Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Ares Connection Problem

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Ares Connection Problem

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:13 pm

The Ares Galaxy network has quickly become a favorite among those looking for a quick MP3. Ares Galaxy has many advantages to its name; resourceful pool of files, few corrupt or false files and no forced adware/spyware.

However, the last few months have proved challenging to the Ares Galaxy network. Because of various problems with other segments of the network, connecting to this community has become difficult. The developer of Ares, Alberto Treves, has been releasing new versions on a near weekly basis to repair the ailing network.

Those keeping up with the updates have relatively little in the way of connecting to the Ares network. However, those still utilizing older versions of the software have been frustrated with the inability to connect. While Slyck tries to avoid duplicating stories, with the sheer inundation of emails and “Guide Updates” it has become apparent this situation continues to plague a tremendous amount of individuals. For example, in the course of 5 hours, we received the following “Guide Updates.”

<i>I dont know Why I can't connect to Ares. I have been many days like this and really I need Ares, please someone help me!!!

Ares cannot connect I am on DSL and this never happened befor!!!11

Why cant I connect sorta been like this for days now

Im behind the internet and cannot connect to ares what is happening?

Where is the ares network because my program wont connect.</i>

In an effort to address all these concerns, we urge those having difficulty to update the Ares software. This simple act of upgrading the Ares software should rectify any problems.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby ToM » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:28 pm

Or, a conspiracy theorist could claim that Alberto Treves wanted the morons responsible for the quotes in this story off his network.

I sure as hell can't blame him!
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:30 pm

Heh...not a bad filter system...
SlyckTom

Postby OhMyGod » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:41 pm

On Ares Lite Edition it sometimes takes up to 10 minutes to connect on the lattest version but it always does connect each time, however KCeasy will connect within a few seconds or maybe just a minute.
Why does KCeasy have less of a problem connecting to Ares than Ares Lite Edition does :?:

Thanks.
OhMyGod

Postby WitchHunterRobin » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:49 pm

Probably because the Ares Lite edition is very flawed and buggy, and may have been discontinued. The file size on the web page (http://www.aresgalaxy.org) says 916Kb, though the file size is actually larger. I think it also contains features that were only available in the regular Ares edition, like the web browser. (It may have changed though since the last time I downloaded it though.)
WitchHunterRobin

Postby tm, » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:32 pm

I would certainly think that Alberto learned his lesson with attempting to make network changes on-the-fly and using existing users as beta-testers - if not guinea pigs. Kevin Hearn made a long series of changes to the WinMX network protocol in 2002 - however the changes were tried out first on a beta test client which sometimes connected to a completely separate network. As a result, the existing WinMX users were unaffected by the 'test' network.

The problems with Ares were never really serious, in my experience. In an attempt to simulate the problems that users were often complaining about, I had repeatedly tried to do everything wrong that I could think of - such as running the Ares Connection Fixer on new Ares versions that were not supported. I found that running the Fixer never caused a permanent problem on any version. Manually deleting the Ares registry entries, then installing and running Ares would also fix any connection problem. In short, I was never able to get myself into a situation that I could not easily fix. Ares would often be slow to connect, but it would always eventually come through.

One thing that we could do to try to help out Ares users is to keep a current node list posted - by using the Ares Node Extractor. This application did not run for me, but maybe other people have had luck with it.

One persistent and more puzzling connection problem has been the one experienced by Filetopia users the last few weeks - as many reported being unable to log on, as well as being unable to open a new account under a new username. Since Slyck's Filetopia network statistics hardly show any drop in users, we can assume that this connection problem has been experienced by relatively few users. I myself have had Filetopia installed for a long time, and found myself suddenly locked out after reading about the experiences of other users. Maybe, in a sense, this sudden lockout might actually be a sign of some degree of active development - since Filetopia seems to have been stuck in a state of suspended animation for almost two and a half years.

Unlike Ares, Filetopia is a central-server network, so the connection problems are likely to be completely dissimilar. This show-stopper certainly deserves some investigation - Filetopia has always been one of my favorite P2Ps.
tm,

Postby promoe » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:14 pm

I use an older version of Ares light edition....never had a problem with it. Im happy with it
promoe

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:20 pm

Change your avatar... :roll:
BigWillyStyle42

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:20 pm

I just use KCeasy! No headaches, though you need to know how to edit the ports it connects to.

What was up with the Avatar?
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Charles » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:10 pm

I think a part of the problem is that Ares always stays at version 1.8.1.. People don't realize that they have to look at build numbers to seek for updates. Ares should evolve to 2.0 then 2.1, just like its clone Warez. I wonder what is the rate of upgrade in the Ares user base compared to other P2P because of the lack of higher version numbers? Users usually care about higher versions of software, rightfully or not.
Multinetwork apps are good for making every network they connect to less efficient. I think I hate them ;)
Charles

Postby TZion » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:48 pm

Warez P2P connects in seconds, finds more sources and downloads faster, its obvious theres something wrong with Ares, but Warez is just fine !
In my opinion Warez always fixes those problems Ares has, same client but no problems and a bit more polished look !

Spyware, well uncheck two boxes, OMG, magic nothing extra was installed ... Still theres that banner :( , but for those there are hacks :)
TZion

Postby OhMyGod » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:59 pm

I just installed FileCroc another Ares clone and it also connects in seconds, then I install Ares Regular Edition (new version)and it took about 15 minutes to connect because I agree it has something to do with Ares not the Ares/Warez Network because KCeasy also connects to the Ares network in seconds.

Thanks. 8)
OhMyGod

Postby SlyckTom » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:28 pm

I just installed FileCroc another Ares clone and it also connects in seconds, then I install Ares Regular Edition (new version)and it took about 15 minutes to connect because I agree it has something to do with Ares not the Ares/Warez Network because KCeasy also connects to the Ares network in seconds.

Not necessarily. Those clients could be connecting to sub-networks, not the Ares Galaxy network.
SlyckTom

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:33 pm

Users: 718,058
Files: 167,926,268
Size: 1,280,962 GB
That would be a very large subnetwork :lol:

Is it possible; that other clients are passing on information to help other KCeasy clients connect?
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby OhMyGod » Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:58 pm

I'm getting about the same number of users as Psycho Ced does on KCeasy, but much less on FileCroc. Also when I do get Ares to connect after waiting awhile I get the about the same number of users as I do with KCeasy. If I'm am just connecting to sub-networks and not the Ares Galaxy network, does that mean that I'm connected to a less efficient part of the network? It sure doesn't seem to affect the search results or the download speeds.

Thanks. :roll:
OhMyGod

Postby lordfoul » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:10 am

Charles wrote:I think a part of the problem is that Ares always stays at version 1.8.1.. People don't realize that they have to look at build numbers to seek for updates.

This is bang on. Most people not connecting are not running the newest build, which 9/10 times will solve the problem, and believe their version to be the latest.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby tm, » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:26 am

SlyckTom wrote:

Not necessarily. Those clients could be connecting to sub-networks, not the Ares Galaxy network.

Ares connects through a list of Ares supernodes stored in the registry under Software/Ares. FileCroc (and I assume Warez P2P also) has its own registry listing of connect nodes, and can be installed on the same computer as Ares without affecting the Ares settings.

Over the last several weeks, there have been a series of changes to the Ares/Filecroc network protocols that have rendered previous versions incompatible. When Ares users were first locked out, installing and using an older (non-spyware) version of FileCroc worked, but within a few weeks it too stopped connecting.

The fact that these sweeping changes all occurred under the official published version number of "1.81" - the same number Ares has been "stuck at" for many months with no indication of build number - only adds to the confusion.

Although Ares is, in general, a very easy-to-use P2P client, Alberto Treves has been throwning everyone curve balls (if not spitballs) in this never-ending series of shutouts.
tm,

Re: Ares Connection Problem

Postby LANjackal » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:38 am

SlyckTom wrote:Those keeping up with the updates have relatively little in the way of connecting to the Ares network.

Actually, I've upgraded my Ares software several times, and while the time taken to connect to the network has decreased, download performance has fallen. Even files with many sources fail to download or become locked in long queues. Uploading is practically infeasible because of the horribly long time it takes to hash files, and apparently Ares won't upload unless the library is completely hashed. I don't think this is because my files are unwanted on the network, because I upload almost by default on every other network I use (see list of P2P programs I use in my profile). All these difficulties are probably just growing pains, and with the development work constantly underway, Ares is likely to overcome them soon.

PS: In my opinion, the most effective searchable P2P network in existence is Gnutella, and the best client for it Limewire.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Everlast » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:36 am

I've had Ares for a very long time, I havent had the connection problems everyone else seems to have.

But I continually download new builds and I use Original Ares, not Ares lite. But I'm going to try Warez P2P soon cause they have a new version out.

:D
Ares Galaxy forum maintainer/columnist.

Sure, there have been injuries and deaths in boxing, but none have been serious.
- Boxer Alan Minter
Everlast

Postby thejynxed » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:16 am

Warez P2P..now with new and improved spyware! *cackle* Ares/Warez, the next-generation Kazaa.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby Skel » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:49 pm

Those quotes were great tom... wonder whats up with the network hmm i only have used it a few times tho :/
The Few The proud the Filetopians
http://www.filetopia.com
[Avatar removed - please resize to be 100px wide max]
Image removed - No graphics in sigs please! - HC
Forum Rules
Skel

Postby Allied » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:46 pm

I've never had any toruble connectiong with Ares Lite 1.81. It always connects within a few seconds of starting it.
I guess I'm a minority tho.
Good luck to Alberto Treves.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby no_dammagE » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:10 pm

Maybe make an experiment?
Export the key from the registry containing peer lists ares will try to connect to if your client connects within seconds and let others try them.
It just could be that Ares' peercache doesn't provide IPs which are still alive...
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

hmm

Postby lala » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:51 pm

yeah, so i cant connect on any of those. i've downloaded ares, warez, kceasy..

i get nothing.
:(
lala

Return to Slyck News