Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

MP3 Format Celebrates 10 Years

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

MP3 Format Celebrates 10 Years

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:02 am

The MP3 format has become so entrenched in the fabrics of the Internet that it appears nothing in the foreseeable future will uproot it. There have been other audio formats abound, such as Ogg Vorbis which has developed a grass roots following, however the popularity and convenience of the MP3 format remains unchallenged.

Indeed, the MP3 format has grown outside the Internet as well. Today and increasing amount of home and car audio CD/DVD equipment comes MP3 compatible. Many would not even consider purchasing an aftermarket car stereo without MP3 compatibility. Because the MP3 format allows for high compression without a noticeable loss in quality, this allows one to burn approximately a half dozen or more albums onto one CD, or an incredible 36 albums onto one DVD.

While the MP3 format has managed to make CD changers obsolete, they have also changed the face of the Internet as well.

Not too long after MP3's introduction in 1995, the Internet community soon adopted the file format. CD audio files were encoded using this format and modern era of file-sharing began. At the time a majority of file-sharing took place on the Newsgroups and IRC (Internet Relay Chat.) However something bigger loomed on the horizon.

The creation of the MP3 format acted as a catalyst for the development of P2P networks. Although obtaining MP3 files was relatively easy for those familiar with these older Internet mediums, they were still elusive for less computer savvy individuals. Only four years after the introduction of the MP3 format, the way information traversed the Internet was revolutionized by then 19-year-old college drop-out Shawn Fanning. In 1999, Napster was born.

Napster greatly enhanced the ability for average computer users to participate in file-sharing. Instead of learning seemingly complex applications, a majority of the work was simplified to “point and click.” With applications such as Napster and Kazaa spoon-feeding MP3 files to the Internet masses, P2P networking would soon become an international phenomenon.

The MP3 format continues to have a technological domino effect. Its introduction spurred the development of P2P networks, which helped bring about the broadband revolution, which in turn has spurred the sale of MP3 players. Each of these developments are interrelated, and without the initial push of the MP3 format the Internet could still be without P2P networks, your car CD player not MP3 compatible and who knows – perhaps you’ll still be walking around with that old skool Sony Walkman.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Widdle » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:09 am

.........and people still fail to see where free information can benfit the market.........

Anyone care to take a guess at the impact of .mp3's on the economy??
Widdle

Postby vtwin0001 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:22 am

Mp3's 10th Birthday!!

Lets have a huge party!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby grok » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:01 pm

The claim that MP3 was invented 10 years ago is wrong. MPEG-1 was approved around 1992. A MP2/MP3 file is just an MPG without video. Only the file type was changed.

I remember downloading AudioActive 10 years ago and playing MP2s on my 486. Here is what it looked like: http://www.mp3daze.com/playwin16.htm.
grok

Postby bkman » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:09 pm

Happy birthday MP3, now die already!

Long live modern audio formats (but not as long as MP3 if they become severely outdated)!
bkman

Postby Doobie » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:51 pm

Ogg Vorbis, better quality and free, couldn't put a dent in MP3. Ogg Vorbis lacks indemnity protection and salesmen. And, it has a stupid name ("Vorbis" with the *.ogg extension).

Another year closer to the MP3 patents expiring.
Doobie

Postby ksaturn123 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:58 pm

I was making MP3's prior to 1995 so I'd say thier wrong on the 10 year anniversary. However I purchased my first burner for $450 in late 1995 early 1996 it was a 4x read 1x burn no rewrite heh. Oh and did I mention I paid like $8 per cdr (though over half were coasters). So maybe the descrepency is the year where MP3 meets CDR. Who knows
ksaturn123

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:19 pm

Damn, that old eh?
Would never have guessed.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:25 pm

The article is correct. The file extension .mp3 is 10 years old today. The format is older, but it was not called mp3 (as has already been pointed out).

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff

Postby Anonymous » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:22 pm

Forum rule

7) No flaming, name calling, or general lamership. If someone is verbally abusive towards you, be an adult and ignore the other person. This is not real life, and all the name calling in the world will not settle your arguement.
Anonymous

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:33 pm

dodgydave wrote:EDITED - HC

So I guess you must really get turned on at the prospect of guys sticking things up their pipes. As for smoking; the thought of anal probes must have put you in heat: though I'd think a bitch like you would at least know how to spell doggy right, doggydave. I think we'll have to have you neutered or spade or both.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Charles » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:15 pm

Happy birthday mp3, you are one hell of a innovation!

Best wishes to you up until you are forced to retire because of fitter yougers,
Yours truly,

xxx
Charles
Multinetwork apps are good for making every network they connect to less efficient. I think I hate them ;)
Charles

Postby vtwin0001 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:51 pm

I insist, we MUST have a HUGE PARTY!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(we'll have wet t-shirt contest!!!)
Did you know that Pulp Fiction cost $8 million to make - $5 million going to actor's salaries?
vtwin0001

Postby kitk3000 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:30 am

Psycho Ced wrote:

So I guess you must really get turned on at the prospect of guys sticking things up their pipes. As for smoking; the thought of anal probes must have put you in heat: though I'd think a bitch like you would at least know how to spell doggy right, doggydave. I think we'll have to have you neutered or spade or both.

Actually, while I agree that the guy is an idiot,
I think his name is dodgydave: "dodgy" as in "someting not quite right."
kitk3000

Postby Gigabite » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:56 am

Thank god for mp3s!!! 8)
Reading, Riting, and Rithmetic...I are smart!
Gigabite

Postby Anonymous » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:43 am

Psycho Ced wrote:

EDITED:

Please familiarise yourself with the forum rules dodgydave. One more outbreak like that, and you'll be banned.

HC
Anonymous

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:49 am

EDITED - HC
Last edited by Psycho Ced on Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Widdle » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:49 am

dodgydave wrote:
Psycho Ced wrote:

EDITED - HC

To every normal person reading this thread.

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!!!!
Widdle

Postby rsrikanth05 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:28 am

Cool! Is not Mp3 the most widey used and the most popular format for audio?
rsrikanth05

Postby ahiah9 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:36 am

Wow... I am a noob to it all I guess.... 10 years + ? I have been involved in all this for about 4-5 years, I guess. I would love to embrace the ogg format... mp3 is UNIVERSAL! It can be played on almost EVERY comp/DVD player around, it is the one commonly referanced when compressesedd audio and it is SO ALWAYS recognised when talking about compression. I love ogg.... but at least give credit where credit IS DUE! !!!MP3!!!
ahiah9

Postby createcoms » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:21 pm

MP3 did wonders but man I wish it would die. Its nice that car stereos support WMA now as well but .OGG would be nice to escape the M$ grasp

<Fanboy mode>

USE OGG and be 1337 !!!!!!!!!

</fanboy>

:D

-cc
createcoms

Postby Avenger » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:20 pm

That's what I would call a glowing review for the mp3 format. 8)
Files are Fun!
----
Didn't your mom ever teach you how to share?
Avenger

Postby Misanthrope » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:23 am

createcoms wrote:MP3 did wonders but man I wish it would die. Its nice that car stereos support WMA now as well but .OGG would be nice to escape the M$ grasp

<Fanboy mode>

USE OGG and be 1337 !!!!!!!!!

</fanboy>

:D

-cc

I bought a 40G iRiver simply for its OGG support,as a lot my music is in that format..Fantastic device, just drag and drop music onto it..
Misanthrope

Postby D-503 » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:30 pm

grok wrote:The claim that MP3 was invented 10 years ago is wrong. MPEG-1 was approved around 1992. A MP2/MP3 file is just an MPG without video. Only the file type was changed.

I remember downloading AudioActive 10 years ago and playing MP2s on my 486. Here is what it looked like: http://www.mp3daze.com/playwin16.htm.

LOL. I remember playing mp3's on my 486dx4-100 on WinPlay 3 (never heard of AudioActive). It played really well but not for long as I had the shareware version and it cut off after a few seconds and I can't remember weather I patched it or not. But I ended up getting Winamp and it let you use it for 30 days anyway. It later ended up becoming freeware.
Hehe.. I remember playing around with the buffers to try and get it to play a Tea Party Demo from "Transmission" (http://www.theteaparty.com) cause it would really skip alot. This was back in early '97, when I was still on dial-up and 5megs was a big download on my 28.8k external modem.

Widdle wrote:.........and people still fail to see where free information can benfit the market.........

Anyone care to take a guess at the impact of .mp3's on the economy??

It has created new markets. Before MP3 there was no such thing as an MP3 Player. I too have a iRiver H340 (International Version) which is capable of playing Ogg and even movies with a korean version firmware upgrade, I've done the upgrade just not played any movies yet :-). The US version comes DRM enabled. The International version does not. US owners can disable DRM by flashing it with EU or KOR firmware but they can't re-enable it again. I don't know why you'd want it to be DRM enabled anyway :-).

MP3 Players are not the only type of hardware media player. We now have portable and home media centres which can play all sorts of digital media these were not around before napster. I don't recall XviD or DivX being around before MP3 or even XviD or DivX DVD players or other hardware devices apart from a PC that could play them. Then there's stuff like RMVB
and other pocket or palm PC designed media formats.

And no doubt newer markets will be created. The popularity of downloading TV Shows only proves the need for the major worldwide networks to adopt it. TiVo and other technologies like it can cut out commercials and make later viewing ad free. Surely these companies would want to take their distribution out of the users hands and into their hands where they can make sure they have ads. Then make them available on Bit Torrent networks for free.

Advertisements in them could be aimed at a more worldwide market (since they are downloaded from people all over the world). Coke & Pepsi is in most countries around the world.

What would they rather do. Try and prevent people from downloading TV Shows without ads. Or make these shows available themselves and be able to recover costs by adding ads to them. Surely there are advertising companies on the net that would love to pay them for this privilege.

What would you rather download. The same series from the one publisher with the same quality, advertisements, at a fast speed. Or the same series from many different publisers, with different quality, no advertisements and at a slow speed. Anyone try to get Stargate Atlantis, Battlestar Gallatica and SG-1 the other day? Was your download really fast? :-).
"Thou hast the keys of Paradise, oh, just, subtle, and mighty opium!"
- Thomas De Quincey
D-503

Postby Maximas74 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:22 pm

The MP3 might not be the best but it's the most popular that brought upon a new industry.Just think of the jobs alone that the little old MP3 has brought about.I listen to other formats here and there but the MP3 does it's job just fine.And it works perfect in every media player I own.So happy B day MP3.
Maximas74

Next

Return to Slyck News