Slyck Chatbox - And More

new user - some questions

Discussion about the WinMX program/network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Shareofcourse » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:49 am

hi all
1. is there a way to set up multiple log ins for winmx and if so how do you do it? reason for asking would like a log in to share non-adult files and a log in to share the adult ones.
2. I have a cable connection but due to lan and @#^#^# XP service pak 2 with the firewall cannot seem to set up a primary connection. Some help would be greatly appreciated.
3. an easy way to block the hogs (ppl who want your whole 20+gigs and wont share a damm thing.)
Thanks in advance.
Shareofcourse

Postby Nessmaster » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:59 am

I can only give an answer to # 3, but I'm sure DaBalde is better at this then me. Anyway to answer Question # 3, is pretty simple. Get MX Monitor, I think you can get one at http://www.vladd44.com , you will also find some other info on WinMX and it's use.
Nessmaster

Postby Shareofcourse » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:47 am

Thanks, have just gotten it and will get it up and running, appreciate the help.
Shareofcourse

Postby Solomon » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:38 pm

1] No there isnt, at least not yet. Future versions, currently in beta, allow you more contol over your shared files, so you can quickly share/unshare them.

2] You need to have the ports open to make a Primary. Allow MX acces through firewalls and routers, and uninstalling SP2 will really help. If you cant do these things, then you wont make Primary.

3] Try Mx Moni, LeecHammer or MX Linx. My vote goes to Moni.

Try posing at http://www.smittystavern.com/winmx also. ;)
Solomon

Re: new user - some questions

Postby iNaNimAtE » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:24 pm

Shareofcourse wrote:1. is there a way to set up multiple log ins for winmx and if so how do you do it? reason for asking would like a log in to share non-adult files and a log in to share the adult ones.

Yes there is: Two WinMX installs. Each one can have its own configuration files. If you are using Windows 2000/XP, and are using an NTFS parition, you can set special permissions to the "adult" WinMX binary so only your specific user account on that computer can use it.

Good enough?
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Shareofcourse

Postby Shareofcourse » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:16 pm

thank you all for your help, one further question, a suggestion was made to use NTFS on my HD I have a 160gig and a 40gig they are both WD Caviar series, I am currently running xp home with all updates incl. the infamous "SP2" which has crashed my gnutella completely. How do I go from Fat32 to NTFS with both drives in use and would a second installation of WinMX on the other drive give me two different log-ins? It is currently running on the 40gig and storage for WinXP d/l is there.
Thanks again for all the help for a newbie.
Shareofcourse

Postby red duck » Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:24 pm

this is the place i_s(slyck master spammer) linked to on a similar question
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby Solomon » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:26 pm

Thinking about it, you could just use Fast User Switching. Create a new login, and install WinMX to a different folder, winmx2 for example. Make sure your shortcuts point to the correct executable, and set up the shared files correctly.

You could even run both copies of WinMX simultaneously.
Solomon

Return to WinMX