Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

download problem

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

download problem

Postby andreason » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi I am a newbie

I apologise if this has been previously posted. i do hope you can help me, if you can.

I am trying to download a film which has been posted 30 days, and has a raport of 15 days but when I try to download it using grabit, I get an error saying no article found!

When I use alt.binz, it just doesnt do anything apart from download nothing. I do not understand it.

When I download a film with less than 5 days raport it downloads just fine...which i find very weird.

I am using red news orbs as my newsgroup server and i have lots of a free storage from there.

The web site i use is Newzbin to find nzb files.

Can you please help?
andreason

Re: download problem

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:57 pm

what's a raport? :?
MrFredPFL

Postby andreason » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:07 pm

Sorry i meant the age of the file.
If it is below 5 days i can download the file, if its older i cannot.
Thanks again
andreason

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:10 pm

i don't understand. you said the film had been posted 30 days ago. that's the age of the file. :?
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:13 pm

in the meantime, i'd suggest you try to use a different NZB. chances are the first one is no good. did you notice if there were any comments for that NZB when you grabbed it? if there's a problem with it, it's possible others have posted about it.
MrFredPFL

Postby andreason » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi again

what i mean is when i try to download anything that is 5 days old or less, i can download it without any problems. The problem is when any file is older than 5 days, i cannot download it.

I have tried with many nzb files and the problem is the same.

Hope this explains things better.
andreason

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:20 pm

well, i can say that it's not an issue with redorb's retention.

beyond that, i don't know what to tell you. sorry. :(

have you contacted them about this?
MrFredPFL

Postby andreason » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:43 am

yeah, i contacted my news group provider and all they said was google is your friend!!!
and newzbin just told me they only deal with nzb not download issues.

this is so strange, i dont know what to do!
andreason

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:00 am

wtf? they told you to google this? :|
MrFredPFL

Postby andreason » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:40 am

Yeah i couldn't believe it either. So now searching all over the net for an answer.

I appreciate your help
thanks
andreason

Postby Wrinkles » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:34 pm

I hope you are using google to find a new usenet provider for two reasons....1) that is not good support and my next response to them would have been to cancel my account with that response and 2) red orb sucks.
Wrinkles

Postby Andrew Crosswithme » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:35 pm

If customer service helped you directly when it comes to copyrighted works they'd be opening up a world of trouble. Best best is to post 'generally' on forums like this without naming names.

Customer support isn't there to help you download/watch movies, they have to be careful!

They pointed you in the right direction.

P.S. Red Orb has good retention so that isn't the problem. Duff nzb? Could be one of many things. Give us more info. :)
ACS:NEWS - Following, reporting and mocking the rise and continual fall of now notorious scam UK Law firm ACS:Law and its head crony Mr. Andrew Jonathan Crossley.

Follow @ACS_ACTIONNEWS on Twitter!
Andrew Crosswithme

Postby zbeast » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:11 pm

How usenet works.
Usetnet is a distributed message transfer system.

When a message - file is posted to a given usenet group and server that message propagates to all of the other
usenet servers that carry that usenet group.

Now depending on how good or bad your usenet provider is sets how long that message or file will stay on that
server. If your usenet provider sucks like the one you seem to be using messages will scroll off before you can get to them.
or even worse small crappy usenet providers respond to kill messages which erase messages from a server even if they owne by someone else.
How long a message stays on a system is known as retention.
Good servers keep messages around for 200+ days not just 5 days.

The trouble is your usenet provider sucks get a different one. It's cheap or free for a reason.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:32 pm

zbeast: there may be a specific problem with this particular post, but i'll repeat what both mister crosswithme and i have already stated - this is not a retention problem. redorb's retention is fine.
MrFredPFL

Postby cpu » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:52 pm

Red Orb are reselling Highwinds.
What this probably is, is that the OP probably has an ISP who are using Highwinds to provide Newsgroups access to their subscribers, (like for example Virgin), and then the retention is probably only 7 days, (at least that's what Virgin has), unless the user is correctly authenticated as a Red Orb subscriber, not just a ISP user.

Red Orb should know this; It's a common issue for Highwinds resellers.
cpu

Postby andreason » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:47 pm

i really appreciate all your help.

I am with Virgin Media as my isp on their 50mb broadband. could the problem be with my isp ?
andreason

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:02 pm

contact red orb and confirm with them that you have the correct info entered in grabit to connect to their servers - in particular, hostname, port, account name and password.

it sounds like what is happening is that you are not successfully connecting to red orb's server, and instead grabit is somehow defaulting to using your ISP's newsgroup access instead. you didn't enter the info for Virgin's newsgroup access in Grabit instead of Red Orb's, did you?
MrFredPFL

Return to NewsGroups