Slyck Chatbox - And More

filesharing news articles at slyck.com

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

filesharing news articles at slyck.com

Postby dohduhdah » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:17 am

Hi.

Often I read articles about filesharing on slyck.com.
One thing that annoys me is that often the text in the article is slightly obscured by the right column on the page, so the text is not fully visible. Could you please fix this?
I also tried to report this via the Contact page, but once I've submitted some text there, I get a kind of weird error that the webpage is not available or something. You might also want to have a look at that to see if there is something wrong with the Contact form.

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any improvements to an otherwise great website, Niek
dohduhdah

Re: filesharing news articles at slyck.com

Postby Renegade » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:28 am

Can you give us a few more details on the column cut off. Specifically a link to one of the pages affected, the browser and operating system you are using, and the screen resolution (or browser window width).

Also if anyone else reads this and has the same problem, could they also provide the same info to help with debugging.

The contact form should now be fixed, but SlyckRay will have to confirm that.
Renegade

Postby SlyckRay » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:06 am

thanx Ren, contact form fixed... and i've tried the story pages on all browsers and can't duplicate the problem, so the info Ren has requested would be helpful. :)

Edit: It is apparently a prob with IE6 which i don't have installed anymore, i'll get it worked out. thanx.
SlyckRay

Postby dohduhdah » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:02 am

Here is a screenshot of an example (in this case it's only one letter that is obscured, but sometimes it seems to be half words):
http://www.ibbu.nl/~nsprakel/slyck.jpg

I've marked the location where you can see there is a lack of margin on the right side.
dohduhdah

Postby Golgo1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Bumping this thread, don't know if it was maybe thought to be resolved.

Also dont know what browsers this affects, but I've had the problem for quite a while in amy different versions of IE, on many different systems. It seems to chop off up to a quarter of the sentence sometimes.

Will try to get a SS up elsewhere and link when I can. (As I can't upload images sniff Slyck.com doesnt trust me sniff :cry: .... and so they shouldnt bwahahahahaha :wink: )
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby dohduhdah » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:01 pm

The issue only comes up for me when I use internet explorer. In firefox as well as chrome there are no truncated sentences whatsoever, but in IE, most of the sentences are truncated.
dohduhdah

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:22 pm

opera also appears to be ok here.
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Golgo1 wrote:Bumping this thread, don't know if it was maybe thought to be resolved.

i wish all bumps were this justified. :toast:

Golgo1 wrote:(As I can't upload images sniff Slyck.com doesnt trust me sniff :cry: .... and so they shouldnt bwahahahahaha :wink: )

:lol: if it's any consolation, it doesn't trust any of us.
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:53 pm

Here is a screenie from IE8, but the problem exists on IE7 and IE6 also, I just checked all my pcs.

Edit: I tried changing the IE page encoding several different ways, cleared cache, etc. and those settings did not seem to change how it displays. I did however get it to change and become perfectly readable when I chose, Tools > Internet Options > General Tab > Accessibility > and checked "Ignore font sizes on specified web pages". It made it large and readable, lol, with no cut off sentences, but also changes other pages.

This works also, but it changes other pages too.....on that specific page in the screenie above, I chose page > text size > smallest and then it reads fine.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:22 pm

As just an observation, the Slyck pages all default in appearance to Unicode utf-8 font in IE, rather than Western European font. Perhaps just trying a different font on the front page articles would make them display correctly? Not sure if this was already tested and tried before, if so, sorry for the mention.
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:52 pm

se habla geekspeak aqui. :)
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:57 pm

sí, es divertidas para hacer :) ...........sometimes, lol.
sunnyd

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:17 pm

¡Oye Loca!
MrFredPFL

Postby sunnyd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:22 pm

:lol:

Quick language change

Moi?
sunnyd

Postby HouseCrowd » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:05 am

I haven't checked with Firebug, but from my own experience designing websites, this is usually caused by table column widths that are contradictory, ie they don't 'add up'.

If the sum of the width of any adjacent columns or tables is greater than that of a column or table which contains them, IE overlaps the columns/tables, whereas FF and other browsers tend to resize them to force them to fit.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby sunnyd » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:45 am

HC, you are not allowed to make that much sense here, can't you tell I was trying for at least one half of a SlyckPoint. :lol:

Any websites I worked on, if the format was set to justify the text within the column or table set up, that usually seemed to make the appearance correct for IE, along with using a standard font, but I am not sure what format is being used here or how the columns are defined.

Just another reminder also about another old issue....science topics still do not appear on the "active topics page" unless you are actually logged in. I don't use the front page for my main bookmark though, I use the active topics page so perhaps I notice it more.
sunnyd

Postby Golgo1 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:15 pm

sunnyd wrote: I don't use the front page for my main bookmark though, I use the active topics page so perhaps I notice it more.

HOTLINKER!!!!!!!!!!! for shaaaaaaame :cry:
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby sunnyd » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Lol, no, that's not hot-linking. :wink:
sunnyd

Postby Golgo1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:41 pm

badump-bump?
Golgo1

Return to Tell us what you think