Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

New NZB Site, Beta Launch: Peerslash.com

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

New NZB Site, Beta Launch: Peerslash.com

Postby fernandose » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:03 am

Hey all,
The first public beta of the Peerslash.com project is now open to anyone who would like to try-out, tinker, contribute, browse and generally explore. I appreciate any feedback albiet constructive feedback is always preferred. For those who wish to join peerslash, they can straight away by registering on the site.

Introduction to Peerslash.com
Peerslash doesn't aim to do anything groundbreakingly new, however its motto is to solve many of the tedious drawbacks that plague current nzb users. Here is a list detailing a few of Peerslash's current features

+ No registration or payment required to view or download usenet collections.

+ A seamless interface. After being loyal members to 3 different nzb sites over the past 5 years, I knew this area was very important and wanted to get it as good as it can be. Some of you will recognise where Peerslash would have got it's design influences from.

+ Completely community driven, where members are the editors (anyone can register on the site to become a member). Again a lot of effort went into making the submission process a logical and extremely easy way of submitting usenet collections. The smoother the submission process is, the more reports that are posted to be published on site.

How Peerslash works.
Peerslash doesn't host nzbs or require nzbs to be uploaded for collection reporting. Just as Newzbin has it's own usenet indexer, Peerslash incorporates a 3rd party indexer, NZBIndex.nl. Peerslash members can browse/search raw collections on NZBindex and clean-report it on Peerslash. Going down this particular route has helped us accomplish many of our noted goals, some being;

+ Using NZBIndex.nl as our indexer saves a lot time for those wishing to submit a post. They can browse NZBIndex (another freely open site) and submit an NZBIndex.nl link through peerslash, which will then input most of the collection-details for you. No time needed to wait for nzb files to upload or concern over having to copy every little nzb detail down.

+ Using NZBIndex.nl as our indexer has allowed us to make Peerslash a completely free service.

+ Not worrying about hosting NZB files has allowed us to focus on other important areas.

Even though we consider the site to be stable, we still doing lots of work behind the scenes. Enjoy :)
fernandose

Re: New NZB Site, Beta Launch: Peerslash.com

Postby k2bug » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:28 pm

Nice clean interface there fer. I like :thumbup:
k2bug

Postby badass1973 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:20 pm

it does look easy on the eye will have to join and take a peek another day me thinks thanks for the heads up :thumbup: :thumbup:
badass1973

Postby fernandose » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:30 am

Thanks, we have had positive feedback from various communities. Already a few are helping out with the posting.

We quickly figured out that to beat competition as well as playing a bit of catch up, we have to do more than what others are doing. So we did some quick numbers.

As we only have a couple people signed up and posting, we can currently only focus on one category, the movie category. NZBMatrix currently averages around 60 movies a day, we are already doing around 150 movies a day.

We are still very eager to get more people onboard. We are already tracking the number of posts people are making and will use that data to reward our members.

If you are interested just sign up on peerslash or pm if you have any questions
fernandose

Postby Hecks » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:27 pm

So, just so we're completely clear: this ad-driven site is an aggregator of links to NZBIndex.nl, and not "just as Newzbin has it's own usenet indexer" because it does not in fact maintain its own raw index at all? So basically just a wrapper for NZBIndex with your own ads. If I were an NZBIndex admin, I know what I'd be doing right about now ...
Hecks

Postby fernandose » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:37 pm

let me clarify.
Before I even started developing peerslash I personally contacted the NZBIndex admins, to make sure that what we are doing is ok, they agreed with me and gave us permission. We do not hot-link or allow direct download of any of the collections.

We made peerslash, because we understand that raw searching and browsing is not for everyone. NZBIndex has made it possible for us to deliver peerslash as a free site, whereas other admins would have charged users for access. I think running a couple of ads to meet running costs is a pretty much justified trade-off, but then again your welcome to your own opinon.
fernandose

Postby Hecks » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Well, 'raw search' is pushing the definition quite a bit, along with 'indexer', since it's really just a tagger of another websites's data - like digg for usenet. So why not present it that way? Why label the links 'mirrors' when nothing is actually being mirrored, since you don't hold the data in the first place? And finally, without direct downloads the site is useless for all but manual browsing.

There are plenty of sites that don't charge for access and actually manage to contribute something meaningful of their own to the community. Really, what's the point when sites such as nzbs(dot)org exist, or the gazillion free forums for user posting.
Hecks

Postby fernandose » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:56 am

I guess this is where our opinon differs. I do think there is a want for a completely open and 'non-raw' usenet experience and we are doing that via our own angle. Judging by the feedback, people agree with us. However I do agree with you that at the moment we are not making that much of an impact on the community. We have though only just started out and already i believe we are making fast gains. While we are only focusing on movie collections at the moment, we are reporting more movie collections on daily basis than any other free nzb site and yes that includes NZBs.org and NZBMatrix.
fernandose

Return to NewsGroups