Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Pay Per Download Preferred Over "Disappearing Music"

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Pay Per Download Preferred Over "Disappearing Music"

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:32 pm

A new study by Ipsos-Insight suggests that portable online music subscription services not only face stiff competition from P2P networks, but also from pay-per-download services. Napster's "Music to Go" program is the first mainstream service to offer such a program, which allows individuals to pay a flat fee, in addition to their subscription, to download an unlimited volume of music.

While Napster has touted this program as a great success, Ipsos's new research tends to disagree with their enthusiasm.

Ipsos sampled 743 U.S. downloaders, presenting them with several simulated music environments. 1) a file-sharing network; 2) a traditional subscription with a "pay-as-you-go" model; 3) an "on-demand streaming PC-tethered subscription-based service"; 4) a portable online music subscription service (such as Napster to Go.) Initially, downloaders were not presented with the P2P option.

In direct contrast to Napster's apparent growth in popularity, 24% of those surveyed stated they prefer a fee based, pay-as-you-go subscription services (with a streaming audio option.) When presented with a service similar to Napster-to-Go, which allowed for unlimited downloading, the amount of downloaders preferring this method was only 5%.

Those with prior downloading experience showed an even greater gap, with 28% preferring a pay-per download option, while only 4% preferred an "all you can download" option.

On the surface it would appear an "all you can download" method makes more financial sense. The catch is however, if you terminate your subscription with Napster, you can not revalidate your PC-tethered device and all your music disappears.

"With all of the recent media attention surrounding this rapidly changing market, these findings indicate that many downloaders still prefer a transactional payment structure over one that is subscription-based," said Matt Kleinschmit, a Vice President with Ipsos-Insight and author of the TEMPO research. "This suggests that recently launched portable online subscription services may need to encourage broader adoption through ambitious pricing and promotional or incentive -based acquisition strategies, particularly among those downloaders who have previously only had experience with a la carte fee-based methods."

The crux of the survey came about when free P2P file-sharing was introduced. An impressive 62% preferred the P2P network over all other methods. Despite all the legal battles, lawsuits and other mishaps, the draw of P2P remains a powerful force in todays music downloading market.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby red duck » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:37 pm

The crux of the survey came about when free P2P file-sharing was introduced. An impressive 62% preferred the P2P network over all other methods. Despite all the legal battles, lawsuits and other mishaps, the draw of P2P remains a powerful force in todays music downloading market.

some time ago i read a quote: you can make something illegal, but you can't make it unpopular
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby LxBeast » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:46 pm

Funny how P2P created internet distribution of music/etc before the industry made a 'legit' means of aquiring it.

So the industry creates the means:

Introducing a service which is inadequate, expensive, locked [DRM], etc.

P2P will always be an option, one that I and many others will take advantage of :!: :wink:
LxBeast

Postby notbob » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:57 pm

that title is deceptive

downloads you keep are more popular than files that disappear when you stop paying, but free unbastardized files will always be more popular than both
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby thejynxed » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:15 pm

Exactly notbob. We finally agree on something :D
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:24 pm

downloads you keep are more popular than files that disappear when you stop paying, but free unbastardized files will always be more popular than both

I agree...perhaps I'll write an abridged version of that...

edit...changed..."Pay Per Download Preferred Over 'Disappearing Music'"
SlyckTom

Postby Avenger » Fri Apr 08, 2005 3:51 pm

P2P is once again proven to be the best. :D
Files are Fun!
----
Didn't your mom ever teach you how to share?
Avenger

Postby mpfenton » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:30 pm

Why the survey fetish in the government and industry? Is it possible that people who run our lives don't really know what they're doing?

If there really is a "moral" choice here, then why all these fraudulent "studies" that don't really enlighten anyone?
mpfenton

Postby squirm » Fri Apr 08, 2005 4:55 pm

Pressplay never made it. Napster will never make it either.
squirm

Postby pimptaddy » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:08 pm

napster is a joke.. this article is a joke.. bottom line,, most want free stuff..... napster and other pay sites are not a factor.....
pimptaddy

Postby SlyckChuck » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:30 pm

The article is not a joke. Tom is showing how the industry propaganda is starting make people believe they are winning and people are always paying for music. The only way I will pay for music now is either ebay or garage sales/pawn shops. Those pay sites are pure rubbish. A buck a song, or rent a tune, phooey! P2p will always be an option.
SlyckChuck

Postby Adrian » Fri Apr 08, 2005 6:36 pm

Havent these ppl heard of data back-up? Every song and stuff I download, I burn it just incase if it deletes or something... that's preety n00bish thing to do (Not backing up your data I mean)
Adrian

Postby Wham » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:02 pm

You are 100% right Adrian071, but people are in a hurry. Everything you do that makes sence has time consumption imposed on it. I never could figure out what the hurry is. I guess people must hurry so they can have time to wait. Ha.
Wham

Postby Adrian » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:07 pm

Lol, nice one... Well, new comps are coming out with even faster burners, and what do the ppl do while they play the file? NOTHING!!! they can be burning it while they are doing what they do (Like you said) waiting!!!
Adrian

Postby mp3thief » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:23 pm

may be a stupid question, but i don't burn to audio discs. but unless you burn as audio, then the drm would stay on the file, no?

screw it...doesn't really matter

at least there's this site for now.
mp3thief

Postby Isaac@Isaac » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:38 pm

Honestly though they have to be pretty stupid to expect alot of people to be keen on the idea of their music disapearing once they cancel the survice. Shit, I would never do that even if I did consider paying for music. Its all a trap to get the ignorant and the lazy to pay them money. :roll:
Isaac@Isaac

Postby raar » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:52 am

Isaac@Isaac wrote:Its all a trap to get the ignorant and the lazy to pay them money. :roll:

That is exactly what most of the onslaught of p2p/pay users are. They are new to their computers and downloading. They are ignorant to the fact that there are free downloading services and most are computer illiterate to start off with, so these are the ones that end up paying. They are too lazy to learn, so they skip the free p2p apps and go to sites that just do it for them, without reading the fine print. Then they come to sites like this asking, "where did all my music go?"

I know I was ignorant my first time around on Napster. I was in the forums all the time asking this and that. But it was cool learning all that new stuff and here I am, along with you guys.

They'll all live and learn. The hard way albeit.
raar

Postby Christopher » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:49 pm

I would be glad to pay on a song-per-song basis with one caveat. I could listen to the whole song, one time, and then decide whether to buy the song. I have listened to some songs that I think are cr** after 30 second demos of them, but once I listen to the whole song I think "Wow, this is a great song! Where can I get this?"
Christopher

Postby Drake » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:12 pm

Christopher wrote: I have listened to some songs that I think are cr** after 30 second demos of them, but once I listen to the whole song I think "Wow, this is a great song! Where can I get this?"

I'll tell you where. Gnutella, Ares, ed2k, DC...and if you get it on one of these networks it won't come with any DRM.

But if a service would offer the ability to preview the whole song and not incorporate DRM then it could possible attract a whole new crowd.
Drake

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:21 pm

Drake wrote:But if a service would offer the ability to preview the whole song and not incorporate DRM then it could possible attract a whole new crowd.

Assuming they were willing to lower the prices.
It should be cheaper to buy online.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby countrypirate » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:24 pm

GIVE ME FREE STUFF :D :twisted:
countrypirate

Return to Slyck News