Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

BitTorrent Back To Google Search Autofill

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

BitTorrent Back To Google Search Autofill

Postby sunnyd » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:47 pm

FYI...

It appears that Google has removed BitTorrent from its internet search piracy filter, they are back to autofill now by just typing in the first few letters again. When I check for news daily, I had been resorting to typing in the whole word, but not any more, it autofills again. We'll see how long it lasts. :wink:

Also just tested a few others, and uTorrent is back to autofill also.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: BitTorrent Back To Google Search Autofill

Postby sunnyd » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:32 pm

I just noticed that some media sources have been reporting this also, I first noticed it yesterday, since I search for BitTorrent every day.
sunnyd

Postby ejonesss » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:41 pm

why would google do that?
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby sunnyd » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:42 pm

I'm not Google, I can't answer you. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:55 pm

From the media...

BitTorrent Restored To Google Search Function

http://variety.com/2013/biz/news/bittor ... 200667851/

Part of the article...

In an interview, Mason said that they had not been talking to Google “directly” about restoring its name into the auto-complete function, saying that it was “not something we instigated specifically.” He said that the restoration represents a “perception shift in terms of the word ‘BitTorrent.’” The company announced a BitTorrent Bundle for artists and other content creators to publish directly to fans.

Google did not return messages for comment. The MPAA and the Recording Industry Assn. of America had no comment.
sunnyd

Postby Cornelius Pumpkins » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:36 am

sunnyd wrote:I just noticed that some media sources have been reporting this also, I first noticed it yesterday, since I search for BitTorrent every day.

Interesting that you coincidentally noticed the changes on the same day as the media reports. Google's changes on auto-completing torrent and utorrent were implemented in March.
Cornelius Pumpkins

Postby sunnyd » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:15 am

One gets in a habit of typing without looking, Cornelius, something I do ALL the time, and to be honest, the day I actually noticed it doesn't matter but since you came here specifically to whine and/or be critical and suspicious about this, I'll explain further. I changed which browser I was using for searching, and I actually LOOKED at what I was typing. I search for news every single day.

Do you represent a news source, and I didn't post your source's story, or I don't use your favorite source so you came here just to complain in a not so subtle way? You seem to go out of your way just to do that, and this is not the first time.

Edit: If in fact it changed back in March, I'm glad I'm not the only one who just noticed it, and the results were the same either way, whether you typed the whole word, or whether it autofilled. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:53 am

google rolled out a new algorithm more recently, filtering the results may be done differently and letting more stuff thru
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby sunnyd » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:56 am

I just posted an article about their new search algorithm which can be found here....

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=62596
sunnyd

Postby Cornelius Pumpkins » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:39 pm

@sunny

I just found it amusing that you posted a thread which gives the impression that you personally found something really quite interesting, yet actually there were already a douple of dozen news articles on the exact same topic on the very same day covering a development that took place half a year ago. It was already old news on the day the news 'broke' and everyone spotted it on the same day. What a coincidence.

Try not to be so defensive when people contribute to the conversation in a manner you don't like, it creates the opposite impression of your character than the one you're trying to portray.
Cornelius Pumpkins

Postby sunnyd » Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:45 pm

If I had seen the media reports first, why would I not have posted it in news like all the other news I post, rather than in discussion? Is it a coincidence that many of your posts are simply to state "this is not news", and that you go out of your way to come here just to post that?
sunnyd

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion