Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

A Message for Slyck Readers and Members

Discuss file-sharing news from other sites. Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

A Message for Slyck Readers and Members

Postby sunnyd » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:56 pm

Hey everyone!

This past week I’ve taken my first break ever in 5 ½ years since I have been doing news on Slyck. I got a lot accomplished but more importantly, I also wanted to take some time to put a few things in perspective and focus on a way to generate some positive energy here for the future of Slyck. By doing this post, I’m reaching out to our members and readers for the benefit of everyone alike.

We need your input, and without that, we’re not quite sure how to accommodate our readers more going forward with news on Slyck. What kind of news categories interest you as the readers the most, what types of news would you like to see more of, or less of? Or perhaps you’d like to see other varieties of news (not including politics and religion, of course), and we are welcoming a positive-only discussion on this.

This has been explained before, but I’ll cover it just once more. Prior to 2009, it wasn’t just newsgroups and bittorrent for file-sharing news like it most of the time now. And, there were many more Slyck contributors then with a lot of interest in file-sharing. Those days have changed, and we’ve seen numerous file-sharing sites taken off line since then, hundreds of copyright lawsuits by the music and movie industries, and many examples of scare tactics used in the “pay up or else schemes” by copyright trolls. Much of this news is the same news over and over again, just a different site, a different lawsuit, and different copyright trolls in ongoing battles as the copyright fights continue. The file-sharing scene as we knew it years ago is not the same any more, and Slyck diversified more over the years because of that. I didn’t start doing web news for Slyck until August of 2009 and in the past year when I’ve had the time available, I have really enjoyed researching and writing my own news for Slyck. I wish I had much more free time available to do that. Many Slyck contributors had already left before I joined Slyck, and many file-sharers had already begun using bittorrent and newsgroups by then, which is easily explainable in lieu of so many other sites becoming defunct. It’s a sign of the times, and it is what it is whether we like it or not.

What interested readers the most, and kept them coming back much more before, was the constant myriad of file-sharing news which existed pre-2009, including news about Grokster, Kazaa, Napster and many other sites as well. The Pirate Bay has always kept everyone’s interest, and although I wasn’t on Slyck in 2006 when TPB got raided, the news brought down the house temporarily. ;) When the main topic of interest diminished, so did active member participation, and so did the efforts of many contributors before me. Consequently, this topic of discussion is not about what Slyck once was; it’s about what Slyck is now, or what we want it to be in order to provide a more engaging environment going forward.

I haven’t changed anything on Slyck as far as posting news goes; the once favorite topic of file-sharing news content itself has changed. Prior contributors posted news in all categories just as I have been doing all this time. News varies daily in every category, and not every single story posted will generate active discussion. Technology news is always abundant right now with new innovation and gadgets all the time, and it’s perfectly reasonable that not any two readers will find every posted story interesting. We know that everyone, including us, miss SlyckTom’s contributions here, but he just spent several years in law school, and then recently passed the bar exam. It’s not possible for him to be active on Slyck right now, although I know he would like to be if he could.

We encourage comments and participation here about news content from everyone; however we’d like to reiterate that this discussion is intended to be productive and positive-only, so let’s keep it that way.

Whether or not I continue to do news for Slyck, and how much or how often, remains to be seen, and it will be based on input in the comments here in this thread. So, tell us what you think, do you enjoy reading all kinds of news on Slyck, and do you want that to continue? If so, now is the time to express that in a comment. Do you want to see any changes in news content? We’re not looking to change the structure of Slyck, but we can certainly change the news content if we feel enough people are asking for a different variety of news that warrants such a change. Members also have to realize and agree that just stopping by to read news does not foster an active environment, it takes participation from everyone, not just from those volunteering on their available free time to post or write the news. As Gordon B. Hinckley put it, “I am suggesting that as we go through life, we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort.”

:toast:

Sunny
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: A Message for Slyck Readers and Members

Postby Dazzle_2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:07 am

Your break was noticed SunnyD.

In short from your post it seems clear that Slycks is in need of more user participation, that after all is what gives the site its flavour and why we all come here.

I have seen the same change in the dynamics of the p2p userbase amongst the users of my own site and thus echo your views on the need for folks to get involved and help mould the way ahead for the sites future, the issue is how that goal is met and what to focus on to acheive that.

I am also aware that the burden for the majority of the news stories fall's on the shoulders of SunnyD, this then is something that needs resolving as its just unfair for the rest of us to sit back and let one person do all the work, many of us are more than capable of assisting her by authoring news contributions based on new or current events/technologies for her to edit and deliver to us all, I feel this is one way ahead to help out if you all want Slycks to remain the pre-eminent filesharing news resource it is for most of us.

I wont suggest direct news article posting as this can lead to some adverse or unsavoury linking but a system of support authors actually delivering fresh news or informative article based on that news or on research /innovation is what I used to enjoy from the site here, Slyck Tom spent much time gathering news for us and writing material and crafted viewpoints to go with that news to add additional value to it but we can all appreciate SunnyD cant do all that alone and I suspect her post is to remind us of that put simply.

I believe theres enough new technologies to be reported on in the P2P arena to keep the sites focus on tech and P2P as thats what this site is all about and would hesistate to introduce any "mission spread" as that may have an adverse effect on the current Slycks community in the long term, so to round off my suggestions I think we need to all look to ourselves to offer something to the site here in terms of help and articles on all of the different p2p arenas we use and make a start covering some of the newer more obscure ones and more importantly look at whats going on in the mobile phone area of file sharing as many are using such platforms instead of traditional PC based offerings and thus dont appear on our radar here at all.

Dont be shy the rest of you 8)
Dazzle_2

Postby MrFredPFL » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:37 pm

thank u for the feedback :toast:
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks, Dazzle, we appreciate your input! :toast:

Finding the news isn't really the main issue (I usually do fine with that), it's getting readers to agree that they also need to participate more just like you mentioned. It takes effort from everyone if we're going to keep things going on a regular basis. :wink: We certainly don't mind suggestions for news in any category, and that's why we're making an attempt to reach out to everyone here that wants to see Slyck continue with news on a regular basis.

Everyone is reading the news here because it's been convenient to do so, but comments are often lacking which is what we are trying to address. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby multivariable » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:53 am

my suggestion would be to make much more use of slyck's facebook page.

i don't know how the admins here decide which stories from this site make it to the slyck facebook page, but i do believe it's extremely under-utilised.

i've been "following" slyck on facebook since this site started to use that medium, and the number of slyck stories i've seen make it to my facebook newsfeed are far too few.

i suspect that some in control of this site are ambivalent at best, and antagonistic at worst, about facebook, but seriously, if you're in any way keen to see the readership of this site improve, this is what you need to do.

all it takes it a few "likes" and a few "shares" of a slyck news story that appears on facebook and you'd be amazed how many people will see it pop up in their news feed.

get with the program, guys. you might not like the idea of facebook, but over a billion people do.
multivariable

Postby sunnyd » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:16 am

Thanks for your suggestion, multi. :toast:

It's always been that only Slyck news, by Slyck writers, gets posted to our Facebook page, and not general web news that we post on the forums. That applies to the Slyck Twitter account as well. I'm not really sure whether or not Tom wants to change that, but we can mention it, and if so, then I could perhaps also post selective web news on the Facebook page just as I currently do with only the Slyck news.

When we don't have time to write news, neither get any posting activity. At the beginning of last year when I had a lot more time to write, the Facebook page was much more active and so was the Twitter feed.
sunnyd

Postby multivariable » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:23 am

jeez, if it was up to me, i'd be posting on facebook almost everything that makes it to the slyck website.

if you're gonna be a news aggregator as well as a news creator, just facebook post the lot like techcruch, or wired, or arstechnica does.
multivariable

Postby IneptVagrant » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:16 pm

I visit for copyright news/information. Most news sources either don't report, or it doesn't show up in the aggregation. And places that specialize in the topic are localized or biased. My interest in p2p lead to my interest in copyright. I believe, p2p can't (or won't continue to) exist w/o understanding the limits of copyright and stressing the grey areas. Its not the most glamorous of topics, and is often technical in nature so most people get bored with it. But in order to understand the foundations of p2p ideology, you must understand the underpinnings of copyright.

The other articles here are just filler for my day, but I enjoy the mix from many (particularly non-USA) news sources to offset the day-to-day (USA) news source(s)/ad(s) I experience passively, and their (often) bias assumptions and/or agendas. I don't have the patience to browse 5+ sites to find the 5% of articles that interest me. The reality is my purview in life is so focused I would miss 70% of the articles that show up here, which I also find interesting.

P.S. The time and effort Sunny has done for slyck is immeasurable. The detractors to Sunny's work here, need to piss off or contribute to offer a balance and actively shape the site. Its not the same atmosphere it was 6 years ago, I don't mind, but if you do, then do something about it instead of bitching and bullying others.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby sunnyd » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:46 pm

multivariable wrote:my suggestion would be to make much more use of slyck's facebook page.

Suggestion has been approved by Tom for both Facebook and Twitter, thanks again for your input, multi. :)
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:50 pm

IneptVagrant wrote:I visit for copyright news/information. Most news sources either don't report, or it doesn't show up in the aggregation.

Thanks, IneptVagrant, we appreciate that, as well as your support for wanting Slyck to continue with news.

:toast:
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:25 pm

We encourage many more of our readers to provide input here toward the news content on Slyck. Our readers/members are considered to be a valuable part of our team!
sunnyd

Postby tehdoomsayer » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:08 pm

sunny you're alive! i thought the iluminati got you or something =p

i love the types of news posted on here. i actually read more articles linked on slyck than any other one website. ever since i wandered in from shoutwire all those years ago, i haven't been able to leave.

i think us users can definitely contribute more to submitting news stories. sunny shouldn't have to do it all. the facebook and twitter suggestions are boss, and i've honestly wondered if there were more users on here who would like submitting their own stories on whatever topics they feel deserve some exposure. i'd love to, but i'm afraid my writing skills would scare more users away than they would attract people :lol:

either way... viva slyck!!
tehdoomsayer

Postby sunnyd » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:57 pm

tehdoomsayer wrote:sunny you're alive! i thought the iluminati got you or something =p

:lol: It was a well deserved break, and it was my first one in 5 1/2 years. I spent some of the time organizing the spaghetti messes of cables for all of my computer equipment, that was really important and it took a long time. :P

tehdoomsayer wrote:i love the types of news posted on here. i actually read more articles linked on slyck than any other one website. ever since i wandered in from shoutwire all those years ago, i haven't been able to leave.

We're glad to hear that, thanks! :toast:

We've (I've) always tried to provide a good mix of variety that will generate discussion as well as be informative for our readers in all categories of news, but in many instances over the past several years, people have been just reading and not really logging in to participate in discussion. This has been the case ever since the main focus of file-sharing news changed so much for all the reasons stated farther above.

While we can't accept written stories by anyone other than Slyck writers for the news submission process (you're off the hook for that tehdoomsayer :P ), we are trying to encourage feedback on certain types of news our readers enjoy the most, or would like to see more or less of. I know that some of the most bizarre stories seem to get a lot of attention, and while they may not always properly fit our specific news categories, it's possible that I can try to accommodate that a bit more if I see that people would like to see that type of news more often (a little wild news thrown in the mix??).

Thanks very much for the feedback here, and for your support of Slyck, we really appreciate it!
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:44 pm

I'd also like to mention that over the years some Slyck members have messaged me with story links to approve of/post rather than use our submission form themselves. This is fine too, and we'll always make sure proper credit is given to the one who brought it to our (or my) attention. Not every one may be suitable or properly sourced (original source), so we can't promise that every one would get posted, but if that's more comfortable for some, you're welcome to use private message.

If something really interests you, let us know! :)
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:47 pm

tehdoomsayer wrote:i've honestly wondered if there were more users on here who would like submitting their own stories on whatever topics they feel deserve some exposure.

I meant to add this earlier, and I totally forgot. Anyone who does have a self-written story for a topic of discussion which fits the categories in our "discussion forums", is always welcome to post it there.
sunnyd

Return to File-Sharing News