Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

MPAA Stays Busy, but ED2K Sites Hold the Line

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

MPAA Stays Busy, but ED2K Sites Hold the Line

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:12 pm

Three days ago Slyck Reported eDonkey2000 indexing site TheRealWorld.de (TRW) was forced offline by an unknown copyright holder. It appears now however, the MPAA on behalf of its member companies are responsible for the site’s closure.

“The site closed Wednesday in the wake of two rounds of lawsuits filed by the MPAA on behalf of its member companies targeting TV-oriented sites that illegally swap copyrighted TV shows – a serious and growing problem.”

Although TRW doesn’t “illegally swap” copyrighted TV shows, a German court granted an injunction against the owner, Wuff Rajek and the site’s web host. According to the MPAA press release, Mr. Rajek could be responsible for financial damages, disclosure of information, court costs, and up to five years in prison if criminal charges stick.

If these lawsuits the MPAA clamors about are indeed true, many would expect to see more sites voluntarily closing. However on Thursday Slyck spoke with FuckTheInter.net administrator EViLOPTiC who stated his site wasn’t going anywhere.

This sentiment appears to be the consensus, as ShareVirus administrator Gbit also plans to hold the line.

<b>What does TheRealWorld’s closure mean for ShareVirus?</b>

Well, that was a very sad piece of news for all ShareVirus team. Therefore we will try to fulfill the emptiness in TV category in the ed2k world. Our site has a TV/Series section and we have a lot of future plans to make our site more convenient for TV fans. All the community which left homeless after TRW.de closedown is welcome at ShareVirus.

<b>Considering the potential legal concerns, have you considered removing ED2K links from your indexing site?</b>

No, we will not remove a single ed2k link from ShareVirus, because we strongly believe there is nothing illegal in indexing them.

<b>Do you anticipate any legal repercussions from the copyright industry (RIAA/MPAA/etc.)?</b>

So far no. Copyright industry isn't working...in the country where ShareVirus is hosted and where I live.

<b>Will ShareVirus remain online? What is the future of your site?</b>

Yes, we will definitely stay online and we see no circumstances that could make us change our mind at the moment. Currently the main objective for ShareVirus team is finding a PHP coder to make our site easier to use, more convenient and simply better. eD2k is legal in our country so there is nothing in our way.

<b> Editor's note:</b> In addition, the administrator from ShareProvider told Slyck they receive the occasional take down notice from the MPAA, but they always comply with the order. Otherwise, it is business as usually without any plans for closure.

How this definace will utimately hold out remains to be seen. ed2k-it, ShareProvider and ShareVirus are based in countries that appear to have more tolerant copyright laws, and until such laws are changed it appears we will continue to see these sites exist for the foreseeable future.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: MPAA Stays Busy, but ED2K Sites Hold the Line

Postby tm, » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:20 pm

SlyckTom wrote:This sentiment appears to be the consensus, as ShareLive administrator Gbit also plans to hold the line.

Typo: ShareVirus, not Sharelive :D (though it might be nice if ShareLive would come back and be more than just an on-again/off-again site)
tm,

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:13 pm

That was an interesting typo, thanks!
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby IceCube » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:11 am

Seems to be the next generation of indexing sites... a new beginning after a brutal downturn. I kinda view the indexing sites as the Pheonix... burns down and dies and gets reborn (though in this case, a different identity) Just MO of course.
IceCube

Postby vtwin0001 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:53 am

Its just laughable

For every 1 site they take down, 6 pop up...!!

:twisted:
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Re: MPAA Stays Busy, but ED2K Sites Hold the Line

Postby illPhever » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:27 am

SlyckTom wrote:Editor's note: In addition, the administrator from ShareProvider told Slyck they receive the occasional take down notice from the MPAA, but they always comply with the order. Otherwise, it is business as usually without any plans for closure.

since there is nothing illegal with indexing the links, why comply with a takedown notice?
illPhever

Postby IceCube » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:48 am

I have to agree that legally, theyy simply cannot copyright "would-be" hash codes that could possibly link to potentially copyright "infringing" work. Even including the name would be legal because anyone could type up "Star Wars Episode 3 - Revenge of the Sith" as that is not really an infringement. It is also not illegal to host a sever that can transmit data, otherwise the internet would simply not exist as everything that happens on the internet would be illegal if it was illegal to transmit data. From this stand point, all arrows point to "legal" though there is a catch in the States where if you encourage "digital copyright infringement", you are then responsible for the activities that could happen. The downfall is if you have the guts to give the cease and desist orders the finger like what the Pirate Bay has been doing. That is probably the hard part because you can easily rack up a hefty bill quick for legal expenses to fight it out in court. Probably a conservative way of looking at it.
IceCube

Postby d_lamer2003 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:05 am

Not to sound pessimistic, but all these websites saying we will not give up and close, for me it doesnt hold. The only thing they are doing this is just to attract users to them and then boom, the MPAA desist comes banging to their door and close :(

Remember last december when suprnova.org closed, One of the websites who opened its mouth and said that its a good website, and can be a replacemnet of suprnova was LOKI and then bang, one month after, loki was hit by a lawsuit and worst of all it requested money from ppl to fight the MPAA and then its admin ran away with the money or gave them to the MPAA.

I mean we know that the MPAA is now running after the biggest fish and not the small sites, so the more users a website have, the MPAA would be more attracted to sue that website, even if its hosted on the moon!.

The days when david won goliath, those are past, nowadays goliath always win! :(
d_lamer2003

Postby realshare » Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:59 am

Some REALLY good ed2k-sites, maybe you could add them to the list: Top ED2K Sites

http://crystalshare.com/ (TV-Shows) -No Registration Required-
Movie Links: 1059
TV Show Links: 3657
Total Links: 4716
Total Size: 1.75 TB

http://www.svcdplaza.com/ -No Registration Required-
Users: 29223
Releases: 3040

http://www.shareheaven.net/ -No Registration Required-
Users: 11843
Releases: 7958

http://www.findhash.com/ (TV-Shows) -No Registration Required-
Movies: 9958
Available movies: 22%
Episodes: 814
Total files: 3685

http://www.sharethefiles.com/ -Registration Required-
Users: 48999
Articles: 86334

http://www.drunkendonkey.net/ -Registration Required-
World:
Users: 25248
Italian:
Users: 31742
eMusic:
Users: 12160

http://www.share-fox.com/forum/ -Registration Required-
http://www.hell-spawn-inc.com/ -Registration Required-
http://www.osiolek.com/ (also english section) -No Registration Required-
http://www.ed2k.dyndns.info/ (TV-Shows) -No Registration Required-
Last edited by realshare on Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
realshare

Postby SlyckScratch » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:05 am

d_lamer2003 wrote:The days when david won goliath, those are past, nowadays goliath always win! :(

David can avoid defeat by keeping his head down and attracting as little attention as possible. Putting himself forward as 'Rocky' will end in tears, so better to box in the shadows...
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby eisa01 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:28 am

realshare wrote:Some REALLY good ed2k-sites, maybe you could add them to the list: Top ED2K Sites

That's a nice list, you could also add OverNetWorld at http://overnetworld.com/
The ed2k links are in the English section, and you need to register at their forums.
eisa01

Postby Overnet User » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:35 am

Editor's note: In addition, the administrator from ShareProvider told Slyck they receive the occasional take down notice from the MPAA, but they always comply with the order.

MPAA in future: Please disable your whole site and take down all of our stuff. We have also notified other copywright holders and they want you to take down their stuff. If you don't we will take you down.

Hopefully this isn't the case but if the MPAA or who ever did ask that the site be taken down, what would their reaction be?
Overnet User

Postby Dazzle » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:31 am

Most of you here seem to be passing by one of the main items in the story, so I thought I better pop by to make it clear :)

Which country recently made it illegal to provide links to certain types of information? Hint: Germany

Where was this order granted ? Hint: see above

I hope you all see the bit of interest now, as long as you dont live or host from German soil ( US too to be on the safe side :D ) there should be no problem with running an ed2k hash site.

I know of no one who believes there is anything illegal in posting a hash, draw your own conclusions on what sort of people practice this censorship.
Dazzle

Postby Andu » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:39 pm

It is forbidden in germany to provide hash links? How stupid is that?
Andu

Postby Dazzle » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:30 pm

A recent case there involved a reporter whose report made a link to a products homepage,( a commercial site selling a similar product to dvd decryptor), the German court ordered the link should be removed, not very free speech there it seems, but it explains why they hit there, and are trying to give the impression of it being illegal elsewhere, when in fact its not.

http://www.immateriblog.de/archives/000254.html

Thats a good explaining link :)
Dazzle

Postby IceCube » Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:46 pm

I think Realshare proved a good point by showing a nice list of ED2K sites.

As for location... doesn't matter what your location is, you are never protected from cease and desist orders (just look at the legal threats section of TPB)
IceCube

Postby Carlosos » Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:55 pm

I guess we will find out in a few years if it is really illegal when it goes to the Bundegerichtshof (like the Supreme Court in the US) and I see no way that heise.de could lose. It's not the first time that lower courts messed up and this time it was in Germany.
Carlosos

Postby Dazzle » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:53 pm

Ice Cube,I have to disagree on a point with you
As for location... doesn't matter what your location is, you are never protected from cease and desist orders (just look at the legal threats section of TPB)

There is difference between a tracker and a web link, what you are saying is just muddying the waters.

The closed site had hash lists, It runs no service to obtain anything other than a hash, Germany is the only country I know of that makes linking to/or obtaining a (suspected or real) hash illegal.

I,m assuming a cease and desist letter has to have legal validity in the first place to even be implemented (IE: backed by an existing law or statute), this would make it specific to that country.

I,m sure you know a tracker does considerably more.
Dazzle

Postby Draken » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:20 pm

Dazzle wrote:I,m assuming a cease and desist letter has to have legal validity in the first place to even be implemented (IE: backed by an existing law or statute), this would make it specific to that country.

Maybe you should read this http://forum.respectp2p.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=2.

Quote from the case "ShareReactor.com got taken offline by authorities, due to suspicion of infringement of copyright laws and trademark laws. The mainservers, all backups and two personal computers have been taken."

This happens in Switzerland.
Draken

Postby Dazzle » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:25 pm

Hi Draken, its seems as if certain countries are ceeding freedom of the net to greedy unelected business interests, the Swiss have always had funny laws, but acting just on suspicion without facts puts them into the league of non democratic nations in my book.
Dazzle

Postby Christopher » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:57 pm

Dazzle wrote:Hi Draken, its seems as if certain countries are ceeding freedom of the net to greedy unelected business interests, the Swiss have always had funny laws, but acting just on suspicion without facts puts them into the league of non democratic nations in my book.

The United States is a democratic (capitalist) country, and they are getting to that point. I see nothing wrong with sharing things via p2p software if you are not getting paid any money for it, and the thing that you are sharing is not available in your country for sale in the form that you are sharing. Let's face it, most movies shared on the internet are not NEAR as good quality as the versions on the DVD's, even if they are ripped from DVD's.

The problem with closing down these ed2k link pages, is that anyone can hook up a Media Center PC to their TV or cable, and then record a show and share it with people by burning it on a DVD. They can even do it with a VCR and tape, and the Supreme Court has already said that is legal in the Sony/Betamax decision.
I don't see anything different in sharing the AVI or WMV file with p2p software over a network, and I think if someone would stand up to the MPAA the Supreme Court would agree with me.
Christopher

Postby vtwin0001 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:03 pm

its republican, not democratic.

thats why bush has made fraud twice :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby Freebird Mike » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:35 pm

Draken wrote:Maybe you should read this http://forum.respectp2p.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=2.

Quote from the case "ShareReactor.com got taken offline by authorities, due to suspicion of infringement of copyright laws and trademark laws. The mainservers, all backups and two personal computers have been taken."

This happens in Switzerland.

Not that the whole SR story needs to be rehashed here, but it became quite clear that the Swiss authorities were duped by SAFE into raiding SR as they believed the actual copyrighted files were on their server. Since then, they have been stalling and trying to save face. Simon is being treated like an international terrorist (forced to attend two hour questioning periods with the authorities and rescheduling the next question period a couple of months down the road, which you can read about by following your link), but, to this day, he hasn't been charged with a single offense.

Almost the same situation with Adi and SC, although info on that case is hard to come by. I know that BREIN has been looking the fool in the Dutch courts with their other "cases".

I gotta think that other countries have be somewhat aware of what's happened in these two cases and don't want to embarass their legal systems by raiding other legit sites, and that's why most other ed2k sites are breathing a little easier. Except in Germany, I guess..
Songlifter since 1999
Freebird Mike

Postby nunya » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:19 am

However on Thursday Slyck spoke with FuckTheInter.net administrator EViLOPTiC who stated his site wasn’t going anywhere.

I realize that's an old quote. But it looks like the MPAA had other ideas as the main page on FuckTheInter.Net has a take down notice.

Edit:
They got me. It was a good one.
nunya

Postby PhuckedUpCanuck » Sat Apr 01, 2006 1:09 am

lol....I was just about to tell you to check the source code for the page... I thought it was funny :)
PhuckedUpCanuck

Return to Slyck News