Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

ssl-news.info signup problems?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

ssl-news.info signup problems?

Postby ejonesss » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:27 pm

i tried to signup for ssl-news.info and i got the invoice by email but no password.

has anyone else tried ssl-news.info and had any problems like that?

is the system done manually where they have to manually assign the password and activate the account?

also i noticed that paypal transaction goes to a private individual's email address making me believe that they are an affiliate or reseller for a bigger newsgroup service

does anyone else have the service and can chime in?

do they have to manually activate accounts or is the password listed on the invoice but easily overlooked due to the formatting

when i signed up there was no place to enter a password making it look like they send out a password.

if anyone else had problems please help
Last edited by ejonesss on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Re: ssl-news.info signup problems?

Postby ejonesss » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 am

anyone?
ejonesss

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:45 am

ejonesss,

1) Have you used a search engine to see if there are negative comments out there? (I found nothing negative by simply typing in the site name using a search engine.)
2) Did you try their live chat?
3) Did you try contacting them with any questions?
4) Did you sign up, and if so, did you receive your password/login info?
5) Right on their main page it tells you that once you pay, they send the login/password.

Using a search engine will tell you if there is anything negative. You can always rely on people who have had bad experiences with a site posting their issues on the internet, which are easily found in a search.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:06 am

I forgot to add that the only negative thing I saw (which is found on page two of a Google search), is the post you made here on Slyck, concerned that they are a scam. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby ejonesss » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:07 am

i did pay and got the paypal transaction saying that i did and even invoice by email but no password.

the paypal invoice shows that the email is a private individual suggesting ssl news maybe an affiliate of some other newsserver.

they seem to be tied to town.ag because they are listed in all alt.binaries.town downloads

i tried to email but no response.

it is either a scam or maybe since it may be tied to town.ag forum i may have to be a member of the forum.

i wanted to signup with them because ssl news looks like someone who may be dmca immune or has the verification bar set so high it is impossible to get something taken down and thereby the binaries should be more complete.
ejonesss

Postby ejonesss » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:09 am

did you look closely at the subject line to see if there was a question mark at the end.

this is asking others on this board if they was aware of any problems with the server.

i was asking if it is a scam not saying it is.

sunnyd wrote:I forgot to add that the only negative thing I saw (which is found on page two of a Google search), is the post you made here on Slyck, concerned that they are a scam. :wink:
ejonesss

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:13 am

ejonesss wrote:did you look closely at the subject line to see if there was a question mark at the end.

this is asking others on this board if they was aware of any problems with the server.

Yes, I understood that perfectly, but once again, if there are people who have had issues with the site, it would be all over the internet, which is not the case, there was not one negative post to be found.

If you're that concerned, cancel your paypal transaction, or try other means of contacting them, live chat, email again, etc.
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:17 am

ejonesss, I have tried to contact them, we'll see if they respond.
sunnyd

Postby ejonesss » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:22 am

what did you say to them?
ejonesss

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:28 am

I pointed them to your concerns, indicating that you stated you had not received a response from them.
sunnyd

Postby ssl-news » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:49 am

contact us please with information, like user name

support@ssl-news.info

with kind regards
ssl-news

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks for your quick response, ssl-news, and hopefully all can be easily resolved between both of you via email or using your live chat (as suggested in your return email to me).
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:38 pm

ejonesss, for the sake of our other readers, please let us know when this is resolved one way or another.

Thanks!
sunnyd

Postby ejonesss » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:19 pm

i sent the email to the supplied address.

i suspect you may have lost your paypal account because they are cracking down along with many credit cards on services that are known to aid in piracy and maybe your account got caught up in that crackdown.

easy way to check is to login and look for things like frozen account or what ever
ejonesss

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:16 pm

ejonesss wrote:i suspect you may have lost your paypal account because they are cracking down along with many credit cards on services that are known to aid in piracy and maybe your account got caught up in that crackdown.

I don't believe this is relevant at all, and not something to just speculate on. In their email response to me, they indicated that they went back and checked, and had not received any emails from anyone indicating they never received a password. Hopefully now that you have emailed them again, you can get this resolved.
sunnyd

Postby ejonesss » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:16 am

thank you ssl-news

it looks like a botchup of the email address or maybe your servers are bouncing email addresses.

i sent you an email with more question
ejonesss

Postby ssl-news » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:45 pm

we have recived youre messages and send the details.
maybe better u look in to spam folder also ;)
if its not theire, send us a another email, maybe youre provider bans us
ssl-news

Postby ejonesss » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:55 am

i did finally get the login info.

and i got the second email ok

you said "we have answer u"

my email is configured to catch all with some filters but they are mostly to sort the email into folders like since i use ebay and paypal alot i have 2 mail boxes for them.

i forgot about the isp banning my isp uses the maps.org email abuse system and maybe one of your email address uses that

i dont know how maps works but if it uses keywords to block email you may want to check all the emails that has bounced and study them for keywords that could trigger a block.

the invoice came through ok though it is in what looks like german it had the username but not the password and that is what got me.

a suggestion: it may be a good idea do like most other newsservers do and have a place for the user to choose a password in the signup screen so if the email fails they still can use the service and maybe implement a delay revocation system so if your method is being done to allow time to verify the clearance of the payment.

maybe a delay in access would be good where say limited access until the payment is verified or something.
ejonesss

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:20 pm

with all due respect, ejonesss, i'll bet the problem was at your end all along.
MrFredPFL

Postby ejonesss » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:02 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:with all due respect, ejonesss, i'll bet the problem was at your end all along.

not quite.

i have no control over what my isp does.

if it was on my end it would be usually be the email client that came with osx and thereby i would still see the email and tell the client "not junk and move it to the inbox.

my isp subscribes to a service called maps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mail_Abuse ... ion_System

it is a system that supplies blacklists similar to peer guardian.

i suspect when ssl news tried to send out the login info on the night i signed up their email got caught up in maps and was bounced back.

because many commercial operations like a newsserver wants to prevent mail loops they either use a non functioning reply address or they ignore replies.

or they may have a script that deletes bounces or hides them from the mail so they can go un noticed.

i am now able to get access to the account and while too late for now maybe in the future i may need it so it is nice to know i got the account access.
ejonesss

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:20 pm

your ISP is your end. did i say i felt u were personally responsible? your ISP isn't their end, is it?

my point was that i didn't believe any of this was due to ssl-news doing anything wrong.

the problem WAS at your end, not theirs. you have confirmed this. perhaps in the future, you'll be less likely to point fingers blindly - although i doubt it.
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:47 pm

ps: i think it would be a very nice gesture on your part to edit the thread title to indicate that there was no scam here.
MrFredPFL

Postby ejonesss » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:12 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:ps: i think it would be a very nice gesture on your part to edit the thread title to indicate that there was no scam here.

i changed it to signup problems but all the other posts cant be changed except by mods and admins.
ejonesss

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:18 pm

i'll get the rest.
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:51 pm

Thanks, everyone! :toast:
sunnyd