Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

MPAA Blames BitTorrent for Star Wars Distribution

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

MPAA Blames BitTorrent for Star Wars Distribution

Postby SlyckTom » Sat May 21, 2005 11:28 am

Two days prior to Episode III's release, inaccurate reports dictated this movie was already spreading on the BitTorrent network. However, it was soon discovered the copy purportedly existing on BitTorrent was simply a false copy. On Wednesday, May 18th, approximately 3 hours before Episode III officially debuted in theaters, a release group named "ViSA" uploaded this film to the Newsgroups. This was the genuine article.

From there it eventually spread out to P2P networks such as eDonkey2000 and BitTorrent. For those unfamiliar or simply not willing to use the Newsgroups, P2P networks such as BitTorrent helped Episode III become accessible to the mainstream. Countless duplicates of this movie have since spread across computers throughout the world.

The MPAA has been working vigorously to thwart prerelease movies and online distribution. Recently, President George Bush recently signed the "The Family Entertainment and Copyright Act of 2005 (FECA)." This Act amends the current copyright law by adding prison time and significant fines for those found guilty of distributing prereleased movies.

Believing such amendments would deter movie pirates, the MPAA had some choice words over the current leakage of Episode III.

“There is no better example of how theft dims the magic of the movies for everyone than this report today regarding BitTorrent providing users with illegal copies of Revenge of the Sith. The unfortunate fact is this type of theft happens on a regular basis on peer to peer networks all over the world," MPAA President and CEO Dan Glickman said in a press release.

As an earlier post on the Slyck forums pointed out, the MPAA blamed BitTorrent as a whole, rather than a specific tracker (or trackers.) BitTorrent trackers act as indexes for the network, since the network itself is not searchable. Once an individual downloads a torrent file from a tracker, the torrent informs the BitTorrent client the necessary information to locate and download the desired media file.

Many feel generalizing BitTorrent in this fashion is unwarranted, as many legitimate uses exist; such as distributing the Linux Operating System.

“Fans have been lined up for days to see Revenge of the Sith. To preserve the quality of movies for fans like these and so many others, we must stop these Internet thieves from illegally trading valuable copyrighted materials on-line."

Or, as General Grievous would say, "Crush them!"
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Joe_Rigby » Sat May 21, 2005 11:51 am

I blame SOMEONE ON THE FUCKING INSIDE.

It makes me angry to no end they're blaming everyone that's currently sharing, of course they're going to fucking share it, it's a god damn Star Wars movie, the last one (supposedly) to be made. You make something of such significance available to the masses, they're going to take it if it's free, so I don't think they should be pissed at the people who share it (They're going to share it no matter what) But it being released 2 days in advance with it being as important as it is testament to their incompetence, and they should put the blame where it belongs. SQUARELY on their shoulders .

Sure, bit torrent is probably the way it will be spread to anyone desiring a copy, but it's no one's fault but their own it was released 2 days IN ADVANCE.

If you think differently, I don't care.

Oh yea, BTW, good article as always.
Joe_Rigby

Postby Fusen » Sat May 21, 2005 12:01 pm

it was only released 3 hours before the debut, and also how can they maon when the film made $16.5mill from the midnight screeners alone. I am seriously doubting that the movie being released on the net will hurt their revenue. and also they still think on the level well if the eprson wasn't able to download it then they would go pay to see it, which maybe the case for some but a damn lot of people I know includign me when it comes to films and songs would not go see it if it wasn't available online so I can't see where they are loosing money from me?
Fusen

Postby Captain America » Sat May 21, 2005 12:03 pm

to borrow a quote from a Steven Segal movie

"Sabatoge from the inside; is this how you run your business?"

quote explains the mpaa&riaa business plan perfectly.
Captain America

Postby Freebird Mike » Sat May 21, 2005 12:04 pm

If a man robs a bank and, in trying to avoid beig caught with the money, mails the loot from the bank to his home, does anyone accuse the postal service of stealing the money?

Glickman wrote:There is no better example of how theft dims the magic of the movies for everyone than this report today regarding BitTorrent providing users with illegal copies of Revenge of the Sith.

I love how they've personified a computer program.

"Bobby, if you don't eat your vegetables, BitTorrent will come in the middle of the night and spoil your movie-going magic by providing, if you so choose to actively seek it, a moderate quality copy of a work print with large timers obscuring the picture which may or may not be the exact same storyline as the theatrical release and was leaked to the internet community by an obvious insider who will not be ostercized for providing the print in the first place as much as Hollywood's customers who choose to download it."

NNNNOOOOOooooooo..............
Songlifter since 1999
Freebird Mike

Postby Psycho Ced » Sat May 21, 2005 12:10 pm

Or, as General Grievous would say, "Crush them!"

LOL :lol:

Well at 10 per movie CND now, I can see why they are pissed. But they still should not generalize BT. On no, cars kill people; lets ban all vehicles.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Overnet User » Sat May 21, 2005 12:28 pm

many people download things that they would have never purchased before so how is this lost revenue?
Overnet User

Re: MPAA Blames BitTorrent for Star Wars Distribution

Postby Solomon » Sat May 21, 2005 12:31 pm

SlyckTom wrote:The unfortunate fact is this type of theft happens on a regular basis on peer to peer networks all over the world," MPAA President and CEO Dan Glickman said in a press release.

Yes, tell everyone that they can get prerelease movies, for free. :roll:
Solomon

Postby Cynical_One » Sat May 21, 2005 12:39 pm

Ok, I haven't posted in a while, but after reading this....

“Fans have been lined up for days to see Revenge of the Sith. To preserve the quality of movies for fans like these and so many others, we must stop these Internet thieves from illegally trading valuable copyrighted materials on-line."

I don't personally understand why people would wait five days in line for a movie (or anything else for that matter) but these are clearly the hard-core fans. These are the people who will pay for the product and experience the 'experience' in a movie theater with 'big screen, big sound'. THAT is what people pay for when they go to the theater. Not so much the movie as much as the atmosphere.

Some of these very same people are also probably going to be downloading and sharing the movie as available on the internet.

F*cking greed. "oh no! we made 25 mil less than we should've!' How can one mathmatically figure out if something should've made more money?

Me? I just wait for the dvd and rent it from the local convienience store for $1.99 and watching on my own home theatre system that I paid well over $5000 for altogether. Good quality, good times. Oh yeah, if I *really* like it, I'll buy it.

Sorry if this rant is a little long, but I'm sure some people out there know what I'm talking about.
Cynical_One

Postby countrypirate » Sat May 21, 2005 12:50 pm

Well if they are blaming Torrents and file sharers for all this then where is our part of the profits :?: :wink:

Because if nothing else the publicity is helping promote the movie and show how popular and in demand it is. The MPAA is just using us as a publicity stunt and trying to hurt us all in the same motion.

Kind of makes you wonder if George Lucas and Bill Gates are brothers :twisted:
countrypirate

Postby PirateManic » Sat May 21, 2005 1:23 pm

I'm watching CNN news and they said the movie break the all time box-office opening day record. So much for us filesharers for not making people going to the theaters.LOL :lol:
PirateManic

Postby Adrian » Sat May 21, 2005 1:57 pm

LoL, they say they will crush P2P, how? banning internet access??? lol :roll:
Adrian

Postby Califax » Sat May 21, 2005 2:23 pm

Least their blaming bit torrent over newsgroups :lol:
Califax

Postby silentanvil » Sat May 21, 2005 2:52 pm

Psycho Ced wrote: On no, cars kill people; lets ban all vehicles.
doctors kill people too, lets ban doctors
silentanvil

Postby ceedee » Sat May 21, 2005 3:05 pm

Cynical_One wrote:

I don't personally understand why people would wait five days in line for a movie

I'm still trying to figure out how it could effect their enjoyment if these folk had been outside the theatres for days.
Were they downloading it on wi-fi?
Or did some mean person go and tell them they were wasting their time in the queue?
:)
ceedee

Happy

Postby maniac3000 » Sat May 21, 2005 3:14 pm

I am glad it has been released on torrents, now i get to enjoy the movie in the comfort of my own home, instead of in an $$$expensive$$$ theatre with a bunch of screaming misfits in.
Long live torrents

Long Live Software/Movie Piracy on the internet
maniac3000

Postby Thomas Davie » Sat May 21, 2005 4:15 pm

I got kicked out of the first SW movie half way through; walked out of the seoncd one half way through, and have never seen Jedi, Phantom Menace, or Clones. I downloaded Sith from a newsgroup. Took a quick look at it, and deleted it. You know why? I thought it was a POS. But thats *JUST* me. Others love it. All the power to them.

Now, I dare, defy or ask ANY studio executive to tell me how I ruined the movie going experience for any individual on planet earth, The copy I downloaded was seen *JUST* by me; and only a few minutes at that.

Unless of course they mean to imply that by spreading a bad opinion about the movie that I am somehow destroying or sullying the experience for others?

They just don't get it.

Tom
Thomas Davie

Postby darthdiggler » Sat May 21, 2005 6:32 pm

i drove 900 miles, waited in line 6 hours, went again the next day, then drove 900 miles back home. (yes, it WAS worth it)

the people who want to see this movie are going to go see it, not settle on some low quality rip. if somebody who didnt want to see it DL's it instead, the MPAA aren't losing a sale. $16 million on the midnight showings alone. F#$* them.
You won't find a more wretched hive of scum and villany. We must be cautious.
darthdiggler

Re: Happy

Postby poles_apart » Sat May 21, 2005 7:03 pm

maniac3000 wrote:I am glad it has been released on torrents, now i get to enjoy the movie in the comfort of my own home, instead of in an $$$expensive$$$ theatre with a bunch of screaming misfits in.
Long live torrents

Long Live Software/Movie Piracy on the internet

Ha ha I agree, I'll be one sale the MPAA has lost.
Poor MPAA having to resort to crap like 'magic of the movies' cos what must be the most downloaded film (100 - 200k so far i'm guessing) ever is also making them the most money ever.
poles_apart

Postby skippee » Sat May 21, 2005 7:30 pm

If pirates are such bad people then why do I feel so good about it? I'm not a bad person and I actually think I will be in heaven some day. :twisted: Wadaya say Glickman???
skippee

Postby Fowler » Sat May 21, 2005 7:32 pm

Who wants to just watch it on a pc? Obviously, most people will want to watch a widescreen presentation too. So thanks for stuffing up your advertising MPAA.
Fowler

Postby aussiebeermatt » Sat May 21, 2005 7:53 pm

The MPAA has got it wrong again .They need to relise if you dont make it availible through your own legitamte distribution channels on release day people will get any way they can .

Can you buy Revenge of the Sith on Cinema Now or is it on any pay per view network?

As it stands at the momnet you cant .So the MPAA can make all the claims they like but until they make somthing availible on somthing as easy as Bittorent or one of the new pay p2p networks for a reasonable fee on release day they are fighting a losing battle .
aussiebeermatt

Complaining about 50 millions box office?!?!

Postby nohead » Sat May 21, 2005 8:04 pm

After starting the day with $16,912,367 from midnight shows alone, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith closed Thursday with $50,013,859 from an estimated 9,400 screens at 3,661 theaters. That's the biggest day ever for a single movie in history.

source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com

Can MPAA make a correlation between the p2p download and the box office? The more a movie is downloaded the better the box office is?!?!

MPAA, shut the f*** up and we'll still go the movie theater for watching movies!
Sky isn`t the limit, I am.
nohead

Postby slacker6 » Sat May 21, 2005 8:51 pm

Revenge of the Sith, while better the Episode 1 or 2, still pales in comparison to the 4, 5 and 6. The writing is horrible.

And yes, I see no reason to pay $10 USD when I can watch it in a few months at home on my 107" diagonal screen. I don't need a damn theater so they can piss off.
slacker6

Postby codgod04 » Sat May 21, 2005 9:03 pm

Quote:
After starting the day with $16,912,367 from midnight shows alone, Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith closed Thursday with $50,013,859 from an estimated 9,400 screens at 3,661 theaters. That's the biggest day ever for a single movie in history.

source: http://www.boxofficemojo.com

Can MPAA make a correlation between the p2p download and the box office? The more a movie is downloaded the better the box office is?!?!

MPAA, shut the f*** up and we'll still go the movie theater for watching movies!

not only that, but the MPAA is bitching over loseing thier "potential" profits, when the movie itself has already made over half a hundred million in sales? in the profession that i work in, that kind of money made in a few weeks is unheard of!!!!!

and i agree with the earlier statements about where the blame is being placed. if the industry has a problem with a movie being leaked, than it is most likely someone with primary access to a master copy, or a person you gave a copy to, that is the one who stole it. the millions of people around the world aren't the thieves, they are just bystanders who got in the way between the theft, and the attempt to cover up thier (the **AAs) own mistakes.

can you say "scapegoat"?
codgod04

Next

Return to Slyck News