Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Musik: PyMusique’s Successor

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Musik: PyMusique’s Successor

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:40 pm

In mid-March, three programmers named Cody Brocious, Travis Watkins and Jon Lech Johansen collaborated on a project that would allow Linux users to access iTunes, while providing and alternative interface for Windows users. The project was named PyMusique.

Misunderstood by the mainstream media, attention was immediately diverted to the fact that PyMusique defeated iTunes’ DRM (Digital Rights Management). Although it did not wrap Apple’s AAC music file with DRM, PyMusique is and was not a piracy tool – it simply allowed the Linux community to join iTunes. Supporting this, the user must have an iTunes account and purchase each song in order to obtain any file. While reverse engineering iTunes was considered an impressive feat, their work was far from done.

Adding Alex Goodwin to the group, they continued their desire to access legal music on alternative operating systems - and brought Napster to the Linux community.

The result of this work is a program named Musik. According to Cody Brocious’ <a href=http://www.daeken.com target=_blank>blog</a>, it is the successor to PyMusique. Like PyMusique, Musik is not a piracy tool. In order to take advantage of the program, one needs an account with Napster. In addition, Napster’s DRM will stay intact.

Musik will be compatible with all three major operating system; Linux, Windows, and Mac. Although designed primarily for Linux users, this version is not quite completed yet.

“We can download songs,” Cody Brocious told Slyck.com, “but the songs currently can not be played on Linux...we're finishing up the DRM now.”

However, the program is working well on the Windows platform.

Musik is a robust program as it combines iTunes and Napster searchability into one program (a rough comparison would be a multi-network file-sharing program.)

In order to make Musik possible, a great deal of reverse engineering was accomplished. The logins, registration, purchasing, and “requesting a DRM license/key” all had to be duplicated for Musik.

Also, in order to play Napster’s DRM WMA files on the Linux operating system, the DRM employed had to be reverse engineered. Interestingly, in order to protect Napaster’s DRM for Linux it had to be reverse engineered, leaving the door open for exploitation. Indeed one of life's strange quirks.

Cody Brocious tells Slyck the Linux version should “hopefully” be available within the next few days. Until then, the command line Windows version is fully operational and available for download.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Amaranth » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:56 pm

musik is not really a successor to PyMusique. It is, after all, just a framework. PyMusique will be using this framework, just like the example cli app in the musik release.

--
Travis Watkins
Amaranth

Postby Psycho Ced » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:58 pm

Linux, such an underlooked community :twisted:
Good, for everyone. Now corporations don't have to waste their resources to target another market.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby tm, » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:03 pm

I just wanted to point out that it's been reported that several users can share a single Napster(II) account.

In tests conducted by MusicAlly, they were able to use one single account to simultaneously stream Napster songs from four separate locations.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/08 ... d_sharing/
tm,

Postby AussieMatt » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:16 pm

Tom got the scoop on this one not even Boing Boing has reported this yet.Good one Tom.
AussieMatt

Postby _eAgLe_ » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:22 pm

Hey nice article Tom.... as usual.
_eAgLe_

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:32 am

musik is not really a successor to PyMusique.

From the developer's home page:

"This is the successor to pymusique...."

That's coming straight from the horse's mouth.
SlyckTom

Postby Amaranth » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:59 am

Seeing how I'm one of those developers too I think I have some say in it. :) This is a difference of opinion between me and Cody that I'd rather not see everyone accept. A framework cannot be a successor to a program. He has later changed his arguement to basically say that PyMusique using the musik framework is the successor to PyMusique. :)

Edit: PyMusique is also my baby (the app you see, not the iTunes code underneath) so I think I'm the authority on this matter. PyMusique will be using musik though, that's why we wrote musik to begin with.

--
Travis Watkins
Amaranth

Couple of corrections

Postby go1dfish » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:28 am

Hi this is alex goodwin from the project.

The command line version works on all major operating systems now (it was originally targeted for linux, NOT windows) it was later modified to work on windows for people running 98/me.

None of the versions are 'quite completed yet' it is not yet possible to play anything received from napster (we should have this fixed in a few days), but it is possible to preview songs on iTunes. I also just committed a change to the svn to enable preliminary iTunes song buying support for anyone adventurous.

http://alex.rh.ncsu.edu/~alex/musik/
go1dfish

Return to Slyck News