Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

California State University System Establishes Approved Ente

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

California State University System Establishes Approved Ente

Postby SlyckTom » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:32 pm

Providing industry approved content has been become a high priority these days for college and university administrators. Looking to avoid the legal pitfalls associated with P2P software on campuses, and increasing amount of Universities are inking partnerships with industry sanctioned content providers.

So far, isolated universities have partnered with industry-sanctioned content. Singular universities such as Penn State provide the Napster music service to campus students, however up until today's announcement there has not been any kind of statewide commitment. The California State University system, with an enrollment of over 600,000 students, announced today it would partner with Cdigix to provide approved content.

The deal marks the first time an entire state university system will provide approved content to the student body. It is also a huge step forward in providing such content, as deals have been spotty at best.

Cdigix will provide a wide range of content through its service. Through MusicNet, students will have access to over 1.5 million digital music tracks. In addition, student will have access to TV programming from networks such as "Walt Disney Pictures, ESPN, NASCAR.com and Cartoon Network."

In addition, Cdigix has a uniquely named and innovative program dubbed "Ctrax2Go." If students choose to join to the program, they can download an unlimited amount of digital tracks to their compatible MP3 player (as long as the subscription is maintained.)

One interesting fact of the new service is the availability of TV content. Although music downloading remains the most sought after form of entertainment, TV programs consume a significantly greater amount of bandwidth.

Slyck contacted Cdigix and inquired whether the cost of the service will be included in the student's tuition or if it will be a separate fee. Our inquiry has so far gone unanswered.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: California State University System Establishes Approved

Postby dabagboy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:03 pm

SlyckTom wrote:In addition, Cdigix has a uniquely named and innovative program dubbed "Ctrax2Go." If students choose to join to the program, they can download an unlimited amount of digital tracks to their compatible MP3 player (as long as the subscription is maintained.)...

So do they lose the tracks if they cancel the services? if so Good Luck
dabagboy

Postby mariusagricola » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:51 pm

Gee, I really hope the state of California isn't going to spend tax dollars providing public university students with legal digital files. I have plenty of misgivings about the public universities providing internet access to students in the first place, at least beyond the bounds of library and computer labs. Since it looks like they aren't really stopping to consider how this enhances the quality of the education they are providing, I just hope the taxpayers don't have to pick up the tab.

Also, I doubt that many students will even take note of it.
mariusagricola

Postby ksaturn123 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:12 pm

The means of legally obtaining media isn't the problem. It's the fact that you have to pay over and over if you want something. Does Universitys really think just because they offer a legal form of getting MP3's they won't be held liable for students obtaining them illegally. Who knows. DRM is DRM and that's all I have to say about this :)
ksaturn123

Postby IceCube » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:20 pm

Media grabs back of students head
Media drives it into napster
Media rubs students face all over it
Media demands,
"You WILL buy cr@p, you WILL pay over and over again, and you WILL enjoy it!"

Kind of reminds me of the meanest school bully I've ever met times 2. :shock:
IceCube

Postby Sarevok » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:12 pm

arg, they push this application and cdigix stuff at my school, it's utter garbage, a really really lame application. And either they lie about all the tracks they have available or they make a point of not having anything I would like.
Sarevok

Postby IceCube » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:21 pm

Even the REALLY old stuff like "Four Seasons", "Billy Idol" and the original "Evlis" stuff?
IceCube

Postby Christopher » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:33 pm

This just isn't going to work. People at universities are not going to want to buy DRM'd music for the simple reason that if they want to upgrade their OS or hardware in their computer, they have to buy the music or software again if it has the wrong kind of DRM.
I have that problem with some Japanese files that I download, they have some weird form of copy protection that if I upgrade my OS, I would have to buy the software again.
Last edited by Christopher on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher

Didn't work at Purdue over the last 1.5 years....

Postby adderal » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:14 am

why would Cdigix work at CSU? ... people really hated the fact that activities/internet fees went towards a service most didn't even want to use... yeah yeah, they rolled out a video service , big whoop... all the content was dated and because of bandwidth caps imposed by Purdue it sorta defeated itself :roll:

Tons of editiorials to our student newspaper involved critical opinions of the system saying we can go to itunes or alternatives for legal downloads and the money should be used for OC-3 / T3 lines to allow higher caps and more download accessibility to transfer data intensive projects/video editing stuff w/o facing your Univ connection being shut off on you one day.

What a waste!
adderal

No sir I dont like it.

Postby zbeast » Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:27 pm

Well in order to get this to work.
what they will have to do now is block all access.
to standard file trading network.
Using that dam Packeteer product.
This is what is happening at my school.

Not that it matters. I just doing use the school's network. private wireless networks. is the way to go.
set up trade Hotspots, put those old computers to use.

zbeast
zbeast

Postby eMbry00s » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:37 am

IceCube wrote:Media grabs back of students head
Media drives it into napster
Media rubs students face all over it
Media demands,
"You WILL buy cr@p, you WILL pay over and over again, and you WILL enjoy it!"

Kind of reminds me of the meanest school bully I've ever met times 2. :shock:

But then they also get paid. -_-
eMbry00s

Return to Slyck News