Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Scam Attempt?

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Scam Attempt?

Postby dougie1 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:05 am

Phone call last night...telling me my windows identification number (which was correct) and asking me to confirm it.the caller went on to say he was from a cyber crime dept working for i believe microsoft and that windows i.d numbers were being used as proxies etc etc.....he wanted to help me.....gave me a number to phone back with a 44 prefix and said it changed every few minutes for their own security..... he wanted me to type in a web site name-go there -and it would explain what he/they do....I didnt. He then said if you wont co-operate (for my own good) he would block my windows i.d rendering p.c inoperable....I said do it . anyway im pretty sure its a scam attempt but how did he know my windows i.d? and should i report this to someone..if so who? he sounded convincing and prob some people might get caught out ..he had an indian accent which seems usual in these cases. tks....
Last edited by sunnyd on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed caps in topic heading per forum rule 12.
dougie1

Re: SCAM ATTEMPT?

Postby dougie1 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:07 am

by the way the website i was supposed to go to was either cssserver or gccserver if i recall correctly.
dougie1

Re: Scam Attempt?

Postby sunnyd » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:35 am

It's a scam, and never confirm anything to anyone calling you on the phone. If you have a Windows Live ID that you have used to access other services or XBox, you should change it, and change the password to your PC also, as well as passwords to any financial or other related sensitive logins that you may have.

This link will tell you how to report it (there is a separate link in this link below), even if the person calling did not say he was from Microsoft directly.
http://www.microsoft.com/security/onlin ... scams.aspx

The only time a representative from a cybercrime unit would ever contact you, would be related to a massive botnet takedown (or something similar), and they would provide you with proper credentials and a contact number that is legitimate.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby dougie1 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:04 pm

tKS for your reply Sunnyd......Ive changed all passwords as you suggested but it wasnt my windows live i.d he mentioned it was my windows serial number the 15 digits ,(my mistake in my post) and as I said he had it correct.Is it easy for a hacker/scammer to get that? and what benefit would it be to them other than using it as an introduction to the phone call scam attempt?.........while i can change passwords,obviousluy i cant change the windows serial number.
regards
dougie1

Postby sunnyd » Sun Jul 20, 2014 4:55 pm

From what I have read lately, some cybercriminals are gaining access to PC's using Windows Live IDs, which yes, is a separate issue from your Product Key/Serial Number.

As for how they obtained that, there are a number of possible ways, including gaining access by using a non-encrypted network or other means of hacking. Perhaps they even hacked into a database where software was registered. What operating system? Where did you purchase your version of Windows, was it OEM, Enterprise, or other? It's not easy for everyone to find a product key on a PC and ever since Windows Vista, it's even harder to find unless on the outside of the device on a tag or on a CD/DVD case, and it depends on which operating system you use, as to how to find it (this would be a very lengthy discussion). You can do your own research on that. :wink: There are too many unknowns, and if it was a legitimate call for another reason, they will get back in touch with you. Use the form on the link I provided, and report the call, that is if you have the number saved in caller ID.

Having a product key does a cybercriminal no good and even if they tried to use that product key, it would register as already used, depending on whether or not you registered your product key. I would assume you are getting updates, unless you are using XP, in which case updates are no more and then who cares if they have your serial number/product key.

Check for firewall settings, router settings, network settings and be sure you have changed your Windows password, and if you don't have one set, I recommend setting one.

Scammers scam, and they are very good at it, unfortunately. Just make sure you covered all the bases above and never provide any information to anyone calling.

Good luck!
sunnyd

Postby gavilan » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:33 am

This sounds like the CLSID scam. They call you and say that they are the "Microsoft Support Desk" or similar. They then get you to open a Command Prompt and type ASSOC. Near the bottom of the DOS window is an entry called .zfsendtotarget=CLSID\. They quote you the alphanumeric string, which is 888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062, and tell you that this number is unique to your computer to convince you that they can see into your machine. The number is not unique, it is the same on all (most?) Windows computers.
gavilan

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:41 am

Thanks, gavilan, for the reminder about that one. And it is possible that dougie does not know his actual product key, and I was assuming that he did. Perhaps dougie can clear this up, whether or not that is what happened.
sunnyd

Postby dougie1 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:53 pm

mystery solved ...thanks to you guys....I rememember now I indeed was asked to type in "ASSOC",which I did (which might have been foolish) and it was the ID number that came up after doing that ,which i thought was my windows serial number .I probabley confused you guys unintentionally...and myself come to that :oops:
Its been reported..and thanks very much for your replies Sunnyd and gavilan,its appreciated........I guess we all live and learn.....tks again
dougie1

Postby sunnyd » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Absolutely no need to be embarrassed, dougie1, you are far from alone. Those bastard scammers are damn good, and let's face it, how many people actually know their product key? I just wanted to be sure all bases were covered in the event you had been hacked, and thanks to gavilan for the reminder of CLSID.

Glad the mystery is solved, and you can stop worrying now. Changing your passwords was still a good move. :wink:
sunnyd

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion