Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Media Metrix Depicts Rapid Kazaa Decline

Discuss Slyck's latest news
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Media Metrix Depicts Rapid Kazaa Decline

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:00 am

Since June 26, 2003, the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) has maintained a staunch campaign to rid the Internet of mainstream file-sharing. The results of this campaign have been a decidedly mixed bag. While CD shipments are up, the number of overall units shipped in 2004 is still down 21% since 1999. In addition, fewer albums were sold in 2004 compared with 1999.

Although sales are still shakey, the RIAA’s plight against mainstream P2P has shown some success. The FastTrack network, fronted by Kazaa, Grokster and iMesh has suffered tremendously as this network’s population has fallen by more than half. According to Slyck’s network statistics for FastTrack, this network reached its peak of 4.4 million users in April of 2003 – two month before the RIAA’s crusade. Since that time, it has maintained a steady decline to an average of only 2.3 million last month. The persistence of RIAA lawsuits, the effects of file pollution and the pervasiveness of spyware have all assisted in this fall from grace.

While the RIAA has been successful against FastTrack, the MPAA (Motion Picture Association of America) has waged its own campaign. However, instead of attacking the dying FastTrack network, the MPAA instead opted to thwart the BitTorrent community. The MPAA has been successful against many larger Torrent sites – either through lawsuits or intimidation tactics. Since the MPAA began its legal recourse in December of 2004, BitTorrent has seen the fall of SuprNova, Loki Torrent, Youceff Torrents, Phoenix Torrents, and many others. Despite this success, many smaller Torrent sites appear to have taken up much of the slack.

Because of the legal pressure applied to Kazaa, there appears to be a significant decline in the amount of traffic Kazaa Media Desktop’s homepage is receiving. According to Media Metrix’s latest research, the percentage of individuals visiting KMD has fallen by 71% since February of 2004 (the research did not study upload or download traffic.) Visitors to Kazaa Lite’s homepage have also fallen significantly, as Media Metrix estimate’s their traffic has fallen by 40%. Interestingly, despite no significant changes to WinMX in over 3 years, the amount of traffic to this network’s homepage has only fallen by a marginal 3%.

Conversely, it appears Gnutella is experiencing a growth unparalleled by many other networks. Traffic to the LimeWire and BearShare websites have increased by 1876% and 29% respectively. LimeWire has received the lion share of traffic, thanks to its open source and no-spyware policy. Supporting this growth, according to Slyck’s Gnutella statistics, the population of this network has grown from a quarter million in early 2004 to nearly 1.5 million in March of 2005. Although a mainstream network, Gnutella has significantly fewer polluted files, greater protection from the RIAA’s prying eyes, and an acceptable reputation in the P2P community.

It is interesting to note, there is no mention of the eDonkey2000 network, which continues to grow unabated. According to Slyck’s network statistics, eDonkey2000 has grown from an average of a half million users in January of 2003, to over 3 million user in March 2005 – with no slow down in sight.
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby Drake » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:26 am

I bet you $1000 in monopoly money that Marty Lafferty will dispute these statistics and claim there is evidence that FastTrack's userbase has not declined. :)
Drake

Postby tomy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:19 am

What a stupid research. What is more significant, the number of visitors to kazaa.com or the number of connected users? You can see the number of FT users here at slyck. At least if they couldve said something about the number of downloads.

Whats media metrix btw?
tomy

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:48 am

What a stupid research. What is more significant, the number of visitors to kazaa.com or the number of connected users? You can see the number of FT users here at slyck. At least if they couldve said something about the number of downloads.

I totally disagree. I think the research shows something that looking at network stats do not - that fewer people are even going to Kazaa's website to download the software.

Whats media metrix btw?

Did you ask google? :wink:
SlyckTom

Postby SlyckScratch » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:26 pm

SlyckTom wrote: I totally disagree. I think the research shows something that looking at network stats do not - that fewer people are even going to Kazaa's website to download the software.

People are much better informed than they were a year or two ago.

Education and the demise of this network are IMO, undoubtedly linked.
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby tomy » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:19 pm

I think the research shows something that looking at network stats do not - that fewer people are even going to Kazaa's website to download the software.

You cannont tell fewer people are downloading kazaa just like that, you have to look at Downloads: Last Week : 939,448 and compare with previous weeks. What i mean: your stats are useful, number of downloads are useful; media matrix blah, blah, blah
Did you ask google? :wink:

I sure did, but i wanted like a more personal answer. :wink:
tomy

Postby SlyckTom » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:49 pm

Kazaa isnt listed on Download.com!
SlyckTom

Postby thejynxed » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:09 pm

Good Riddance.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby Wham » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:54 pm

I agree that the Kazza is headed down and will continue on that path. All one has to do is read some of the past posts on this formum. Nobody, but nobody reccommends the use of Kazza. A P2P program or site gets more of its customers by the reccommendations from friends while off line in my opinion anyway. Reputation is key. If you have a program that deliberately sends you spyware, adware and things that cause your computer to crash the word gets out eventually and nobody will use such a program unless they are desperate.
Wham

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:30 pm

The only thing thats kept Kazaa going is a steady stream of new users as people usually seek something better and drop Kazaa after a bit of downloading fake files. Its kinda been an even % of people dropping Kazaa and new people joining FT, thats changing fast. If no one ever stopped using Kazaa it would have 500 million users now.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby OhMyGod » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:05 pm

SlyckTom wrote:Kazaa isnt listed on Download.com!

Kazaa was removed from download.com awhile back when everyone started complaining about how bad the spyware had become and for the fact that Kazaa "Sherman Networks" lied about the program saying that it had no spyware. That didn't go to well on download.com. But it is good to see how popular LimeWire has become. It is my favorite file sharing program besides BitTorrent and is one of the best. People are starting to weise up about Kazaa and the FastTrack Network. Besides of all of the spyware and adware in Kazaa, you take a great chance on downloading a virus and many fake files. You can get fake files on any Network, but Fastrack is completely infected with them.

Thanks. 8)
OhMyGod

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:55 pm

OhMyGod wrote:
SlyckTom wrote:Kazaa isnt listed on Download.com!

Kazaa was removed from download.com awhile back when everyone started complaining about how bad the spyware had become and for the fact that Kazaa "Sherman Networks" lied about the program saying that it had no spyware. That didn't go to well on download.com.

Michael Ingram wrote:Traditionally, Sharman has used Download.com to distribute new versions of KMD. Results from download.com helped to substantiate claims that Kazaa Media Desktop is the most downloaded program ever.

However, users hunting for the latest release of Kazaa at Download.com will be disappointed. Download.com has replaced the KMD download page with a message informing users that the program, at the request of Sharman, can now only be downloaded from the official KMD website.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:59 pm

FYI: you can see how much times Kazaa was dled last week by checking their website. Right now it says 939 448 for last week.

But is kazaa.com a reliable site to tell us the # of downloads per week? I doubt it. :wink:
Multinetwork apps are good for making every network they connect to less efficient. I think I hate them ;)
Charles

Postby flyingrhino » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:12 am

I've switched from k-lite to shareaza about 2 years ago and have never looked back.
good on you G1/G2
This text is copylifted. Download it, copy it, share it ....
Non sharing of this content will be deemed infringement and will be dealt with to
the maximum extent of the lore. Arrrr.
flyingrhino

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:24 am

(all) FastTrack 2,485,151 users

I remeber when slyck had Imesh stats and kazaa stats and both were very high.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby tsafa » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:27 am

One aspect that everyone is ignoring is that Kazaa has not made any real progress for years now. In the meantime Limewire has been continualy breaking into new areas of development. The recent work the did to help people with firewalls is one example. I think the lack of progress at Kazaa is the main reason for their decline. People seem willingto run the risk of law suits if they have a good reason.
"With 2000 years of examples behind us we have no excuse when fighting, for not fighting well."

T. E. Lawrence

http://mysite.verizon.net/tsafa1/swordreview.htm

http://mysite.verizon.net/tsafa1/workout.htm
tsafa

Re: Media Metrix Depicts Rapid Kazaa Decline

Postby mpfenton » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:40 am

SlyckTom wrote:The FastTrack network, fronted by Kazaa, Grokster and iMesh has suffered tremendously as this network’s population has fallen by more than half.

The population has fallen, but not necessarily because of the RIAA. It could simply be that most people have finished downloading what they want. :D
mpfenton

Postby Trev0r269 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:59 am

Around here there are many p2p n00bs (we all were once), and some people who know whats up. At least the n00bs just know enough to stay away from Kazaa and use Ares. Its kind of like when you're a small child and you don't do things because they are "bad", even though you don't know why. As far as I'm concerned, that attitude is ok with kazaa.
Trev0r269

Postby tm, » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:29 am

Well written story.

SlyckTom wrote: Gnutella has ... greater protection from the RIAA’s prying eyes.

I just wanted to point out that although much less-monitored than Fasttrack, the Gnutella network's most popular client, Limewire, does not appear to offer any way to restrict or disable shared-folder browsing, a critical security feature these days. Considering Limewire's ongoing development, the lack of such an important feature would seem like a huge oversight, as many modern P2P clients now have creative browse/antibrowse defense mechanisms in place such as features that can allow users to either limit the size of browse lists, use a browsable/nonbrowsable shared folder pair, use a public/friends folder pair, use editable(semibogus) browse lists, or simply disable browsing of shared files entirely.

Of course, whether people will actually use these security features properly is another matter; there is the fool-proof approach of omitting browse functionality, as KCeasy offers, demonstrating that sometimes the best feature is the lack of a feature.
tm,

Postby Harltey » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:25 am

All this hype about Limewire - Does it have anything you can't find on Emule ?
Harltey

Postby Charles » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:31 am

Harltey wrote:All this hype about Limewire - Does it have anything you can't find on Emule ?

No. Emule has much larger selection. However, LW's philosophy is to get the content available fast for users that aren't 24/24 on the network. It would work much better if some clients (shareaza) weren't sending non downloadable results :roll:
Multinetwork apps are good for making every network they connect to less efficient. I think I hate them ;)
Charles

Postby Ya Ma Yee » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:55 am

Harltey wrote:All this hype about Limewire - Does it have anything you can't find on Emule ?
I would say it is very useful for popular song or video downloads. It doesn't have the painful ques from emule and sometimes you can get a decent quality movie from it.
Ya Ma Yee

Postby thejynxed » Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:41 pm

Yeah, Shareaza is bunk. When I use eMule my client is constantly banning Shareaza clients for sending bad data or too many requests at once or for other nonsense. I have little experience with Limewire, after their spyware fiasco awhile back, and yes, alot of anti-spyware sites still report Limewire as being spyware ridden. Apparently though that was because of 3rd parties taking Limewire and repacking it with spyware apps.
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby Psycho Ced » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:18 pm

tm wrote:Well written story.

SlyckTom wrote: Gnutella has ... greater protection from the RIAA’s prying eyes.

Limewire, does not appear to offer any way to restrict or disable shared-folder browsing, a critical security feature these days. Considering Limewire's ongoing development, the lack of such an important feature would seem like a huge oversight, as many modern P2P clients now have creative browse/antibrowse defense mechanisms in place such as features that can allow users to either limit the size of browse lists, use a browsable/nonbrowsable shared folder pair, use a public/friends folder pair, use editable(semibogus) browse lists, or simply disable browsing of shared files entirely.

Of course, whether people will actually use these security features properly is another matter; there is the fool-proof approach of omitting browse functionality, as KCeasy offers, demonstrating that sometimes the best feature is the lack of a feature.

Good points!

It is funny how people keep bringing up shareaza when most multinetwork clients contain many flaws.
I think the best working multinetwork client is KCeasy. Though it probably helps boost the FastTrack numbers.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby gregorio » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:14 pm

tm wrote:Well written story.
I just wanted to point out that although much less-monitored than Fasttrack, the Gnutella network's most popular client, Limewire, does not appear to offer any way to restrict or disable shared-folder browsing, a critical security feature these days.

Except there are like a hundred ways in Gnutella to browse your complete shares without using the regular browse-host feature. It's mostly because Gnutella was meant to enable users to search for your files - well I believe LimeWire could add an option to disable sharing...
LimeWire 4.13 is out. Don't miss it!
gregorio

Next

Return to Slyck News