Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Effective use of magnet links and questions

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Effective use of magnet links and questions

Postby loninappleton » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:18 pm

Not much activity in the Slyck forums that I can see but I usually come here as a trusted source if questions arise.

I'm getting a a lot of "red" when I try to use Torrent Editor which shows problems with packages created with uTorrent.

The piece in question is going ok at a major tracker but I want to upload to a tracker listed when I made the torrent. This has failed and an error message shows on Torrent Editor: 'Decoder exceeded max length.'

The tracker site offers Bt uploaded and something called EDonkey Magnet links which I know nothing about. I tried to add Magnet Link capability to the torrent in uTorrent options but I think I botched it up.

There are many explanations of how Magnet Links work which just adds confusion. In sum, I have still not added that tracker with the error message successfully.

Is there a source for a thorough use of the Magnet Link process? Also is there a program other than Torrent Editor where the conent of the torrent can be seen? I'd like to know any change made by adding MagLink capability.
loninappleton

Re: Effective use of magnet links and questions

Postby Lee1001 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:08 am

I think you shoud check out TPB forums,they invented magnet links
Lee1001

Postby loninappleton » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:19 pm

Lee1001 wrote:I think you should check out TPB forums,they invented magnet links

I never know what the status of TPB is: active or inactive.

I'll take your advice and see if I can locate their discussion. A trusted place for me from many days is AfterDawn as well.
I have not checked there yet for guides. They have many. What I don't get is what a place like EDonkey2k has to do with anything. It just sounds like something I'd rather avoid.
loninappleton

Postby IneptVagrant » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:31 pm

EDonkey2k was an original p2p network created in 2000. The client was abandoned in 2005, but the network continues to exist via emule, amule, MLDonkey and others. It has always used links similar to magnet links, and in part spurred the creation of magnet links the promote compatibility.

Magnet links were not created by TPB
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby LANjackal » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:12 pm

ED2K magnet links require an ED2K client such as eMule to be downloaded.

In the BitTorrent space, a magnet link is a descriptor for content on the BT DHT network. Further explanation here http://lifehacker.com/5875899/what-are- ... d-torrents
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby loninappleton » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:44 pm

Yes, I made an inquiry at my client program utorrent's site and they explained how it worked a bit and gave a sample maglink using SUSE 12.2 as the content.

I have no idea what an Edonkey2k client is and it sounds silly. I have little enough bandwidth as it is. My 40kb/sec upload ability is fully occupied all the time.

I've considered just making a fresh torrent for the problem site but then that does not show enough seeders.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:23 pm

LANjackal wrote:ED2K magnet links require an ED2K client such as eMule to be downloaded.

In the BitTorrent space, a magnet link is a descriptor for content on the BT DHT network. Further explanation here http://lifehacker.com/5875899/what-are- ... d-torrents

I got the emule client. Sourceforge is a trusted site
There is more emule info needed than just the mag link.
At the index, I was allowed to put in the mag link.
However I do not know how to use emule.

I'll look at the lifehacker link and see if it can be done.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:34 pm

Lifehacker did not tell me much.

I attempted to add the desired index to emule program as http://*************.org/announce.php

But it didn't look right.

I still don't know the info needed at the index aside from the mag link.
loninappleton

Return to BitTorrent