Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

global wireless LAN with laptops = feasible?

This is the forum to discuss internet and other tech topics which aren't specifically hardware or software related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

global wireless LAN with laptops = feasible?

Postby bababooboo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:30 am

Would it be technically feasible to have a software that automatically turns your laptop or your phone/pad into an access point (for yourself), connects you to your neighbours that have the same software, automatically takes care of routing, etc, the network could get really big.

For example, here from my room I look at the wifi routers nearby, there's like 20 of them, how many clients does that make? a whole lot of them. All these clients ( people with laptops) could communicate directly to each other instead of going through their wifi router, their ISP, the internet, etc. You get my point.

the objective would be to have an alternative network, independent from the Internet, and free from censorship

So, feasible? Does it exist already?
bababooboo

Re: global wireless LAN with laptops = feasible?

Postby Psycho Ced » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:45 am

Look into Ad-hoc networking.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Re: global wireless LAN with laptops = feasible?

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:48 am

If I understand correctly, what you're describing is effectively what WiFi Direct is designed to do:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Direct

You could, in theory, achieve the same result using traditional Wi-Fi networks and ad-hoc connections but it would be cumbersome and you would require 2 wireless NICs in devices that were required to act as network bridges or relays.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to Tech/Other/Internet Discussion