that didn't like to sign somewhere up to download or wait to start downloading favored Bittorrent.
Carlosos

Postby notbob » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:05 am

They quickly became one of the most recognizable names on the Internet

at least with the 1/10 of a percent of males (and 1/1000 of a percent of females) into that sort of thing

their appeal is with a very small segment of the superdork segment of computer geeks. it's not like they have any appeal whatsoever with anyone outside of hardcore gaming circles. it's like "buddy jesus" or "all your base" or any of the other stupid internet fads
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby notbob » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:09 am

Carlosos wrote:I can't understand how they can be dissatisfied with Bittorrent. I used it when releasing the latest version of the Gangwars mod for Half-life (the website reached its bandwidthlimit within 6 hours) and it was less trouble than getting other people like planethalflife to host it. Most people still used the regular webserver (for example 20,000+ downloads from Fileshack) but people that didn't like to sign somewhere up to download or wait to start downloading favored Bittorrent.

dissatisfied because they didn't make any money off of it

sell a dvd, get money. put a file on bt, the tracker gets out and everyone rides for free
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby IceCube » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:13 am

Technically, it's still possible. I've seen login trackers befor (not login sites, login trackers), plus there are already free videos in "low res" format for basically (effective) promotion.
IceCube

Postby notbob » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:59 am

IceCube wrote:Technically, it's still possible. I've seen login trackers befor (not login sites, login trackers), plus there are already free videos in "low res" format for basically (effective) promotion.

lo res, hi res, what's the point? once you've seen it, you've seen it. there is no effective reason to "own" anything anymore when you can get it on the internet anytime you want for free

none of the flash/internet tv/internet movies i've seen were good enough to actually pay for

ever try expalining to a completely computer illiterate person (one dumb enough to pay for a movie on the internet) how to set up a bittorrent client? and then try to tell them how to set up the login buried in azureus' settings? good luck on that

the best setup has to be idiot proof, and you have to get paid. the simplest idiot proof solution that does both? mail a dvd. there are ways that work, but you'd lose your customer 1/2 way through
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby IceCube » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:08 am

notbob wrote:
IceCube wrote:Technically, it's still possible. I've seen login trackers befor (not login sites, login trackers), plus there are already free videos in "low res" format for basically (effective) promotion.

lo res, hi res, what's the point? once you've seen it, you've seen it. there is no effective reason to "own" anything anymore when you can get it on the internet anytime you want for free

Well, the Hi-res versions get released 2 days earlier. I know, I'm not appart of Roosterteeth at all, but like it or not, the sceme is actually working. Just skim through the comments under each video ;)

I have to say though, the good part about RT is the fact that they are more open to free internet downloading then the more wealthier entertainment companies. Just remember, although Podcasting has been around since... 2003? It's still a reletively new concept.
IceCube

Postby vtwin0001 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:28 am

it's not like we're not used to some advertisement on tv shows......

They could put like many advertisments on the bottom of the video, that way it would be a win / win situation, they release a Hi-Quality file using torrent or whatever, and they will generate profit.

The tracker can take care of knowing how many ppl actually DL'd the archive, that way, they can give numbers to their advertisers and tell 'em exactly what and where is their public from, therefore directing those advertisments to them, however, I hope it's not obtrusive.

That's they way (i think) the trend should be for independent media, IF they want to make nice money off their work (IMHO)
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby Manute » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:37 am

notbob wrote:lo res, hi res, what's the point? once you've seen it, you've seen it. there is no effective reason to "own" anything anymore when you can get it on the internet anytime you want for free

Explain that one to the hard core fan boys (and girls) of RvB. Sponsership is $10 and you get vids hi res, a couple of days earlier and some 'special' sponser vids... I never became a sponser, but I thought about it.
Manute

Postby silentanvil » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:22 pm

Manute wrote:I have been a fan of RvB since episode 6, (when a friend introduced the show to me).
damn u got me beat, i didnt start until ep10.

i found the following information on the redvsblue website...
redvsblue.com wrote:A: The videos are 320x240 to save bandwidth. Our first series, Red vs Blue regularly chewed up 170 Terrabytes of downloads in a month.
Q: Is that a lot?
A: The average hard drive is about 40 GB. Imagine a stack of hard drives so tall it reaches the moon. Then climb up that stack and punch the moon in the face.

Occassionally a redvsblue eppisode will turn up on tbp(i saw the first and seccond dvds on tpb a while back). but no one ever posts torrents of PSAs and such. If i ever see a sponser video on tpb i never hesitate to get it.
silentanvil

Postby stubbs73nm » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:52 pm

ever try expalining to a completely computer illiterate person (one dumb enough to pay for a movie on the internet) how to set up a bittorrent client? and then try to tell them how to set up the login buried in azureus' settings? good luck on that

How about trying to explain it to a computer literate person? I've tried to explain it to IT people not in the scene and they get lost in the explanation of trackers and seeds.

You have to WANT to get into this hobby, and it is a hobby for me. It took me a bit too to understand the concepts. There is NOTHING better than sitting and watching a DVDR download at 340 KB/s on a saturday afternoon.

I agree with a previous poster about "owning" movies. I have no interest in owning any media. I sold all my cd's at a yard sale for $30 last week. I have 50 gigs of mp3s, why do I want the media for a tiny, VERY tiny, fraction of my collection taking up space? What was bad is those losers thought they were getting a great deal. (it was about 40 cds, some of it WAY obscure) I'm the one with the great deal, I can mix the music I want to CDR for free, if you play the cdr rebates right.

oops, I'm a bit off topic. Sorry.

I actually consider myself well-informed and had never heard of Red vs Blue until this article.

Thanks Icecube.
stubbs73nm

Postby IceCube » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:16 pm

You're welcome :)

I've always viewed technology this way: there are so many things to learn about it in its different aspects and you'll never learn every bit of a single aspect about it.

For some, it's more along the lines of hardware (something I have a hard time grasping), for others, it's more about the programming (I know a little, but not like C++ stuff), others, it's an understanding of different corners of the internet (I consider myself a fairly well informed person about it) Others still, it's about p2p (I know people who have merely heard of p2p but know nothing about it otherwise) and so on and so forth.
IceCube

Postby TheAnomaly » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:23 pm

Well thanks for taking my name for the title. ;) :lol:
TheAnomaly

Return to Slyck News