Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Crappard Bell Hell - Help Please

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Crappard Bell Hell - Help Please

Postby Hickster » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:31 am

Hi Guys

I was given a Packard Bell PC (http://www.accomputerwarehouse.com/prod ... -mega-deal) Just like this one.

The thing is, it had no memory and no HDD or Graphics card. I brought a gig of Ram and put my old HDD in and tried to boot but it got stuck in an endless boot loop. I am guessing this is because of the drivers and what not.

Thing is tried to boot to the XP rescue mode from the XP CD and it told me that there was a problem with my Hdd.

The motherboard, supports SATA and one IDE HDD. My HDD is an IDE, I am using the onboard Video and....HELP damn thing, I can seenm to install XP on it or anything, it is the weirdest thing.

Anyone got any ideas I would really appreciate it!
Please feel free to email me at:
acs.bore@gmail.com

Read the BLOG Here
http://acsbore.wordpress.com

Faceless Keyboard Warrior
Hickster

Re: Crappard Bell Hell - Help Please

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:43 am

Have you re-installed XP on the HDD since you put it in the PC or is the XP installation from another system?

If the XP installation has been used previously in different hardware, you'll need to either re-install XP or, if you prefer to keep all your installed programs and settings intact, you'll need to do a 'repair installation' of XP.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Hickster » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:49 am

HouseCrowd wrote:Have you re-installed XP on the HDD since you put it in the PC or is the XP installation from another system?

If the XP installation has been used previously in different hardware, you'll need to either re-install XP or, if you prefer to keep all your installed programs and settings intact, you'll need to do a 'repair installation' of XP.

Thanks for replying

I have tried to Repair XP and that came up with a "Problem with your HDD...pleace check cables ect" BSOD.

It seems the Bios recognises the hdd, but the actual OS doesnt, I tried to install Ubuntu and that couldnt find the HDD either and yet it is there in the Bios and it does attempt to load XP but then resets, it really is quite weird. I tried to put another ide hdd in and actually format it through the XP CD but it just does not get to the actual recovery console.

It says "starting xp" and then I get the BSOD
acs.bore@gmail.com

Read the BLOG Here

Hickster

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:07 am

If it's a PATA HDD, have you checked that the master/slave/CS jumpers correctly match the configuration?

If the jumpers are correct, you may need some 'F6 Floppy' drivers (as they're often referred to) for it to properly recognise the HDD. They're the drivers that you install at the very start of the XP installation process. The status bar at the bottom tells you to press F6 to load additional drivers. Although it's unusual to require F6 Floppy drivers for PATA HDD controllers ... it's usually only SATA HDD controllers that require them, but I would check PB's support site, just in case.

Failing that, you may simply have an incompatibility issue. I've had it numerous times with HDDs. Some makes/models just won't work in some machines. Sometimes a BIOS update fixes it though. Do you have another HDD you could try? It may be worth getting a new SATA HDD for it anyway ... you won't really get the best out of a quad core machine if you put an old, slower PATA HDD in it.

EDIT:
I have tried to Repair XP and that came up with a "Problem with your HDD...pleace check cables ect" BSOD.

Do you mean a 'repair installation' or are you talking about the repair option on the boot disc (which actually takes you to the recovery console)?
To start a repair installation you have to choose to install XP then, after it has detected 'previous versions of Wndows', select the previous installation and choose repair.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Hickster » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:40 am

@HouseCrowd

Thanks again

I dont actually get as far as the menu when I try to boot up from the XP CD.

I think I will try out your suggestions and post back here tomorrow. I thankyou for your advice...so far :D

It is quite frustrating this, I am trying to do this for a friend, so I dont have the machine actually here with me.
acs.bore@gmail.com

Read the BLOG Here

Hickster

Postby Royce » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:25 pm

I have this strong feeling it's a mobo setting and that the PATA is simply not set as the default or as mentioned before the jumper settings on the drive itself (master/slave/CS). Helping direct towards that specific setting is probably much more difficult than sticking an SATA in there and seeing if the world is a happier place. You wouldn't even need to go as far as formating it for the OS to know if that's where you're getting hung up.
The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling.
- Paula Poundstone
Royce

Postby n9xph » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Hickster,

There could be BIOS settings contributing to the issue of not being able to load an OS on the HDD. The PATA cable could be the issue. The optical drive could be marginal. Try booting linux from a flash drive to test for this. Clearing the CMOS memory might help. When you can write to the HDD from a linux live boot you know the problem is solved. A bad HDD could cause the issue also but is not likely because it sounds like you have already tried two different HDDs that were both working in other systems.

Have a very good day,
n9xph
n9xph

Postby n9xph » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Hickster,

An additional thing to check would be that memtest on the linux live boot is showing no memory errors. If you are getting a few memory errors you may need to adjust the RAM timings in the BIOS or you may have a marginal RAM module causing problems.

Have a very good day,
n9xph
n9xph

Postby Hickster » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:59 am

Thanks guys you really ARE the best. I wont be able to look at this machine for a few days, but when I do I will take as much info and if I still cant get it going I will post again on here for more advice...If you dont mind that is...
acs.bore@gmail.com

Read the BLOG Here

Hickster

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion