Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

What happened to this place?

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

What happened to this place?

Postby curzlgt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:25 am

The worlds most popular file sharing site goes down for its longest stretch in its 11+ year history....... I come here to find details, and see nothing. 5 hours after it was first reported I, an old school member post a couple news sources on the topic..... and it takes an hour for them to hit the front page....... A front page of news that has 4 replies in two days...... I keep trying occasionally to re-engage with my favorite site of all time when I'm drunk, then forget about it...... I spent a half hour reading zbeast's posts, so I know there are rocking members left here....... When I quit coming here as a regular contributor was several years ago. We had made strides toward making this site a member contribution filesharing/ teck news aggregator , that produced some great discussion. I gave up when it seemed to me that it was becoming the sunnyd show...... I see that it still is the sunnyd show. I miss the old Slyck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Re: What happened to this place?

Postby curzlgt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:34 am

By the way, I'd absolutely love to come back as a contributor if anyone would like to see my contributions!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby curzlgt » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:42 am

As I'm a little tipsy, I made a point to write myself a note to check on this thread in the next few days :P
curzlgt

Postby myopia » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:08 am

What do you think happened to this place? It lost its relevance. I check in from time to time too. Nothing... nada... dead as in dead. I think the site needs to be donated to an organisation that will keep it up for posterity... of a different time when P2P was ALIVE!!! BT is not P2P. Nobody is reading the shit anymore. No one is interested. The time when we were rebels is no more. Perhaps a lot of us grew up too? BTW, Zeropaid does fuck all too, and P2P News ain't no more either! Torrentfreak is the exception.
myopia

Postby sunnyd » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:52 pm

Ouch…

Well, OK, let me address the comments that you both have made, curz and myopia.

It’s no secret that the days of file sharing have completely changed, and there isn’t really new news to report on, either on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis with respect to file sharing.

Let’s face it, all of us at Slyck, including myself, really miss the old days when there were numerous file sharing topics daily to discuss, new file-sharing clients and new file sharing sites to report and write about, which was when the file sharing world was in full swing. Back then, those categories of news were in abundance, and writing news was easy. That was then, and this is now. It’s because of that void that Slyck diversified its news reporting to encompass more reporting in other categories of technology and science, as well as still covering file sharing news when it’s available. For the record, the additional news categories were in place long before I began doing news for Slyck, therefore I changed nothing.

SlyckTom, Slyck’s owner, has been pursuing his life-long goal of becoming a lawyer, and while we all miss his news writing and participation here, we are certainly very proud of his accomplishment in reaching that goal recently, and we fully understand his absence and the way he devoted himself to law school for the past several years to be able reach that goal.

In lieu of what I stated above, it really makes no sense that comments above by both of you (and in other threads by you, myopia), are in essence an attack on Slyck toward the one person who continues to bring news of all types to Slyck trying to encourage discussion and participation.

Sarcasm, drunken posts, rants and personal attacks (by you, curz), directed towards me are not really accomplishing anything here are they, guys? I think after reading your comments that it’s fair to say that I see them as a bit on the immature side, and they show an inability on your part to accept change. Finding news to post daily and writing news takes a lot of effort. Coming here just to complain there is nothing to read here that's worthwhile any more is almost like saying nobody here does anything, and that's far from the truth. :wink:

There’s still plenty of other news to read on Slyck, and while you may not think it’s worth reading, I do respect your entitlement to a personal opinion on that, as not everyone can always agree on the same things and I find that aspect of life perfectly acceptable.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby multivariable » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:19 am

curzlgt wrote:I gave up when it seemed to me that it was becoming the sunnyd show...... I see that it still is the sunnyd show. I miss the old Slyck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1
multivariable

Postby sunnyd » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:22 pm

I definitely miss the old days as well, when there was so much file-sharing activity that it was hard to keep up with. Unfortunately, that has changed. However, I am not intimidated by those who can't appreciate effort. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby wmitty » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:04 am

sunnyd wrote:Let’s face it, all of us at Slyck, including myself, really miss the old days when there were numerous file sharing topics daily to discuss, new file-sharing clients and new file sharing sites to report and write about, which was when the file sharing world was in full swing. Back then, those categories of news were in abundance, and writing news was easy. That was then, and this is now. It’s because of that void that Slyck diversified its news reporting to encompass more reporting in other categories of technology and science, as well as still covering file sharing news when it’s available. .

There are at least 180+ million file sharers on torrents/ed2k/usenet now which is double than back in the middle 2000s and i read news about some of them every day of the week.

What youre saying is that news isnt falling into your lap anymore. Ask journos anywhere, you have to find good news and help to make the story. Thats maybe too much effort hence the mainly blank front page all the time
wmitty

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:54 am

wmitty wrote:What youre saying is that news isnt falling into your lap anymore. Ask journos anywhere, you have to find good news and help to make the story. Thats maybe too much effort hence the mainly blank front page all the time

Interesting, now I'm getting a lecture on how to do news. I am not going to write news daily every time The Pirate Bay, or its founders have an issue or sneeze, or for every website that is taken offline, or editorialize the same OLD file-sharing/torrent news over and over again. Not only do I not have the time, it's redundant news most of the time.

wmitty, your synopsis works very well for part time students, or for those who have actual paid jobs in journalism/media, or for those who have plenty of free time available to research and write news. I already have a full-time very demanding job, as well as a family and a home to take care of; in other words, I have a life. :wink: Anything I do for Slyck is volunteer work, when I can find the time, in between everything else I do.

Your "that's maybe too much effort" comment is much more applicable in situations when people actually do nothing at all, rather than for those who do what they can, when they can. :idea:
sunnyd

Postby wmitty » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:06 pm

You make yourself clear.

Part-time gig, not serious, no time.

Thats a much more believable explanation than claiming theres no news.
wmitty

Postby sunnyd » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:23 am

wmitty wrote:You make yourself clear.

Part-time gig, not serious, no time.

Thats a much more believable explanation than claiming theres no news.

wmitty, your perception of what I stated is very poor.

To put it politely, people getting something for free on a website, and complaining about the one who worked hard on their free time to give it to them, is just plain ignorance on the part of the complainers.

Being a positive contributor with a good attitude, showing dedication, and demonstrating a willingness to work through change are things all four of the people complaining in this thread have seriously lacked on several occasions.

If you don't like what Slyck has had to offer for news in the past several years, that's your problem, but going out of your way to contribute nothing more than complaints is uncalled for. This "witch-hunt" for "sunnyd" was started by a drunk post, and enough is enough.

EDIT: By the way curzlgt, you mentioned your contributions on Slyck in such a manner that you felt yours were superior for some reason, so here's a sample of some of the stories you posted in software news when you were contributing:

March 2008:
WordPerfect antitrust case greenlighted by the Supreme Court
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=41885

May 2008:
Microsoft resumes XP, Vista updates
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=42571

June 2008:
Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan private pics exposed by Yahoo hack
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=42935

January 2009:
Stanford Students Release A Cool Batch Of iPhone Apps
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=45943

Efforts by any Slyck contributors, whether past or present, who have volunteered their time to bring news to this forum have always been very appreciated. However, news is news, it varies all the time just as the opinions of what news is interesting and what isn't, varies between people. Criticizing the hard work and efforts of another volunteer on Slyck is a pretty immature and lame thing to do. But then again, so is drunk posting. :wink:
sunnyd

Return to Lounge