Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Grabit and "port 119 unable to connect"

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Grabit and "port 119 unable to connect"

Postby mihaita9999 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:29 pm

Hi,

I downloaded Grabit. When I opened the program it asked me to provide my NNTP, with login and password. I clicked cancel and that window dissappeared, in the left side it says Default server. Then I tried to download a documentary, opening a NZB file, previously created, with Binsearch. The error: "unable to connect: port 119", appeared. Why?

Is it because of the "default server" or because of port 119? I use Kaspersky Internet security.

Is it mandatory to subscribe to a Usenet provider ? I don't have access to any NNTP, pretty expensive. Is there a free news provider?

Thanks and forgive my ignorance, I'm still reading about Usenet.
mihaita9999

Re: Grabit and "port 119 unable to connect"

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:11 pm

yes, there are free news servers. you get what you pay for. they often will not have the groups you want, and when they do, chances are that retention is VERY low.

you must provide grabit with a server to connect to, be it free or paid. the first thing to do would be to ask your ISP if they have free newsgroup access for their customers. if they do, get the server details from them, as they will be needed for grabit to connect, and try that first. if they don't, you can try this thread.
MrFredPFL

Return to NewsGroups