Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

After Demonoid

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

After Demonoid

Postby loninappleton » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:00 pm

I was on Demonoid for a long time. I had a 5 to 1 share and had just broken 1 Tb of upload there. The community has effective descriptions and avid interest groups for the discussion and wider dissemination of film noir and other subjects which were catalogued in an easy and friendly way.

Now what?

I have found difficulty in even finding upload procedures or methods to give a good description on such places as KAT. They have a few new titles for me but how to upload they say is easy yet I have picked around on all their screens, found one desacription but no 'here is where you upload, click this' in some obvious manner. Poor web design with a lot of type fonts and sizes plus the interminable flashing ads contributes to this. I am tired, physically tired, of constantly playing whack - a - mole to clear my screen of rubbish.

What is better and what is best from the experienced users at Slyck? I come here for advice on these torrent issues as well as how tos for Usenet but have not taken that pay-for service step yet.
loninappleton

Re: After Demonoid

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:26 pm

usenet was once an arcane world which could only be used by wizards and sorcerers who knew all the proper incantations and spells. but those days are in the past now. get a good client and a source for NZBs, and it's as simple as point and click.

Poor web design with a lot of type fonts and sizes plus the interminable flashing ads contributes to this.

this is one of my pet peeves. i hate when people (online, tv, movies, print, whatever) indiscriminately mix fonts, sizes, and colors, for no better reason than they think it looks cool. it doesn't. it looks like shit. it's a website, not a ransom note.
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Poor web design with a lot of type fonts and sizes plus the interminable flashing ads contributes to this.

this is one of my pet peeves. i hate when people (online, tv, movies, print, whatever) indiscriminately mix fonts, sizes, and colors, for no better reason than they think it looks cool. it doesn't. it looks like shit. it's a website, not a ransom note.[/quote]

:)

Good one.

But it's at the saturation point and at the end of the string of user tolerance for advertising content as well. This used to be the province of spam. Nowadays it is much worse than television ever was and it is as if the decreasing screen space and distractions while on one has no downward limit.
loninappleton

Postby Lee1001 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:15 pm

I also uploaded there since the start,had just over 1000 torrents active,same name as here,now considering 1337x and extratorrent but I'm not sure where to go next,wish Mininova was still around,then again I thing Demonoid will return,if only they say something to us their regular users.
Lee1001

Postby Mullard47 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:31 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:usenet was once an arcane world which could only be used by wizards and sorcerers who knew all the proper incantations and spells. but those days are in the past now. get a good client and a source for NZBs, and it's as simple as point and click.

this is one of my pet peeves. i hate when people (online, tv, movies, print, whatever) indiscriminately mix fonts, sizes, and colors, for no better reason than they think it looks cool. it doesn't. it looks like shit. it's a website, not a ransom note.

We live in an era where, it would appear, the graphics skills and experience of many have been acquired in the course of formulating listings for on-line auctions using the composition tools provided by those entities.
Mullard47

Postby loninappleton » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:47 am

Lee1001 wrote:I also uploaded there since the start,had just over 1000 torrents active,same name as here,now considering 1337x and extratorrent but I'm not sure where to go next,wish Mininova was still around,then again I thing Demonoid will return,if only they say something to us their regular users.

@Lee1001

Good to hear from you. I know your contributions to Demonoid and my name is the same as well. Both here on Slyck and at TorrentFreak news, the regular uploaders are discussing a next move.

A PM would be most appreciated and I continue to watch for replies here (though I apparently did not have it marked subscribed.)

I know nothing of so-called private torrent services but that seems a good way to entrapment. Usenet has always been reliable and I began on Usenet contributing film reviews to rec.arts.movies in the early days. Still, I resist a subscription service since I am 64 and on a fixed disability (and minimum at that) income. If Usenet is the only way I will learn how to fit it in. But Demonoid was particularly good for the kinds of historical material you have and I continue to acquire.
loninappleton

Postby FrancisPaulson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:06 pm

I loved Demonoid, but in the past month I have come to value Kick Ass torrents as a decent stand in. It is well organized and once you understand just which area has the download button, you are all set. For TV shows I still like EZTV.it, but since I prefer the large file versions of specific TV shows I also use PUBLIC HD.

I check out THE PIRATE BAY all the time. The only real problem I have with TPB is that when I select for video files I get everything, music, audio books, game software etc... How hard can it be to make that "select file type" button actually work!

Finally... Usenet... do you know that I have yet to see, in plain English, that you can download movies etc on usenet... 20 years on the internet and I am still not sure why - whenever I look into usenet (like on Slyck) I find all sorts of gibberish instead of the plain facts.

You know, I am on welfare. The film industry is not losing any money because I download stuff. I have $100 a week to live on, and half of that goes on cat food and cat litter. Much of the rest goes on gas for my 12 year old car. I consider downloading cultural stuff like The Dark Knight Rises on the same level as taking a book or movie out of the library... I could never afford to pay for 10% of the stuff!

Demonoid, you are missed!
FrancisPaulson

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:11 pm

in plain english, francis, i will tell u that u can download movies etc on usenet ;)

chances are, if it's not on usenet somewhere, it doesn't exist.
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Well if it comes down to unzipping an RAR I've done that on torrents. The process seems easier with NZB etc.

I think if you didn't try to tell people how it works and just give the steps Usenet would be easier. It's like the old joke about asking for the time of day and being told how to make a watch (alternate answer: a description of Einsteins theory of relativity.)

It took me a long time to get used to torrents. I made many errors in the process.
loninappleton

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:18 pm

the NZB simply indexes all the many parts (files) which the item you want consists of. modern usenet clients do all the work for you. open the NZB with your client, and it will spit out a finished whatever when it's done downloading. the client handles the decoding, unraring, and assembly, and all you have to do is enjoy the result.
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:41 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:the NZB simply indexes all the many parts (files) which the item you want consists of. modern usenet clients do all the work for you. open the NZB with your client, and it will spit out a finished whatever when it's done downloading. the client handles the decoding, unraring, and assembly, and all you have to do is enjoy the result.

Great.
Now we just have to deal with the little matter of monthly subscription.
loninappleton

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:28 pm

try http://usenetstorm.com/ - free access ( :toast: to cornelius for finding this)

disclaimer: their free service has a limit of 500 MB per NZB. if you're looking for stuff that's smaller than that, no problem. for larger items, some editing of NZBs will be required to break it up into pieces that will fit under the 500 meg limit. i assume there's such a thing as an NZB editor out there, but that's only a guess.

if u try it, please let us know how well it works :)
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:37 pm

Boy that's really tiny for any video content. It might as well not exist except for pop tunes and prob'ly applications.

However I did begin to look at how very tiny mkvs could be made using some tools such as MeGUI. There has to be some cure for 4 Gb bluray movies transferred as files. I just ignore those huge things. DVDFab can get a dvd on a fixed size of say 900 mb. Smaller is possible but it requires lower resolutions-- but these resolutions may be fine for standard CRT viewing such as a 19 in monitor.
loninappleton

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:40 pm

yes, but understand that a full length movie will consist of MANY separate files. by splitting those files between multiple NZBs...

and 500 meg is plenty for flac albums, for example.
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:42 pm

i should add that i've never done this (broken up an NZB into multiple parts), so i don't know how this will affect a usenet client's ability to automate the decoding/unraring/assembly process.
MrFredPFL

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:40 am

Rather than edit/break-up an NZB, you could just use Binsearch, or similar, to create a number of NZBs from the individual files of the release, making sure that you don't select more that 500MB of files at a time. Some usenet clients/downloaders may still be able to auto-repair/unpack the set, as long each NZB/download from the set is given the same name, but it may be best to manually repair and unpack the release.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby loninappleton » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:16 am

Well what I should do is get a Red Orb subscription for a month or two to learn the process-- an investment. I have gathered the NZB materials in print form already. But quite frankly a few videos on Slyck is not terribly helpful especially since, like you tubes, they start and stop continuously on my poor bandwidth connection. To get help I don;t want to have to be on Usenet to try to use it. Which is a good forum discussion for new users?
loninappleton

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:22 am

the most important step is to get a good client. i'm happy with grabit. if you've got a good client and a source for the NZBs you want, i think you'll find the process is not nearly as intimidating as it might seem. and if you go with red orb, you won't have to worry about breaking NZBs up into pieces, which will allow the client to do its work without hindrance.
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:48 am

Ok. I've had the grabit discussion before here or elsewhere. I've been on the fence for a long time simply because I don't have the discretionary income that makes a decision easy.

Can we keep the discussion of Usenet how- to open here on Slyck as a new topic? Or Demonoid users might benefit form continuing here.

Question One: How did Usenet become a pay-as-you-go service in the first place? Usenet was the original free exchange of newsgroup data. I began in newsgroups on a free BBS here in 1991. It's not my first rodeo. But somewhere Usenet became cash driven as the Internet world wide web grew.
loninappleton

Postby tmc » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:29 am

Well, this is going to be about as helpful as a cup of water in the rain, but there are lesser known torrent sites that carry niche files.. it will take a bit of doing if you're trying to use google search, so don't.. unless you'd like to gouge your eyes out with the censorship. Use other search engines.. I was doing some research to see what kind of "BOOK torrent files had actually become e-books, and I was surprised to see more than you would have found years ago... but these sites aren't quite as organized as video & music just yet.. my guess is niche video is going to be somewhat better than par for books in 2012. People don't buy 4tb hard drives for e-books ;-)

Me? I have only a 1tb internal..
Also, some legacy ide few hundred gigs lying around collecting dust.

Also, on days I've been let down by TPB not having something, it usually ends up found on isohunt, torrentz, and extratorrent. But don't hold your breath for "community guide postings". Also, I'm liking wha XMBC & Navi-X are trying to build.. maybe they will add some commentary, and community forums, chat rooms & the like.. right now it's kinda raw click-n-go stuff w/ more broken & dead links to shake a stick at..
tmc

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:44 am

lon, if u want to have an extended usenet how-to discussion, then i'd suggest starting a new topic for it on the newsgroups board - mainly because it will be easier to find by any others looking for the same info.
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Ok, I will begin that now and duplicate my initial question. But here's what I don't want to see happen. The build a clock types start to list different links to go to so they don't have to answer anything. This is common in the Linux world. I call it being sent to the haystack.

This discussion has not resorted to that sort of what I have come to call "shorthand."
loninappleton

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:11 pm

i'll be happy to answer any question i can, and i promise to not say "google it" :)
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:25 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:i'll be happy to answer any question i can, and i promise to not say "google it" :)

:-)

People hate rule making and who am I to do it? I know, I know. But I also know what the "basically" and "essentially" crowd are like and prefer that responders curb their enthusiasm for such usage. It's a form of pedantry that, over time, I have found to be demeaning and condescending. End of rule making.
loninappleton

Postby Bughead » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:45 am

I, too, was a long time Demonoid user. The biggest problem I have now is finding e-books. Demonoid was always the place to find a book.Does anyone know of another one that excels in ebooks?
Bughead

Next

Return to BitTorrent