Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Slyck Forums FAQ Part 2

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Slyck Forums FAQ Part 2

Postby j_dogg » Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:00 am

I've decided to make a new thread for this second part so it can be more organised.

I think we have a fair idea of what queations will be asked and answerwed. We will concerntrate on answering these for now, once the FAQ is complete then more can always be added. Maybe Ray would like to turn it into an updateable guide like the Newsgroups and Spy/Adware removal guide are.

Here is the list of Questions...

1. Which is the best p2p app? Which is the best p2p app for XXX type file?
- File types will fall under these catergories. Movies, Music, Software/Applications, CD images, Games, eBooks.

2. What is spyware/adware, how to remove it? (Quick definition plus links to programs)

3. Are there any real difference between free versions and pay-versions of a p2p client? (Either yes or no answer and quick list)

4. My computer is running slow how do I fix it? (Troubleshooting list with solutions)

5. What it XXX filetype and how do I open/use it? (Can mention most commonly asked for filetypes, what they are and how to open/use them)
- All files types commonly found while p2ping can be included here.

6. Why are my downloads so slow? (Troubleshooting list with solutions)

7. How do I watch this movie? (Troubleshooting list for movie porblems).
Codecs problems please.
"ooh, I can't see the titles"
"the movie plays but no sound !"
"The sound plays, but no movie !"
"the sound lags after the movie !"
"I can't forward without making a lag in the sound !"
"It says I have the codecs but the movie still won't play !"

8. Where to get 'Lite' versions of spyware infested apps? (Links, if allowed or hints on where to search).

9. What's the safest p2p app? (Can talk about supposedly anonymous p2p app's and app's like Protowall).

11. Which firewall should I use in conjunction with my p2p app?
- Please state reasons why you are recmommeding a certain firewall.

12. What is a hash link and how do I use one?

Now what I'm asking for is suggestions to answer questions. You can attempt to provide content for an answer to any of the questions above. Please state what question you are answering when posting.

After we have enough material for each Q I will take what has been presented and write up a full answer on each... If you all agree with what I've written then we'll present it to the admins for inclusion in the forum.

*Note, using links to other guides etc is perfectly acceptable when providing an answer.
j_dogg

Postby Asian Flying Cow » Fri Oct 29, 2004 9:52 pm

Gonna just copy and paste what i wrote in the other thread with some small altering, hope thats ok.

We could simply make a table like you see all the time on software websites (i.e - http://www.winamp.com/player/) ; the normal version gives you so and so, and the pro version gives you so and so. A comparison that is easy for the eye.

This is in reference to question number 1 that I took the liberty to change a bit just so to be politically correct:

1. Which is the best p2p app? Which is the best p2p app for XXX type file?
Revised: 1. Which is the best p2p app? Which p2p app is best for _____ media?

WinMX
Pros: Good selection of music has a dedicated user bank, great speeds. NO spyware.
Cons: Large waiting Queues, clumsy interface.
Media type best for: Music

Kazaa
Pros: A money maker for the IRAA.
Cons: Spyware, targeted by IRAA, dwindling userbase. Downloads are most often corrupted and or dupes.
Media type best for: Music (if you don’t get nailed)

Kazaa Lite
Pros: No spyware.
Cons: Targeted by IRAA, dwindling userbase. Downloads are most often corrupted or dupes.
Media type best for: Music (if you don’t get nailed)

LimeWire
Pros: Good selection of music has a dedicated user bank, great speeds.
Cons: Leeches CPU, gateway for malware and spyware. Many corrupted/fake downloads.

eDonkey
Pros: Great source for rare files, long lasting data base. Files are rarely corrupted. Specializes in large files and has verified downloading sites. http://www.shareconnector.com http://www.filedonkey.com
Cons: Ads. Slow downloads are not a suprise.
Media type best for: Movies, Games, CD-Images, e-Books, Software/Applications

eMule
Pros: Great source for rare files, long lasting data base. Files are rarely corrupted. Verified downloading sites. Has a nicely built GUI. Easy to use.
Cons: Slow downloads are not surprising.
Media type best for: Movies, Games, CD-Images, e-Books, Software/Applications

Bittorrent
Pros: Maxing out your download speed is a common occurrence. Specializes in large files. Has verified download sites. http://www.suprnova.org, http://www.torrentbits.org
Cons: Files and releases disappear fast. You better get to that Movie before tracker goes down/files TTL (Time To Live) runs out. Don't come here looking for Titanic.
Media type best for: Movies, Games, CD-Images, Commercial Software and Applications.

SoulSeek
Pros: Specializes in rare and old songs.
Cons: Long Queues. Donate for less waiting time/priority.

IRC
Pros: Fast Download speeds. Has any file you could probably ever want.
Cons: Steep learning curve. Not the best p2p to start out on.
Media type best for: Movies, Games, CD-Images, Commercial Software/Applications

DC++
Pros: Insane download speeds. A limitless amount of pubs. Fairly easy to configure and work. Best used for large volume transfer, although small files exist in plenty.
Cons: Most pubs demand a certain amount of data to share. If you dont have 5-10 GB to share at the least, dont bother.
Media type best for: Movies, Games, CD-Images

Shareaza
Pros: Connects between three of the most popular networks. eD2K, Bittorent, and Gnutella. Has all their attributes and speeds.
Cons: I cant think of any cons at the moment.
Media type best for: Movies, Music, Games, CD-Images, e-Books, Software/Applications

Programs i have excluded due to - not remembering/no experience are: iMesh, Grokster, Overnet, MP2P - Piolet, Blubster, Rockitnet, DC, Gnucleus, XoloX, Bearshare, Morpheus

Hope that is good and covers well the information supplied. Comment on it j_dogg if its missing anything. On to the next question.
Sensation White - A way of life.
Asian Flying Cow

Postby j_dogg » Fri Oct 29, 2004 10:40 pm

I agree with most of what you've sadi there AFC. However I think maybe we should list the main p2p networks instead of clients. Say what types of media are abundant on network, the pros and cons and then have a line saying what clients can beused to connect to it. The clients could be linked to the corresponding information page int he SLyck's List of File-Sharing Programs and Utilities. How does that sound?

Also for some networks, like FastTrack for instance, now days it seems that it's main media type would be pron, not music.
Overall though it's a very good list and an excellent step to helping us provide a great answer, thank you.

Would really like to see some more input here people. The better we do this now the more time we save in the future having to repeat the same information over and over again.
j_dogg

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:44 am

or.... we could try to merge that with this.
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Slyck Forums FAQ Part 2

Postby SlyckChuck » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:42 am

IMHO best this or these type of questions for part 1 & 2 should be made into an open ended guide in the new area. That way if a person has a similar question one can direct that person to one URL. 8)
SlyckChuck

Postby TDO » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:47 am

OR, and - keep in mind this is just a suggestion, it could be done the PROPER way, like a faq is REALLY done, all useless chatter is deleted and only yhe questions & answers remain, hmm, maybe even a big, red link somewhere so that nobody has the excuse "but I didn't see it!" .. who knows :).

Just a "testing balloon" :).
TDO

Postby j_dogg » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:02 am

Yes it will need to stand out so it's not missed. But we'll come to that once the FAQ is finished. I'm sure Ray will be able to intergrate it succesfully.

Not quite sure what TD0 and I_s saying there, but I think this should be a new thing. Sure there can be links to current guides for further reading, but if we put the information right there, in 1 place and make it to the point then its going to be more successful IMO.

I'm off to work on a good answer for the Spyware question.
Please keep answers to the questions coming...
j_dogg

Postby TDO » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:38 am

"Please keep answers to the questions coming"

I'm on a passive-practicioner stance towards this faq :), I suggested the idea - and so I've done my sahre :) muahaha.

Anyway, what I meant is that besides merging this with part 1 perhapes some messages should be deleted (50%) .. but since it's not a finished product perhapes they shouldn't be .. now that I think about it :).
TDO

Postby j_dogg » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:10 am

2. What is spyware/adware, how to remove it?

Adware is any program that displays an ad while running. P2P developers sometimes include a banner ad in their clients to produce revenue. These ad's have no adverse effects on your computer, save using up minimal bandwidth when reloading.
There is two ways to remove banner ads...
1. Isolate the i.p address of the server the ad's are being hosted on then block it using your HOSTS file. This will cause a blank box to be displayed instead of the ad. Using an i.p blocker such as Protowall or PeerGuardian with an anti-ad blocklist will have the same effect.
2. Find a modified version fo the client which does not contain any ads, or if possible use a completely different client that connects to the same network.

Spware is a type of program that installs secretly on your computer, usually it gathers information and tracks your activities. Most commercial p2p developers bundle spyware with their clients, during the setup process it installs unnoticed in the background. It then reports back to its creator and the information is used for advertising purposes such as targeted pop-ups on your computer. As well as invading your privacy spyware programs can be poorly written and can cause you computer to become quite slow.
A list of Spyware removers can be found here. The two most popular being Spybot - Search and Destroy and Ad-ware. For a comprehensive guide to removing Spyware, see here.

Note that some p2p apps such as Ares and eDonkey contain opt out spyware in the installer, you can safely install these programs if you make sure you uncheck any boxes which related to intalling the spyware.
And remember there is a great range of Malware free p2p clients out there, most of them out performing Spyware laden applications. For a full list of p2p applications, with links to extended information on them including if they contain any forms of spyware, see here.

...Hope it's not too long winded, tried to make i as to the point as possible without missing out anythign important. Based my definitions of the ones found in Slycks Fuile Sharing Dictionary. What do you think, FAQ worthy?

Also TD0, the actual FAQ isn't going to be apart of either this thread or the first thread, these threads are just in place for the planning and creation of the FAQ. It'll be posted as a seperate .php page once it's all completed and we submit it to Ray.
j_dogg

Postby TDO » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:15 am

Yo J, you got me all confused with :

"the actual FAQ isn't going to be apart of either this thread or the first thread"

And

"It'll be posted as a seperate .php page once it's all completed "

But then again, have you been drinking ? :).
TDO

Postby j_dogg » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:21 am

Ain't touched a drop all weekend...

When you posted it sounded like you though that this thead was going to contain the final FAQ. What we are doing here is liek a draft, getting users to submit answers and finalise everyhting.
Once that is all done then I'll submit it to Ray and it'll beocme like one of the guides, hopefully showing up when new users sign up, and as a visible link in other parts of Slyck.
You see what I'm saying now?
j_dogg

Postby TDO » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:53 am

Yup, I can see clearly now the rain is gone, hmmm, perhapes I was the one doing the drinking :).
TDO

Postby Mr. Alzheimer » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:13 am

j_dogg wrote:If you'd like to answer one of more of the questions we've choosen though, that would be most welcome.

Maybe later. Giving a decent answer to any of the questions would require quite a lot of research from me. I'm waiting a little longer to see if someone more suitable than me answers to the questions, or someone suggests a question about something I really know about.

As for the legal issue, I still believe cracks to be legal, but better safe than sorry, eh?
Mr. Alzheimer

Postby j_dogg » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:54 am

Don't not answer because you think someone else will out do you. Any contribution is welcome...
j_dogg

Postby j_dogg » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:06 am

So much for a community effort guys. I'd really like to see some more input here, we only have two questions anserwed, if this is gogin to be done properly I need you to contribute.

3. Are there any real difference between free versions and pay-versions of a p2p client

There is a difference, but for most apps it is insignificant. The majority of Companies/Groups selling a Pro version of their p2p software simply remove any bundled applications (Spyware) that comes with the Free version.
Little tweaks might also be made such as in Limewire Pro, a higher number of UltraPeers can be conected to. You definately won't experince the 'Amazingly increased speeds' that a lot offer.
If you believe the company is legit, and feel 'Going Pro' is worth it simply to make a contribution to them, your choice, but in reality you won't be seeing many performance improvements.
j_dogg

Postby j_dogg » Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:20 am

This FAQ is going the way of WinMX4. I'm extramemly busy with my job atm. Will ad to it when I remmeber to and have free time. But where is the conritution guys? There was a lot of support for this when it first icked off. All talk and no action ay?
j_dogg

Postby johngalt » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:28 am

I came here like all of 6 times since you posted this.

let me look around some and contribute what little I can.

Also, I have a lot more time on my hands again so I can contribute in other ways as well (but I don't sub as a personal masseuse, sorry).

I am I.
johngalt

Postby red duck » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:45 am

john wrote:Also, I have a lot more time on my hands again

translation to english: expect sh!tload of spam
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby johngalt » Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:59 am

read my other post duckie - I need 600 posts to break the top 10 again - ain't happening.

I am I.
johngalt

Postby NY_Girl » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:59 pm

I would like to address Question #5
What should be used for opening files.

I personally use Winzip and Winrar for everything that I need to zip or open. I find that they are very good and serve the purpose quite efficently.

As for sending larger files once zipped I use YouSendIt. It is a great site for sending files and I have never had a problem. the link is http://www.yousendit.com

NY_Girl
NY_Girl

Return to Tell us what you think