Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Operating Your Hub (Guide)

Discussion about the DirectConnect program and network
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Operating Your Hub (Guide)

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:10 am

Due to the overwhelming emails and PM's on DC++, I decided to create a guide on how to operate a hub. The guide illustrated will be using Yhub since it is the most user-friendly. If you understand the the basics of Yhub you can easily use the more-advanced hub software, here is a small list of other hub software. You can go to No-IP to set up a static or dynamic IP for free. If you have a dynamic IP, you can download a free dynamic DNS update client here.

1: The hub will start serving as soon as you start the application.
2: Asks you to if you are sure you want to close the hub or not.
3: If checked, no one else will be able to connect until you uncheck it.
4: If checked, it will auto-update your settings as you apply them.

1: Choose the maximum number of people you would like to join your hub. If you have a slow connection, a lesser number is recommended.
2: Choose which port you would like to serve your hub on, 411 is the default. (*note* If you have a router you will need to forward the port you choose, this site may help you.) In case your primary port is in use check the "2nd Port" option & it will connect to the second port you specify.
3: Choose any descriptive title you like & a warm welcome to new members.
4: The share limit is specified in Gigabytes only. If you wish to remove the limit, then set it to 0. This is pretty self-explanatory.
5: If anyone doesn't meet your requirements you could redirect them to another hub (if you have permission.)
6: The MOTD is another welcome message stating anything you like (ie: rules/limits/etc.), it can be found in the "texts" folder of yhub's parent folder. Do not use public registration if you wish it to be a private hub. Check the registered users only if you wish it to be a private hub. The rest is self-explanatory.

This is where you can edit or view the different type of profiles. Namereg has the least amount of right (by default) whereas Operaters & Masters have the most control. It is best if you tweak these options yourself, although they can be fine as-is.

1: Enter which level of rights you wish to give.
2: Enter the owner. (this is generally yourself, but can be another OP)
3: Enter the nick & password for the user you wish to set the account for.
4: Not very important but you could enter is IP or IP pattern (if it's dynamic).
5: Good User/Bad User?

This is generally used by more advanced user and not necessary (in my opinion) for beginners.

DO NOT use this option if you wish your hub to be private. Yhub, by default has 3 hubs configured to register if you wish.

1: Check this if you wish to advertise your hub as public.
2: Your hub address (hopefully with a DNS name now) and port number. Address should look like this "hubaddress:portnumber" without the quotes.
3: Enter the description of the hub you would like to other users to see before connecting.
----------------------------------------------------

If you wish to change the Advanced Settings or have more questions about the Yhub software, please visit their official forums.
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:53 am

Excellent work U_O! :D

*sticky*
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Fowler » Fri Oct 22, 2004 4:56 am

Well done U_O, this is a fantatastic tutorial. I may even investigate yhub!!

Good work! :)
Fowler

Postby red duck » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:41 am

nice guide u_o
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby Mrs. 2p » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:47 pm

great UO!! thanks!

:D
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:27 pm

Thanks guys (and gal). I really only wrote it, so I have a link to point to when I get asked questions and in return Slyck gets more publicity. :wink:
Unbiased_Opinion

Return to DirectConnect