Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

eDonkey2000 Dethrones BitTorrent for Video Distribution

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

eDonkey2000 Dethrones BitTorrent for Video Distribution

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:33 am

The face of file-sharing is a viscous landscape under constant change. Networks come and go, developers appear and disappear. One of the most significant changes was the arrival of the BitTorrent protocol, which revolutionized the file-sharing community. It's efficient transfer protocol allowed for large files to easily exchange between millions of peers.

Within a year, the ISP network solution firm CacheLogic had concluded that BitTorrent had become the dominant P2P network in terms of bandwidth consumption. On average, ISPs were witnessing 60% of their bandwidth consumed by BitTorrent, while others saw an astounding 90%.

A new study by CacheLogic reveals some very interesting developments in the P2P world. While BitTorrent remains a powerhouse network, its days as the reigning king of video distribution are no more. Taking its place in this category is veteran file-sharing community eDonkey2000.

CacheLogic notes several reasons for this transition. Over the course of the last half-year, BitTorrent has begun a slow transition towards legitimacy. This transition was punctuated by Bram Cohen's recent negotiations with the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America.) Both Bram and the MPAA are attempting to negotiate an agreement in which Hollywood movies could be distributed using this protocol.

For the study, which was conducted on July 16-17, 2005, CacheLogic probed several ISPs backbone networks throughout North America, South America, Europe and Asia Pacific. The network solution firm studied the four dominant networks: eDonkey2000, BitTorrent, Gnutella and FastTrack.

Their first conclusion of the study found was video files by volume were the most popular type of file traded. The trading of files represents 61.44% of all files. Coming in second is "other" at 27.22%, while audio files consumes 11.34%. "Other" file formats were identified as CD images, compressed files, executables or other images.

Keep in mind this study was conducted by <i>volume</i>, and not by number of files traded. Video files consume much greater bandwidth than audio, therefore it would appear that video files are more common than audio. In reality, there are actually more audio files by number being traded, however due to their relatively small size, only in appearance do audio files appear diminutive.

Out of the 11.34% of audio files traded, 64.89% remain MP3 files, 22.81% are Microsoft format (WMA, etc), and a surprisingly substantial 12.30% are Ogg Vorbis files. CacheLogic notes more of these files are found BitTorrent, and appear more popular in Asia. Also notable was the finding that Gnutella is the most popular network for trading audio files. By volume, 69.55% of all files transferred on this network are audio files – the greatest percentage of any network.

Now, what's going on with BitTorrent…CacheLogic observed there is a steady decline in the volume of video files being traded on this network. However, there is an increase in the types of "other" file formats being distributed. This is happening because BitTorrent is being used increasingly as a legitimate distribution platform. CacheLogic found that game demos, authorized software and software updates are widely distributed on this network. BitTorrent, already known as more of an advanced network, was found to contain a "high level of less common file extensions."

In all, 46.77% of all files transmitted on this network are video files, while "other" file types consume 42.18%. Audio files only take up 11.05%.

Conversely, video files represent 68.53% of the total volume of media transmitted over the eDonkey2000 network. 25.42% are "other" file types, while 6.06% are music files by volume.

Although BitTorrent may still consume the most bandwidth out of all P2P networks (although this was not concluded in the study), it is no longer the network of choice for video distribution. eDonkey2000 has remained one of the few constants of the file-sharing world, weathering various copyright infringement crackdowns and other upheavals. It has survived the fall of Napster, the fall of FastTrack and the taming of BitTorrent.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby jaytay » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:42 am

Good article Tom. But how is BT be measured with all of the independant communities/trackers? J.
jaytay

Eeeeeek! This can't be good news!!!!

Postby GreatDaneBoy » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:00 pm

Yikes! A decline in bittorrent? This is really bad news, folks! Or, it's just not accurate....I mean, why would anyone spend days (or weeks) downloading a movie on eDonkey when you can download the same file off of Bittorrent in only an hour or two? I don't get it!!!!!!!!!!
GreatDaneBoy

Postby Eeyore » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:01 pm

I must say that this caught me by surprise. I though BT was the undiputed champ for movies. I suppose that this will also warrent closer scrutiny by the b@$t@rds at the MPAA unfortuately as they always go after who ever is on top.
Eeyore

Postby Overnet User » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:28 pm

I suppose the reason this is the case is because of the content avalability on ED2K no matter what you want, it usually has. If its new, you can probably get it farily fast. If you want older movies/ items, you can get them maybe not as fast but still find them and get them at eventual speeds. This may lead to people staying there because of all of the content that they can find.
Overnet User

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:48 pm

Yikes! A decline in bittorrent? This is really bad news, folks!

Its not necessarily a decline in BitTorrent, rather a transition. Besides, even if it was a decline and ED2K is there to pick up the slack, would it really be bad news?
SlyckTom

Postby jetiants-tk-user » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:51 pm

emules answer is always: who cares ?
jetiants-tk-user

Postby vtwin0001 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:32 pm

Bitorrent is great for DLing Hollywood flicks and stuff very popular, whilst Edonkey network is a lot better for old and unpopular files. It might take a huge time to DL, but you can almost reast assure it will arrive

Great article, BTW :D
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby jetiants-tk-user » Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:43 pm

both should merge
http://www.torrentaid.com
http://www.shareaza.com

I hate these torrents making not at the same time an ed2k hash available. releasegropups should put both in the torrent, but they are so fighting against each other, especially the boards.
jetiants-tk-user

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:08 pm

Nice read, thx for the info.

It has survived the fall of Napster, the fall of FastTrack and the taming of BitTorrent.

When they tame the piratebay; then they can brag.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby MKrmec » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:13 pm

if you ask me this is so not true.

the overall BT users is about 5-6 million. at all time
ED2K has allmost 3 million users

I think that ed2k can't beat BT with half the users.

The edonkey network is slow but reliable but it still can't reach the BT levels of consumption or even the volume.
MKrmec

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:36 pm

the overall BT users is about 5-6 million.

I would love to see a definate number on BT, where did you get this number?

Even if BitTorren DID have this amount of users, which I highly doubt, judging a P2P network on population is a bit of a canard.

Skype has several million users online simultaneously and its a P2P network, but consumes hardly any bandwitth - should that be considered the largest P2P network?

Judging the size of a P2P network depends on many things, population is just one of them. Bandwidth consumption and resources are also very important..
SlyckTom

Postby ShawnSpree » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:36 pm

They give no answers on how they studied it, how long it took, what sources or programs they used. The fact that there is less websites that arent locked or not taking registration could be. If they look at the bandwidth ports, the fact BT allows you easily to configure to different ports.. Your searching on the website which the tracker points you to the few that are connected to the seeder. So theres no real way to test it out.. Otherwise going to edonkey and it saying 2 million users and showing a 1000 people who have the file and which your only downloading bits and pieces of it for weeks.. Of course it will consume more bandwidth, all the search results, all the time online to download 1 file.
ShawnSpree

Postby Allied » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:38 pm

60% videos, 11% audio?

I think all the eMule and eDonkey users have just figured out that you can get more than mp3's from these apps.

I can't believe that anyone would choose to download a movie from ED2K instead of BitTorrent.
ED2K does have a more permanent library of files than BitTorrent. But its still on a lower level in the ladder of Piracy.

I think over time, people will realize that the movies they're getting on ED2K are coming from BitTorrent users.
Then they'll step up and BitTorrent will take its proper place.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby Cartroo » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:46 pm

MKrmec wrote:the overall BT users is about 5-6 million. at all time
ED2K has allmost 3 million users

I'd be interested to know your source for the number of Bittorrent users, given that there's no centralised server involved. The number of client downloads isn't really accurate since a single person might well download a client a few times (and download a few different clients before they find one they want). Even if you look at BT sites where you have to register, you have to assume that most users are going to register on a large number of them.

Also, it's entirely possible that the average eDonkey user is just a lot more active than the average Bittorrent user...

EDIT: It appears while I was writing that, Tom got there first. :D
Cartroo

Re: eDonkey2000 Dethrones BitTorrent for Video Distribution

Postby GenONeill » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:52 pm

SlyckTom wrote:Over the course of the last half-year, BitTorrent has begun a slow transition towards legitimacy. This transition was punctuated by Bram Cohen's recent negotiations with the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America.) Both Bram and the MPAA are attempting to negotiate an agreement in which Hollywood movies could be distributed using this protocol.

Bram Cohen has always maintained that BitTorrent could be used to help companies of any size distribute their work (programs, videos, whatever) without driving their bandwidth costs through the roof.

While Cohen may be in talks with different big companies, many trackers and groups are private. And being BitTorrent is open source and very few users still use his official client, I would guess many people don't really care what he does. If users and developers don't like the direction things are going they may branch off and do things on their own (this could already have started - like when Azureus beat Cohen to developing a trackerless protocal).

The legal uses of BT will likely increase eventually. Other networks may see an increase in popularity over time. But I really don't think BitTorrent is going anywhere any time soon.
GenONeill

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:54 pm

Of course he has maintained that. But saying that and the actuality of it happening are two different things. BitTorrents transition towards legitimacy began well after the fact of Bram's position on the issue.
SlyckTom

Postby Carlosos » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:55 pm

BitTorrent has begun a slow transition towards legitimacy

Wasn't BitTorrent always supposed to be used for legal files like linux .iso files?

There is no way that those statistics are correct. A lot of movie files on Bittorrent are for example in rar format (split up in rar because they get posted like that in newsgroups) which would count as "other" in that statistic and not as movie files.

I can believe that edonkey will be used more for movies than ever before because "dumb" people start to get broadband internet too and edonkey is just easier for them to find files.

Although BitTorrent may still consume the most bandwidth out of all P2P networks (although this was not concluded in the study), it is no longer the network of choice for video distribution

I never heard of any group that favors edonkey as their network over bittorrent for distributing the movies. Downloading of movies only has become more popular in the edonkey network but it doesn't say that more movies are downloaded on the edonkey network than on other networks.

This is a good example of how statistics can be wrong interpreted.
Carlosos

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:01 pm

There is no way that those statistics are correct.

if you ask me this is so not true.

They give no answers on how they studied it, how long it took, what sources or programs they used.

Am I the only one who finds it's absolutely hilarious the people who were so readily willing to accept that BitTorrent was the largest P2P network, based on information provided by the same company, based on the same techniques, are now so unwilling to accept that BitTorrent has been over thrown for video distribution?

Too funny...a great insight into the human mind if you ask me...
Last edited by SlyckTom on Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SlyckTom

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:01 pm

I don't find it funny, actually kind of sad!

I think you people are missing the point of the article. eDonkey2000 Dethrones BitTorrent for Video Distribution. Even if it has more users, or even higher traffic, it does not mean it distributes more "videos" then ed2k! There are such things as video games and other programs out there that other people tend to download from BT and these files can be just a big as video DVD's, which could still account for a higher population as well as higher traffic.
Last edited by Psycho Ced on Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby logiq » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:33 pm

Too funny...a great insight into the human mind if you ask me...

i think this reaction is quite normal, being edonkey a goddamn slow network; reading it has become the releaser's favourite choice sounds a little strange to me too :)

logiq
logiq

Postby vtwin0001 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:18 pm

Allied wrote:
I think over time, people will realize that the movies they're getting on ED2K are coming from BitTorrent users.
Then they'll step up and BitTorrent will take its proper place.

Nope.... BT is not the source for all the files in the edonkey network...

I dunno, you could search for many movies that arent even thinkabel having them on bit torrent due to its 'not so poupular' status, thus making ed2k a great network for making a not very popular file more 'popular' (since its slow, downloads can start after a few days the file has been released and still getting a good transfer speed off it, whereas in torrent, they are extremely short lived, therefore you cannot get a decent transfer speed after days of it being released.
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:27 pm

Exacatly, if you want a current episode you can probably find the top ones at a popular torrent site. But if you want the older ones; ed2k is the place to look. They have the new and the old.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby vtwin0001 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:32 pm

Psycho Ced wrote:Exacatly, if you want a current episode you can probably find the top ones at a popular torrent site. But if you want the older ones; ed2k is the place to look. They have the new and the old.

...or a weird album, or a weird movie, or a weird [insert whatever here]
vtwin0001

Postby Drake » Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:42 pm

SlyckTom wrote:BitTorrents transition towards legitimacy began well after the fact of Bram's position on the issue.

Even if that's true isn't it irrelevant? Those who realized that distributing their software via BitTorrent would save them money did so as soon as they realized how much money they would save. They didn't make this decision because of Bram Cohen's stance on piracy.

As time goes by more and more executives and small business owners will realize how valuable BitTorrent is and natually, there will be more commerical usage of this protocol.

The eDonkey2k network hasn't really grown much since the beginning of the year and there are more BitTorrent trackers than ever.

Who knows...maybe now more people will realize how great the eDonkey2k network now that they find out how many people use it to share video content.
Drake

Next

Return to Slyck News