Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

iMesh 5.2 released

Discussion about the iMesh program and its network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

What do you think about the new iMesh 5.2 and iM2Net?

It's Great!
7%
It's OK.
3%
Could be better but has oppertunity.
No votes
It's just not very good.
3%
Haven't tried it and don't care.
48%
It completely SUCKS!
38%

Total votes : 29

iMesh 5.2 released

Postby Jasp » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:21 pm

If any cares, iMesh 5.2 has been released with many bug fixes. Better support for gnutella and G2 and runs better than the other version before. This version will also support a new network iM2Net which is still experimental. This will be iMesh's own new network. iMesh 5.2 will still support the iMesh network on the FastTrack protocall. This version includes spyware and adware. iMesh Bar which is an edited version of MySearch Bar and Cydoor for ads. iMesh Bar can be easily removed with the add or remove programs but you will still have to view ads on the program.
Jasp

Re: iMesh 5.2 released

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:33 pm

Jasp wrote:iMesh 5.2 will still support the iMesh network on the FastTrack protocall. This version includes spyware and adware. iMesh Bar which is an edited version of MySearch Bar and Cydoor for ads. iMesh Bar can be easily removed with the add or remove programs but you will still have to view ads on the program.

Well there you have it.

(Haven't tried it and don't care) = +1;
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Re: iMesh 5.2 released

Postby LxBeast » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Jasp wrote:iMesh 5.2 will still support the iMesh network on the FastTrack protocall. This version includes spyware and adware. iMesh Bar which is an edited version of MySearch Bar and Cydoor for ads. iMesh Bar can be easily removed with the add or remove programs but you will still have to view ads on the program.

It completely SUCKS!

Full of ad/spyware, I wouldn't use it with someone else's computer, let alone my own.
LxBeast

Postby OhMyGod » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:48 pm

There is too many programs that are completely clean to choose from. If they remove MySearch Bar and that Cydoor crap, then I might give it a try. Hopefully a Light version will be made. I'm kind of interested on how good this new network will be. If all of the iMesh users update to this new version, then this network will start off pretty large. Most of us here don't use iMesh but it is still one of the most popular downloads on download.com because a lot of people must be using it. But for now,(Haven't tried it and don't care)!

ThankYou. :D
OhMyGod

Postby Allied » Sun Jul 03, 2005 2:03 pm

Anything with Spyware is not worth downloading.

iMesh Light Based on iMesh 5.0.0.323
http://forum.imesh-light.com/viewtopic.php?t=182
It connects to Gnutella, G2, Fasttrack and has the option for ED2K but it's not reccomended for some reason.

Why would I infest my computer with spyware just for iM2Net support?

I tried searching for iM2Net around iMesh.com. I can't find any info on it. If it was a good network, I'm sure they'd be bragging about it like Morpheus with NEOnet. So I'm going to assume it's siht.

I find it ironic that their forum is using the open source phpBB. I think I'll go try and enlighten their members.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby Trev0r269 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:15 pm

IM2NET? geeez it even sounds like neonet...

well the last time I actually liked iMesh was when it was a straight up FT client, and oh yeah FT was the shiz back then.
Trev0r269

Postby ToM » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:20 pm

I'd sooner install a toffee hammer through my monitor than infest my PC with spyMesh. It'd do much less damage.

Bundles or no bundles, iMesh is a complete waste of time.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby Allied » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:20 pm

I installed in on a VM.

The iMesh bar is spyware. It installs itself in IE as a toolbar. When you type a search term, it will take you to an iMesh frame of Google results filled with ads. You also have the options of Yahoo, Ask Jeeves and Look smart pages all with ads.
In Program Files\iMeshBar\Bar\History there's a file named "search", open it with notepad and you'll see every search term you've ever typed into the iMesh bar.
Using the bar will also give you tracking cookies.
The bar is easy to remove. You can just delete the folder in program files. If you're worried about the registry entries, Registry Mechanic will get rid of them.

iMesh has a "Remove Ads" button in it. Click it and your prompted to join the "iMesh Buddies Program!". You type in name and a email address and click next. Tracking cookies must be enabled. I had to set the IE security to Low to get to the next screen.
This is what I saw.
Congratulations, you have just successfully joined the iMesh Buddies Program!

Here is what you have to do to receive your free copy of iMesh Premium:

1) Send the link in the box below to as many of your friends as possible.
2) When one of your friends installs iMesh using the link you sent, you will automatically receive one credit point.
3) When you collect 3 credit points, your iMesh Premium license will be sent to your email.

IMPORTANT: To give you a credit for iMesh Premium your friend has to download iMesh from the following link only and must have cookies enabled in the internet browser.

...along with a referal link.
I used a @Mailinator.com email address. In under 5 minutes of registration I had an email titled "Fw: Full Sized High Seped Movie" in my in box.

iMesh does have Cydoor. Not the program itslef, there's no Cydoor program folder. Cydoor runs the ads in iMesh. I'd recognize those huge Flash banners telling me to shoot the * and win an iPod anywhere.

The GUI was a unique look. The program spoon feeds you everything. It's as if the programmers think their users don't know what they're doing...

iMesh connects to the iMesh network, Gnutella and G2(GnucDNA). I dind't see Fasttrack anywhere.
It doesn't list G2 has its own network. In options, there's a screen called "Gnutella Options". This controls Ultrapeer, Download and Upload ability for both Gnutella and G2.
There's no stats on how many users are online for any network.
I ran a search for U2 any filetype on iMesh only and there 147 results none had more than 2 sources. Searching Just Gnutella and G2 there was 174 results and 1 file with 38 sources.
On the download screen it does list what net your downloading from, I only saw the Gnucleus icon. When you've got a download highlighted you'll see the sources in another box on the bottom of the screen. It lists the ip address, port number and the upload speed.
At first I was downloading from 3 users reaching 15kB. Half way through the download stopped and said Failed. There was no explanation and no options to search for more sources.

The uninstaller lauched IE and sent me to a uninstall survey. It had to restart to complete the uninstall. The iMesh bar was not uninstalled.

My rateing,
-2 for the ad banner.
-2 for the search bar.
-1 for not doing a complete uninstall.
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby LxBeast » Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:30 pm

It's OK. [1]

Whom, may I ask, thinks it's ok?
LxBeast

Postby SlyckScratch » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:04 pm

Hands up. Who voted "It completely sucks" when you haven't even tried it.

You should've voted "Haven't tried it and Don't Care"

Shouldn't you, LxB...or did you install it? :shock:
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby LxBeast » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:10 pm

SlyckScratch wrote:Hands up. Who voted "It completely sucks" when you haven't even tried it.

/Raises hand.

SlyckScratch wrote:You should've voted "Haven't tried it and Don't Care"

Shouldn't you, LxB...or did you install it? :shock:

LxB wrote:Full of ad/spyware, I wouldn't use it with someone else's computer, let alone my own.

It isn't worth it's pathetic exitstence, installing ad/spyware alone regards this app as filth. <No opt out option obviously/etc.>
LxBeast

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:12 pm

SlyckScratch wrote:Hands up. Who voted "It completely sucks" when you haven't even tried it.

Look
And he just won't stop!
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby OhMyGod » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:16 pm

So Allied, that very well such it all up! Thaks for trying it out and letting us know something that we thought anyway. So was there any improvement at all? What did you say to them on that survey?

Oh are you sure that you install that new version because the old version is still on their home page?
The reason I ask is that I tried ver. 5.0 and it did about the same as you posted above.

The new version 5.2 is at http://www.download.com/iMesh/3000-2166 ... ag=lst-0-2

I haven't tried it and probably won't.

ThankYou :D
OhMyGod

Postby Allied » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:32 pm

I downloaded the version from Downloads.com I've deleted all traces of it from my computer but I'm pretty sure it was 5.2.
I don't know if any of it was an improvement since I havnt're tried it since 3.x

In the survey, I said "I finished reverse engineering the imesh network.".
That link I posted is valad. Type soemthing in there just to screw with the iMesh people :lol:
Allied's Review:
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Postby LxBeast » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:36 pm

Allied wrote:In the survey, I said "I finished reverse engineering the imesh network.".

LMAO. :lol:

Allied wrote:That link I posted is valad. Type soemthing in there just to screw with the iMesh people :lol:

:mrgreen: :lol:
LxBeast

Postby Ooble » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:45 pm

Ooble wrote:I consider iMesh to be the 13th Biblical plague.

Think that'll ruffle their feathers?
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

Postby LxBeast » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:46 pm

LMFAO! :lol: :lol:
LxBeast

Postby zim » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:53 pm

i havent tried electroshock to my nuts either... but i can safely say it completely sucks...
zim

Postby Assyrian » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:26 pm

it completely sucks!

last time i tried imesh was back after napster fell.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Postby LxBeast » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:15 am

It's Great! 4% [ 1 ]

WTF? So much for a serious poll. :lol:
LxBeast

Postby zim » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:42 am

its imesh... wtf u expect? :lol:
zim

IM2NET

Postby Morph Wizard » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:37 am

Doesn't anyone read what's going on? iMESH was sued last year by the RIAA. Instead of spending $4 million in legal fees to fight, they agreed to fork over $4.1 million to the RIAA and also agreed to implement a filtering system from Audible Magic (instead of the Snocap/Mashboxx filtering technology). And a former top exec from Sony/BMG has taken over as top honcho of the company. Well after a year, they still can't get the filtering to work properly and I beleive that IM2NET is the new "filtered" network which obvilously still does not work.

Of course, the Audible Magic people forgot to inform members of Congress last year that their filtering system was untested and did not scale. That did not stop AM from promoting it on Capital Hill during Sen. Hatch's Induce Act days as the solution to rid the world of "illegal file sharing services." Details, details. Propaganda!

If I were any of the iMesh usrs downloading that software I would be afraid...very afraid. The company is sqaurely beling controled by RIAA interests and why do you think the RIAA is allowing for unabated file sharing to continue using iMESH? Could it be that there is some secret spyware that might be tracking every IP address with every download and upload commited? I can only speculate.

A tangled web, indeed.
Morph Wizard

Postby Vampmon » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:21 am

Exactly, and i wonder why CNET dont allow user reviews on the download link direct from iMesh.com ( http://www.download.com/1200-2025-5140766.html ) Compared to the link from when you search iMesh on CNET site ( http://www.download.com/3000-2166_4-10411897.html )

I'd think again if you're thinking of downloading iMesh, shame though, used to be top notch software.
http://forum.p2pchat.net << Click, Register, Post!
Vampmon

Postby Frell45 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:26 am

Havent nor will i try it and nor do I care imesh rubbish.....
Early to bed Early to rise makes a man wealthy healthy and bored...
Frell45

Postby OhMyGod » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:36 pm

I used iMesh 3.0 alot when it was the best P2P program. That was when their spyware was very bad and it was becomming a new thing. This was before FastTrack got corrupted with fakes and malware. iMesh has improved with the spyware issue, only MySearch Bar and Cydoor for ads, back at version 4.0 there was a whole list of crap that it installed. So there is a little improvement to compaire iMesh to Kazaa and Grokster that still install a lot of spyware crap. Adding Gnutella to the iMesh lineup was also an improvement.

But it is the mistakes that iMesh has made that it is known for. Giving in to the RIAA instead of fighting them. Kazaa, Grokster and Morpheus were all charged for about the same thing. Kazaa and Morpheus fights the RIAA and wins when iMesh just completely gave up and didn't fight. That is the main part that iMesh is now known for. Every since then nobody has given iMesh a fair chance. When they here the word "iMesh" the first thing that comes to their mind is "SUCKS".

I really can't see iMesh making any kind of a come back soon or ever. People are just not willing to give iMesh a fair chance after the RIAA settlement.

ThankYou. 8)
OhMyGod

Next

Return to iMesh