Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

TVTorrents Ends Torrent Indexing

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

TVTorrents Ends Torrent Indexing

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:21 pm

TVTorrents, one of the premier BitTorrent sites for TV shows, has permanently ceased the indexing of .torrent files. The site was well known in the BitTorrent community, and became an important avenue for the distribution of digital files.

However, TVTorrents was not without some its fair share of uptime problems. Due to a minor clerical error and a domain switch in late November 2004, TVTorrents.net was offline for nearly a month. However, the site returned in December of 2004 as TVTorrents.tv. From the administrator of now TVTorrents.tv:

"'I’m writing on behalf of #tvtorrents, one of the largest tv show bittorent sites. We've had some trouble with our domain name (a former op decided to let it lapse without telling us!) and we have a new url - http://www.tvtorrents.tv to replace the old one (http://www.tvtorrents.net). There's rumors going around that we're closed down like Torrentbits and SuprNova, but we're still here."

Although the site remained on line for the first quarter of 2005, another server glitch would take the site offline in late March. From the administrator of TVTorrents (03/04):

<i>We know the site is down right now. If you have a 10mbit server in europe and are willing to host part of the website so we can return to service, please /join #TVT-Apply -- Thanks for your patience, and sorry for the inconvenience!</i>

In the end, it appears uptime would prove to be the least of TVTorrents' problems. According to a message posted to the front page of TVTorrents, the site appears have shut down .torrent indexing permanently.

"Sorry, but TVTorrents is down. No, I will not return. Sorry for any hassles. Thanks for all the memories and good times we had together in #tvtorrents. As of now, the channel will remain open, but stay +m (no talking)."

"Again, sorry for having to leave, but it became necessary. If you can donate to help with the pending settlement, please do so!"

Although few details are given, the mention of “pending settlement” indicates some form of litigation is being directed at TVTorrents.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby n33raj » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:26 pm

fu*k.

this sux...it ruled ova most of the other tv torrent sites. apart from btefnet are there now any others???

btefnet will now completely overload with leechers! it was already really popular and full with leechers who didnt seed.

bollu*ks .
n33raj

Postby LxBeast » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:34 pm

It's a shame whenever a useful torrent site goes down.

Curiousity killed the cat, but I really want to know what happened - Donations for a settlement - A settlement with Whom? Why? When?
LxBeast

Postby puzzlepants » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:41 pm

For crying out loud, does it ever stop?

Though I didn't use this site very often, whenever I couldn't find something on btefnet, I could always find it here.

A bigger problem could be what kind of suit they are up against. Will it set a precedent? Personally, I'm pretty worried...if this site can be shut down thanks to a lawsuit, I'm sure btefnet can be taken down under the same circumstances
puzzlepants

You know...

Postby zim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:42 pm

Complaining about "leechers" on bit torrent is getting REAL old now.

It's impossible to leech in the classic way from bit torrent.

If you dont upload you dont get hardly anything back.

If you wanna complain about something. Try complaining about the torrent clients that allow multiple torrents to run at once. Thus splitting any bandwidth they do give out to 10 or 20 torrents at once making them nearly USELESS as peers or seeds. These clients are killing BT more than anything else. And im sure every one of you using such a client will throw a fit and claim its the best thing since sliced bread. Which only shows you dont know basic math, let alone anything about how bit torrent works. Just remember your current opinion when bit torrent gets as slow as emule. Until then. At least i can continue to block such clients and kick my speeds up about 4x.

-

Gonna miss you tvtorrents. You rocked.
And i'll give you credit for not going all out on the begging for funds to fight your lawsuit like some OTHER site we all know and hate.

But really... There will be 4 sites to take your place within a month. Isnt p2p great! Really a pisser the **AA's havent gotten it yet tho. It should be illegal to be that rich. And that clueless.
zim

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:03 pm

And i'll give you credit for not going all out on the begging for funds to fight your lawsuit like some OTHER site we all know and hate.

No he is just asking for money to pay them off.

I sympathise with his situation but settling with these people gives them a free victory and makes it harder to fight them. It directly effects people like myself and Kevin Reid.

Also if he is settling does that mean he is handing over user data in the forms of logs and/or databases? There hasn't been a settlement yet that didn't require that as part of the settlement. I notice he says nothing about this.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff

Postby zim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:09 pm

AlexanderHanff wrote:

No he is just asking for money to pay them off.

I sympathise with his situation but settling with these people gives them a free victory and makes it harder to fight them. It directly effects people like myself and Kevin Reid.

Alexander Hanff

Asking simply like that isnt begging tho. He didnt start a campaign to suck money and pretend he was gonna fight.. :) Asking i respect. begging. i'll never respect that again. i actually gave that OTHER site that shall not be named... 50 bucks to help him "fight" the mpaa. pfffft. fool me once....... as it is i may send tvtorrents 20 bucks if i got it on friday. I hardly ever used tvtorrents but when i had to. They had what i wanted.

Cant fault him for settling dude. What would YOU do if a big giant corp came after you with lawyers? Most people who are not rich cant fight something like that. Right or wrong as they may be. You just cant stand up to it. It would rule your life and take over everything. I dont blame anyone for not wanting to get into that.

And really if everyone who downloaded sent him a dollar. We'd win cheap in the end. download 10 million worth of shows and settle with them for 10 grand when the lawyers come. :P Its a good trade, and even in loosing we still "win" a small victory.
Last edited by zim on Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zim

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:13 pm

But then those of us who do not have the resources or inclination to settle end up getting shafted even more in our fight, because everyone who settles is admitting guilt and in doing so they give the **AA ammunition to use in the courts against those who don't settle, like myself and Kevin Reid. They are helping the MPAA to destroy the p2p community.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:15 pm

What would YOU do if a big giant corp came after you with lawyers? Most people who are not rich cant fight something like that. Right or wrong as they may be. You just cant stand up to it. It would rule your life and take over everything. I dont blame anyone for not wanting to get into that.

Actually, I am being sued to the tune of $150 Million USD + Costs by the MPAA, and I am fighting, not settling.

Alexander Hanff
Owner of http://www.dvdr-core.org
AlexanderHanff

Postby ukj » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:22 pm

Zim to Alexander

What would YOU do if a big giant corp came after you with lawyers? Most people who are not rich cant fight something like that. Right or wrong as they may be. You just cant stand up to it. It would rule your life and take over everything. I dont blame anyone for not wanting to get into that.

ROFL :) One of the best.
ukj

Postby zim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:22 pm

AlexanderHanff wrote:But then those of us who do not have the resources or inclination to settle end up getting shafted even more in our fight, because everyone who settles is admitting guilt and in doing so they give the **AA ammunition to use in the courts against those who don't settle, like myself and Kevin Reid. They are helping the MPAA to destroy the p2p community.

Alexander Hanff

in theory i agree with you. but in reality?

Not alot they COULD do. What we need is someone really rich to actually FIGHT one of these suits. Someone really nasty and dedicated. Willing to play on their own level.

And remember. for every site that dies. settled or not. It inspires 10 people or more to say "hey screw that! im putting up my own site now!"

And 1 or 2 of them will end up in countrys the **aa's cant touch.

Its not the best solution. granted. but its the cheap solution. Theres not many people or groups of people who can compete with the lawyers you can hire for MILLIONS of dollars. What was the mpaa's profit last year? billions? You just cant fight that in court.

Money rules the world. And the p2p world just doesnt have as much as the corps to throw around.

What we do have is voting power. Vote with your wallet. Stop supporting the riaa/mpaa/ect... Stop buying their stuff. Stop listening to them whine about "piracy". Tell them all to get bent. :)

For all our complaints. That still has not happned. Movies still rake in billions. Stop that and we have a chance to hurt them where they live.
zim

Postby zim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:26 pm

AlexanderHanff wrote:

Actually, I am being sued to the tune of $150 Million USD + Costs by the MPAA, and I am fighting, not settling.

Alexander Hanff
Owner of http://www.dvdr-core.org

I feel for ya then. But you might as well realize. You CAN'T win. Sure you may be morally right and even technically legally right. But the law doesnt care. It does care about who can hire the most lawyers and buy the most support.

Its not right. Its not fair. But nobody ever said the world was fair :|

Give ya respect for fighting. But take some away for thinking you can win. Aint the world a mess!
zim

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:27 pm

No not at all. Situations like this do nothing to help the global cause. When they settle and hand over logs the MPAA then threaten to sue the people they identify from those logs. If you read the news you will see this is happening, the BPI (British RIAA) just served another 30 odd individuals based on the identities they forced the ISPs to give them.

The BPI stated on record just this week, that they are going to start going after college kids for copyright infringement and where the parties are not legally of age to be responsible, they -will- sue the parents.

Settling is an afront to everything the p2p community stands for.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:33 pm

Give ya respect for fighting. But take some away for thinking you can win. Aint the world a mess!

It is not a case of whether or not I win, I do not have the means to meet their settlement. I have no choice but to fight. That said though, I wouldn't have settled anyway, not at the cost of the logs and database.

There is always a chance, so there is a chance I will win, the reality is I will probably lose and be made bankrupt but I have already addressed this and accepted it. But just because I face overwhelming odds, doesn't mean I shouldn't fight. When you get put into a corner with no chance to retreat, there really is no other choice.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff

Postby zim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:34 pm

ukj wrote:
Zim to Alexander

Hey im "new" here. To the forums anyways.

Who he is and his fight are just background noise (news) to me. Since i never knew his site and had no personal intrest in it.

I was aware of it from the news here months ago now that i think about it. Since he named his site.

But the worlds a big busy places to keep up on the personal details to everything.

And like it or not. i'm right. You can fight. But you cant win. :| Your only hope is the fight atttracting enough attention that someone in power wants to stand up and do the RIGHT thing for a change. Instead of whats profitable.
zim

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:37 pm

zim wrote:
ukj wrote:
Zim to Alexander

Hey im "new" here. To the forums anyways.

Who he is and his fight are just background noise (news) to me. Since i never knew his site and had no personal intrest in it.

I was aware of it from the news here months ago now that i think about it. Since he named his site.

But the worlds a big busy places to keep up on the personal details to everything.

And like it or not. i'm right. You can fight. But you cant win. :| Your only hope is the fight atttracting enough attention that someone in power wants to stand up and do the RIGHT thing for a change. Instead of whats profitable.

Which is -exactly- why I am fighting and trying to raise public awareness and public support. But the attitude you just displayed in that message is unfortunately typical of the global p2p community as a whole. This is not a flame, just a constructive criticism, but by being to busy to get involved in what are serious social and political issues such as these, which impose on civil liberties and even freedom, then your apathy is just feeding the machine and giving them more and more control.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff

Postby zim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:44 pm

AlexanderHanff wrote:

It is not a case of whether or not I win, I do not have the means to meet their settlement. I have no choice but to fight. That said though, I wouldn't have settled anyway, not at the cost of the logs and database.

There is always a chance, so there is a chance I will win, the reality is I will probably lose and be made bankrupt but I have already addressed this and accepted it. But just because I face overwhelming odds, doesn't mean I shouldn't fight. When you get put into a corner with no chance to retreat, there really is no other choice.

Alexander Hanff

It's a fight to do anything RIGHT anymore. You have to pick your battles carefully.

If this is one you are willing to fight is totally upto you and your personal situation. if it was me i dont know what i'd do. I've got enough problems without spending my life and time fighting a battle i know i was right in. but that i'd never win. Thatd drain me and make me even more jaded and bitter twards the world.

Prolly tell em to go f themselves and take whatever comes. Look pathetic and play the angle that the big bad corp is beating up on the little guy.

Dont know the bankruptcy laws there. England or the uk right? But here it would be a good choice. You cant get blood from a stone no matter how hard you squeeze.
zim

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:49 pm

How long does it take you to select an option on a poll, get involved in a forum or even click on a banner ad?

Of the hundreds of millions of filesharers around the globe, if they all clicked on a banner once a day or got involved by giving up a few minutes of their time to sign a petition or do a poll, then I would be going to court with overwhelming public support and the finances to pay for a team of lawyers.

But I suppose, queueing up the next torrent or posting a complaint about speed is more important than protecting the liberties of the human race.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff

Re: TVTorrents Ends Torrent Indexing

Postby SlyckScratch » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:54 pm

TVTorrents wrote: "Again, sorry for having to leave, but it became necessary. If you can donate to help with the pending settlement, please do so!"

I'm wondering why this statement is so supremely vague.

If this is another takedown, the starvation of information mirrors certain other situations we've seen before, one in particular. Lack of detail generates suspicion and anxiety. It's an effective weapon indeed.

zim wrote: And like it or not. i'm right. You can fight. But you cant win.

We'll have to wait and see, won't we?
O ye of little faith......the UK may surprise you yet
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:56 pm

Article 27 of the Declaration of Human Rights states the following:

"All the world's people have the right to participate in the cultural life of the community, including the arts and sciences"

Simply by the number of people engaging in p2p activity it has become part of modern culture. Under the laws of our United Nations, it is declared that every person on the planet has a basic right to participate in culture. Shutting down sites that allow people to partake in that culture is a breach of our basic rights as human beings.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff

Postby zim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:58 pm

AlexanderHanff wrote:
Which is -exactly- why I am fighting and trying to raise public awareness and public support. But the attitude you just displayed in that message is unfortunately typical of the global p2p community as a whole. This is not a flame, just a constructive criticism, but by being to busy to get involved in what are serious social and political issues such as these, which impose on civil liberties and even freedom, then your apathy is just feeding the machine and giving them more and more control.

Alexander Hanff

I agree with you. But will it change me? No.
The world has ground us all down to where most people are just trying to get by without getting majorly screwed anymore.

I used to care. But then i grew up and realized i have to focus on some things at the expense of others. Given that I dont have unlimited free time and unlimited money.

I can fix almost anything. But i'll be dammed if i can fix the world/people or even imagine i can anymore. And it does need fixing. People need a HUGE wakeup call. A nice revolution would do it.

But what can most people really DO anymore? Just try and not get financially squashed or killed outright.

And the people who have the power and wealth to actually make changes for the better. Dont seem to give a damm about anything but getting more power and wealth above anything else.

Its sad beyond belief.
zim

Postby AlexanderHanff » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:01 pm

zim wrote:
AlexanderHanff wrote:

Alexander Hanff

I agree with you. But will it change me? No.
The world has ground us all down to where most people are just trying to get by without getting majorly screwed anymore.

I used to care. But then i grew up and realized i have to focus on some things at the expense of others. Given that I dont have unlimited free time and unlimited money.

I can fix almost anything. But i'll be dammed if i can fix the world/people or even imagine i can anymore. And it does need fixing. People need a HUGE wakeup call. A nice revolution would do it.

But what can most people really DO anymore? Just try and not get financially squashed or killed outright.

And the people who have the power and wealth to actually make changes for the better. Dont seem to give a damm about anything but getting more power and wealth above anything else.

Its sad beyond belief.

So your answer is to just give up? To sit back and become enslaved by the mechanics of corporate business models?

Then can I ask what you feel the point of your life is? If you are willing to give in so freely are you actually living a life or following a predetermined "script" given to you by the global profiteers?

You are right on one thing though, it is truly sad, moreso that you acknowledge it and choose to be defeated anyway.

Alexander Hanff
AlexanderHanff

Re: TVTorrents Ends Torrent Indexing

Postby zim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:03 pm

scratch wrote:
zim wrote: And like it or not. i'm right. You can fight. But you cant win.

We'll have to wait and see, won't we?
O ye of little faith......the UK may surprise you yet

I thought you uk peeps might. But you folded pretty quick to the major changes the us was pressuring on you.

Hell. Im just glad you guys bit*hslapped microsoft and dont seem to be backing down.

Tiny victorys is all we can hope for anymore i think. Until something MAJOR changes. And i doubt it will. Individuals may be smart. but people are stupid and greedy.

Things would be diffrent if *I* was in charge. But im not. Heh. they'd never let me.
zim

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:16 pm

I can see this deteriorating VERY quickly....let's move on please.
SlyckTom

Postby zim » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:21 pm

AlexanderHanff wrote:
So your answer is to just give up? To sit back and become enslaved by the mechanics of corporate business models?

Then can I ask what you feel the point of your life is? If you are willing to give in so freely are you actually living a life or following a predetermined "script" given to you by the global profiteers?

You are right on one thing though, it is truly sad, moreso that you acknowledge it and choose to be defeated anyway.

Alexander Hanff

You dont know me. And my life and problems. Dont go there. I fight plenty as is. But im getting TIRED. Phsicially emotionally, spiritually. And nobody cares anymore. Its wearing me down. And when it comes right down to it. NOBODY is fighting for me.

Like i said. You gotta pick your battles anymore. You cant fight everything ALL the time and have any sanity or peace. And like it or not. You wont get out of life alive. So you might as well try to enjoy some things while you can before you're too old to enjoy anything and end up with nothing but regrets.

I'd rather give up some things rather than be killed or live the rest of my life in a 6x6 cell. Both result in me not enjoying anything, ever.
zim

Next

Return to Slyck News