Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

ThePirateBay Closure a Hoax - Update

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

ThePirateBay Closure a Hoax - Update

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:44 am

ThePirateBay.org often laughed in the face of the copyright industry. Whenever ThePirateBay received a copyright violation notice, it would often <a href=http://web.archive.org/web/20050124204354/www.thepiratebay.org/frame.html target=_blank>post</a> the violation, coupled with a humorous response. Not only was ThePirateBay well known for its defiance of the copyright industry, it was a well respected resource for it BitTorrent tracking abilities.

Although ThePirateBay has an enormous resource of torrents, ranging from software, movies, TV shows and music, this aspect almost took a back seat to its nose thumbing. Below is an excerpt from a response to a copyright violation notice.

"Dear whatever-you-are,"

"thank you for providing us and our users with such great entertainment. I'm not talking about Enya (hey, Enya fucking sucks), but instead of your nonsensical email."

"You have scored 10 out of 10 points on our Legal Threats Entertainment scale. You win the grand prize: A lifetime of ridicule on our legal threats section (http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/)! Congratulations!"

While ThePirateBay often provided comic relief in light of the MPAA global campaign to root out BitTorrent indexing sites, today's news is considerably more serious - at least we are led to believe so. On the home page of ThePirateBay, a visitor is confronted with the following message.

"Today the swedish anti-piracy organizations raided The Pirate Bay and confiscated the computers running the tracker. This probably means the end of The Pirate Bay and we, the crew, apologize for all loss of income caused by our activity over the years."

However ThePirateBay in its typical humor is playing a bit of a hoax on the BitTorrent community. Many have been mislead into believing the Swedish copyright enforcement organization, Antipiratbyran, is responsible for removing ThePirateBay's indexing abilities. According to chat taking place on their IRC channel, this is just a hoax and the site should be up in a few hours after some server upgrades. So those worrying about loosing their favorite BitTorrent site have nothing to fear, at least not yet.

<b>Update:</b> It appears ThePirateBay is currently preparing a new version of their site. The following message now appears on their home page.

"Nu kanske du undrar varför vi gjorde så här? Vi ville bara göra er uppmärksamma på att The Pirate Bay snart kommer i en ny version."

This roughly translates to:

"Now maybe yous am wondering whys we did it so here? We would only make yourself aware on that The Pirate Bay soon am arriving in an fresh version."
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby LxBeast » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:46 am

Damn Swedish Humor! :lol: :lol: :lol: :P
LxBeast

Postby cantbearsed » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:46 am

respect!
cantbearsed

Postby SlyckScratch » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:49 am

The 'apology' on the front page gave it away.

Server upgrades underway.
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Re: ThePirateBay Closure a Hoax

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:49 am

SlyckTom wrote:ThePirateBay.org often laughed in the face of the copyright industry. Whenever ThePirateBay received a copyright violation notice, it would often <a href=http://web.archive.org/web/20050124204354/www.thepiratebay.org/frame.html target=_blank>post</a> the violation, coupled with a humorous response. Not only was ThePirateBay well known for its defiance of the copyright industry, it was a well respected resource for it BitTorrent tracking abilities.

Although ThePirateBay has an enormous resource of torrents, ranging from software, movies, TV shows and music, this aspect almost took a back seat to its nose thumbing. Below is an excerpt from a response to a copyright violation notice.

"Dear whatever-you-are,"

"thank you for providing us and our users with such great entertainment. I'm not talking about Enya (hey, Enya fucking sucks), but instead of your nonsensical email."

"You have scored 10 out of 10 points on our Legal Threats Entertainment scale. You win the grand prize: A lifetime of ridicule on our legal threats section (http://static.thepiratebay.org/legal/)! Congratulations!"

While ThePirateBay often provided comic relief in light of the MPAA global campaign to root out BitTorrent indexing sites, today's news is considerably more serious - at least we are led to believe so. On the home page of ThePirateBay, a visitor is confronted with the following message.

"Today the swedish anti-piracy organizations raided The Pirate Bay and confiscated the computers running the tracker. This probably means the end of The Pirate Bay and we, the crew, apologize for all loss of income caused by our activity over the years."

However ThePirateBay in its typical humor is playing a bit of a hoax on the BitTorrent community. Many have been mislead into believing the Swedish copyright enforcement organization, Antipiratbyran, is responsible for removing ThePirateBay's indexing abilities. According to chat taking place on their IRC channel, this is just a hoax and the site should be up in a few hours after some server upgrades. So those worrying about loosing their favorite BitTorrent site have nothing to fear, at least not yet.

Thankyou Tom

I pretty much said that in the first pirate bay thread. Good publicity for the pirate bay......hmm maybe i'll download a movie from the site when its back up.......scuze me the site only hosts trackers so i'll be downloading from a users computer and not the Pirate Bay as Fredrik explains to the mpaa stooges time and time again!
Anonymous

Postby deadman » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:51 am

You can bet that they will come after them eventually though.
deadman

Postby LxBeast » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:53 am

Thats already happening, luckily TPB doesn't break any laws in Sweden. :wink:
LxBeast

Postby cantbearsed » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:53 am

Tom i do believe YOU were also mislead by the statement on the website! if i remember correctly there was a story on slyck.com for about 1 minute on the RAIDS carried out on thepiratebay.org

hehhe luckily some nice guy must have informed you otherwise ;)
cantbearsed

Postby Rhodry » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:53 am

Wow! Haha, Tom you're the best at getting the news out quick. I love your dedication of getting the real juices. Thanks.
Rhodry

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:54 am

deadman wrote:You can bet that they will come after them eventually though.

Not unless they change Swedish Law as I understand its illegal to upload not download and Pirate Bay only hosts trackers not the actual files.

So unless Swedish Law specifically says that a site hosting trackers is illegal then i dont see Pirate Bay having any problems.
Anonymous

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:54 am

In addition, if you understand Swedish, you can read a blog article that explains the current situation.

A rough translation: ( http://www.translation-guide.com/free_o ... to=English )

The Pirate Bay down for uppgradering The Pirate Bay had one few worrying message up for moment : Today be effected Swede antipirater a husrannsakan anti The Pirate Bay and confiscate servrarna as chauffeur sajten. This imply believable closed to The Pirate Bay , and wes as had drove sajten apologises for all as had loses revenue because ours activity. The interacts yet nots product any major danger , with mind on followings IRC - log : [ central ] whys am arriving self nots in on TPB? anakata ] down pga uppgradering [ central ] yoke. how long? anakata ] one couple timmarNo worries. Incidentally is the 1 a hiding layers am treading in force , nots today as many interacts have got for themselves. Nots for that any bother about yet.
SlyckTom

Postby Nessmaster » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:55 am

You have got to be shitting me.....
Nessmaster

Postby maths » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:57 am

deadman wrote:You can bet that they will come after them eventually though.

Unless they close themselves when the new Swedish law takes effect July 1'st.

A link to a denial of the Swedish Anti Piracy agency that they have seized their servers (In Swedish only):
http://computersweden.idg.se/ArticlePag ... 50.dbp.asp
maths

Postby grayman » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:58 am

The bastards! I've just deleted the partials tha i was downloading using their tracker....

Bloody swedish humor.... :shock:
grayman

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:01 pm

Here is another rough translation:

The Pirate Bay descending
2005-06-01 1707: updated 2Fildelarsajten The Pirate Bay is for the occasion down. Under data on webbplatsen ska one number antipiratorganisationer had closed webbplatsen. But Henrik Pontén on Antipiratbyrån deny duties. The able indicative that webbplatsen become hack.

At the time of writing am going the nots that come atewww.thepiratebay.org. Duties on sajten do counting that the is Swede antipirater as done a husrannsakan. They ska had seizure they serve as chauffeur webbplatsen.

"this imply believable closed to The Pirate Bay, and wes as had drove sajten apologises for all as had loses revenue because ours activity" am standing the on webbplatsen.

Into the bargain webbplatsen find also two log: Ifips: and Antipiratbyråns. The is in nuläget vague what the importance, but Henrik Pontén on Antipiratbyrån allege that organisation nots had somewhat with husrannsakan that make. The able denounce on that webbplatsen is hack. The able also product inquiring if one joke.

Persons behind The Pirate Bay am not having gone that attain for a annotation.

While this article seems to confirm that Antipiratebyrans has nothing to do with this, they appear to suspect it is a hack. I doubt that though...
SlyckTom

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:06 pm

a little exitement today now i must get some rest. I'll sleep better knowing it was only a hoax.

im still laughing at Freds response to the netsheriff idiot

"our legal team was partying pretty hard over the weekend so i'll have to get back to you"

muhahahahaha

then netsheriff sent him some corny

WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE

"Pirate Bay"
Anonymous

Postby cantbearsed » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:13 pm

Tom, read ur pm's

the pirate bay is putting up v2 soon!
cantbearsed

Postby Cardamon » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:18 pm

v2?! cool!
(and about time too :P)
Cardamon

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:28 pm

LOL, they got me! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby daburared » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:29 pm

holy crap i dropped a brick when i saw it, thankfully i did a quick check here to get more news. i was just browsing the site this morning and then i check back an hour later and get that page.

i was kinda wondering what was up with the apology, but i was guessed the server op was at gunpoint (the way they do it here in the US)
daburared

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:32 pm

Such Bad Timing for a hoax!
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby NoName » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:33 pm

What a way to do PR for their new and improved(?) website. haha
NoName

Postby kennyg101 » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:36 pm

Have just wasted time reposting my files ... AAAGGH
kennyg101

Postby ilbozo » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:41 pm

Christ whats with all the hoaxes goin around lately?
ilbozo

Postby sagaman » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:58 pm

I do have to admit: That was slyck... :o

They sure had me fooled, that is until I logged myself over to Slyck.com

Thanks Tom!
sagaman

Next

Return to Slyck News