Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

How to post a request on a newsgroup?

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

How to post a request on a newsgroup?

Postby Black_Blade » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:24 pm

I have been a customer on Newsdemon now for several years and have been very happy with the service. I was fortunate enough to have been coached on how to use the newsgroups by an online buddy who walked me through the process. By and large this has worked fine, but lately, after many unsuccessful attempts to find older files etc (back issues of certain magazines) I have been wanting to see about posting a request on the newsgroup in the hopes someone will upload the issues I was looking for.

I use the newsreader that Newsdemon supplied, News Rover, and it seems to be a good enough reader (never used another so can't really compare I guess) and have subscribed to several newsgroups that have had issues of the magazines on there from time to time, so how do you post a request onto that newsgroup to ask for a certain issue of a certain mag?
Black_Blade

Re: How to post a request on a newsgroup?

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:13 am

I think the vast majority of people use NZBs these days so a request posted directly to a group would probably go unnoticed.

A better way would be to find an NZB site that indexes similar releases and post a request there. Alternatively you could upload what you have to the Newsgroups and put a request in the filename.
(eg something like: magazines_issues_4to7__requesting_upload_of_issues_1to3.rar).
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Black_Blade » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:36 pm

I just tried posting a request on a subscribed newsgroup using Newsrover and it came back with a error: 440 Posting Not Allowed

Others have posted requests, so why not me?
Black_Blade

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:07 pm

you need to ask them nicely to let you first ;)

POSTING ABILITY
Posting ability is a privilege, not a right. Newsdemon does not immediately grant posting privileges to new members. You must apply for posting access. Once approved, your posting access will be activated within 24-48 hours. Your posting access may be suspended at any time without notice at the discretion of our abuse department. If you are unable to post and believe that your access may have been revoked, you may contact NewsDemon with your account information. The decision of the abuse department is final and NO refunds will be granted due to inability to post after your posting access has been blocked.

http://www.newsdemon.com/terms.php
MrFredPFL

Postby Black_Blade » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:47 am

right on, thanks, I logged into my account and found the option to request posting status. Never paid attention before, guess I'm taking the next step up the newgroups ladder :D
Black_Blade

Postby stateless9 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:54 pm

You'll probably have more luck requesting on private nzb forums. You usually have to contribute something before you can request though.
stateless9

Return to NewsGroups