Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Best Usenet-provider

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: Best Usenet-provider

Postby chainmail » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:06 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:do american providers allow it with block accounts?

I've not seen any statement on any non-Dutch provider's website that would verify that they officially allow account sharing.

However, Mr. GorLov (never short on candor) provides a good explanation of the topic here:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=41907

To backtrack a bit, it's probably hard to precisely define an "American" company as it refers to a newsgroup provider. There are companies like Giganews that fit the bill in every respect:

are owned, incorporated, and staffed in the USA
chiefly market to US residents
operate US-based servers
recognize US laws and jurisdiction in civil/criminal matters
and have covered themselves legally by registering a "Designated Agent" at the U.S. Copyright Office for handling DMCA claims.

The Dutch usenet providers (as a whole) do not fit any of these categories, of course (and only in recent years did they even start offering an English-language website). And with many resellers, it can be hard to figure out where they stand. (Maybe instead of calling them "American", I should have said "non-Dutch")

Speaking of more confusing definitions, "account sharing" - as defined by the Dutch providers that specifically (and officially) allow it - generally means simultaneous sharing, but to providers that ban account sharing, this means non-simultaneous sharing.

Mr. Fred, I understand you might use dialup. Many usenet providers may not be very dialup friendly. Some dialup ISPs may use a variety of different backbones (Qwest, Level3, UUnet, etc) and a user can appear as coming from several different providers since the reverse-DNS is not consistent each time a user dials in and connects. Many usenet providers set triggers that cancel these accounts if the servers are accessed from too many domains, since they interpret these multiple domains as account sharing --- often without even bothering consider the bandwidth consumed. While it's easy to understand the ban on sharing of unlimited accounts, or even a lazy blanket-policy ban by providers that offer both limited and unlimited accounts, even providers that have never offered unlimited accounts, such as Easynews, actively ban account sharing. (Barring excessive bandwidth consumption, bans are never final -- and I've always been able to talk my way out of being banned for account-sharing)

But back to block accounts. Since nothing ever gets wasted, I really see no pressing need to share block accounts. (On the contrary, I use several myself) For instance, someone who had paid $25 for a 100gig block from Usenet-News (or 90gigs from Astraweb) 3 or 4 years ago, when the retention was about 25 days, and --worst case-- never used any of it, would still have that 100 gigs today -- only now with near-200 day retention. Certainly a better "investment" than the stock market.

gorlov wrote:
MrFredPFL wrote:do american providers allow it with block accounts?

We allow it for Block accounts, but not for Unmetered/Unlimited accounts.

Regards,

Goran

hey, that was quick. (Now I need to expand on my unposted post ...)

I think the question should be stated as allowing simultaneous sharing as the Dutch providers allow (splitting connections among users) --- or if this means just no limit on domains it's (non-simultaneously) accessed from?
chainmail

Postby MrFredPFL » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:10 pm

yes, chainmail, i am on dialup. but i was not asking on my behalf, but rather for the benefit of tolarosa.
MrFredPFL

Postby gorlov » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:34 pm

chainmail wrote:
I think the question should be stated as allowing simultaneous sharing as the Dutch providers allow (splitting connections among users) --- or if this means just no limit on domains it's (non-simultaneously) accessed from?

We do not expressively allow account sharing for Block accounts, but don’t forbid it either. The only thing we say is that you are allowed to connect simultaneously from multiple IP addresses using a Block account. However, for Unlimited accounts it’s neither allowed to share, nor connect simultaneously from more than one IP.

Regards,

Goran
gorlov

Postby eNiGMa » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:52 pm

Which news server is the best to post? or all news servers are equal in that sense?
eNiGMa

Postby Jayjay » Thu May 14, 2009 4:43 pm

Anyone know of a good provider who allows anonymous posting? Paypal would be a plus too. Thanks!
Jayjay

Postby BinTube » Thu May 14, 2009 7:31 pm

BinTube.com allows anonymous posting and takes PayPal.
BinTube

Postby Gab » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:18 pm

I've been with Giganews for 9 months then I switched to Astraweb because of the price.

With Astraweb I pay 1/3 of what Giganews charged me and I get the exact same service.

By the way, both services are excellent.
Gab

Postby eztv » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 pm

I'm using astranews. The Year long 96$ plan. it's not the fastest but it is the cheapest.
eztv

Postby ClydeMay » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:13 am

I was a 2 year user of giganews, they were good. always consistent speed, their header compression program was nice as well. I switched to astraweb because for 11/bux rather than 30 it seemed too good not to. speed flakes out once and awhile, but overall i was happy. Recently i switched to cheapuse.net for 7/month, speeds always near maxed/maxed on a 20mbps.

overall i'd say giganews, astraweb, and cheapusenet are all good options.
ClydeMay

Postby apvm » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:30 am

ClydeMay wrote:I was a 2 year user of giganews, they were good. always consistent speed, their header compression program was nice as well. I switched to astraweb because for 11/bux rather than 30 it seemed too good not to. speed flakes out once and awhile, but overall i was happy. Recently i switched to cheapuse.net for 7/month, speeds always near maxed/maxed on a 20mbps.

overall i'd say giganews, astraweb, and cheapusenet are all good options.

How is cheapuse.net retention?
apvm

Postby ClydeMay » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:15 pm

I can get complete files from 400+ days, so i'd say pretty good.
ClydeMay

Postby zarathustra2k1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:52 pm

I can verify that. My 50Gb/s is maxed out on the euro server & I can grab files well over a year old with zero completion issues.

Go Astra! :D
"All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering
zarathustra2k1

Postby angelium » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi,

has anyone tried unliminews yet?
I see they have a partnership with Slyck and their newsgroup client seems pretty interesting.

But I can't find any reviews right now...
angelium

Postby CygnusXII » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:31 am

I've been using Giganews for over 10 years and have never had a complaint. Some say it is more expensive, but I have never had an outage, and I run it full bore all the time. I used to work for a local ISP and was able to download from Giganews at 35 to 50 Mbps and I run it at home at 12 Mbps, rock solid all the time. I have the total package so I have no bandwidth caps. It works on multiple ports, and supports SSL. Heck my work connection filters everything you can think of, but I am even able to use Giganews there, coming through port 80, like a web browser. I have turned many folks onto Giganews, and they all eventually try to go to a cheaper service, but eventually come back to Giga, because it is so dependable and adaptable, and has such a good retention time.
CygnusXII

Postby zarathustra2k1 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:47 am

CygnusXII wrote:I have turned many folks onto Giganews, and they all eventually try to go to a cheaper service, but eventually come back to Giga, because it is so dependable and adaptable, and has such a good retention time.

Of course they do. :roll: Because everybody loves paying $30 a month for an identical service to one they can get for $8. :lookup:

Btw all, Astraweb is now up to 990 days. I regularly download 900+ day old files & they unRAR just fine. ;)
"All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country." - Hermann Goering
zarathustra2k1

Postby Watain » Thu May 12, 2011 11:40 am

zarathustra2k1 wrote:Of course they do. :roll: Because everybody loves paying $30 a month for an identical service to one they can get for $8. :lookup:

where can i find usenet service for $8?
Watain

Postby gsorel » Thu May 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Just suscribe to an annual plan

$95.40 ((Comes to $7.95 a month!) on UsenetServer

$99 on Newshsoting and more on: http://www.ngprovider.com/usenet-specials.php
Last edited by gsorel on Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
gsorel

Postby zarathustra2k1 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:41 pm

Watain wrote:
zarathustra2k1 wrote:Of course they do. :roll: Because everybody loves paying $30 a month for an identical service to one they can get for $8. :lookup:

http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/voucher.cgi?t=zgufplhxfr2cwsw

Fill your boots, dude! :pirate:
zarathustra2k1

Postby Watain » Fri May 13, 2011 5:56 am

thanks a lot! :D
Watain

Postby mfa » Mon May 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Thanks for the tips !
mfa

Postby alan_m » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:20 pm

Hello to all.......
My main motive to come here to know about the best usenet and newsgroup provider.
Actually am newbie for usenet and get confused by knowing the various schemes and facilities provide by different provides so please suggest me which one ins best and good for use by taking concern of reliability and performance.Hoping to find solution of my query. :thumbup:
----------------------------------------------------------------
For more information click on supernews | easynews
alan_m

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:18 am

:lol: :lookup: :rofl: :mrgreen:

like the dead hand of hari seldon, the preordained Curse of the Crowded House cannot be avoided, even when he sleeps.

:D
MrFredPFL

Postby mfa » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:56 am

Usenet server and astraweb are good but there is also newshosting at $8.33 per month.I use this offer, and i've got unlimited download + speed...i took also a vpn with an other provider so now i'm anonymous :) otherwize, don't use newsdemon, the support is "terrible", they never answer...
mfa

Postby vpnandusenet » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:31 pm

Hello,

Just wanted to add to the discussion by saying myself and a few editors have opened: http://vpnandusenetreviews.com

I don't want to advertise too much, so I'm limiting it to this one post in this one thread. Mods, delete button if I cross the line.

The site is trying to collect honest reviews and feedback from customers and users of the various usenet (and vpn) service providers. The format is pretty simple, services with the highest ratings get pushed to the top of the list. Editors reviews aren't worth any more than user reviews. Right now we have Giganews, ThunderNews, Easynews, Newshosting, and Usenetserver at the Top 5. NGroups and Astraweb are on the button. Newshosting and Usenetserver have some great yearly deals. Astraweb is a little underrepresented right now. But one of your users kindly posted the most comprehensive and best written review I've seen to date: http://vpnandusenetreviews.com/usenet/astraweb To that poster, thank you for replying to my PM and taking the time to post a thoughtful review. There is a comparison table that displays the various prices, features, and functions for the top providers: http://vpnandusenetreviews.com/usenet-compare. There are also various deals available: http://vpnandusenetreviews.com/deals. We should have a good Thundernews deal very soon.

If anyone else would like to post a review please feel free to do so. Or throw stones...the site is new and the design format is a little hokey...If you think we're full of $*** feel free to say so! Myself, I've been on usenet for at least 8-9 years (more than 10 really, but active 8/9). The editors are about the same (some are friends, others grouped up along the way). We aren't as cool as some of the other reviews sites (ngproviders, etc.) Anyway, that's it.

IMHO, the best usenet providers depend on what you want - unlimited or quota? can you afford to pay 12 months up front? do you want extras like vpn/online storage/newsreaders/web clients/etc? Some people love Giganews for all the extras, but it's $$$. A lot of people love Easynews for the webclient. Others want to pay up front for a yearly plan and get unlimited for <$10/mo. YMMV.

:toast:
vpnandusenet

Postby SleepyOne » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:52 am

The highest priced usenet provider gets 5 stars on price.
One of the lowest gets 4 stars on price.
And it's not based on user-reviews either since those give it 5 stars on price.

Why call it a "review site" when its obviously just a "highest rating goes to the ones that pays me the most for referrals"-site ?

And you give UNS 5 stars on reliability? UNS is notorious over many YEARS for being unreliable. But again... they do have nice referral deals...
SleepyOne

PreviousNext

Return to NewsGroups