Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Newbie to all this

Discussion about the binary newsgroups and how to successfully participate in the file-exchange
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Newbie to all this

Postby anytimej » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:34 am

Hi,

I have known of usenet and newsgroup since ages. I have used some programs like usenext, etc. in the past...but for the first time I am using the free options.

I am from france. I have downloaded a free nzb file from a newsgroup search engine on the internet. The nzb file is from a newsarticle from today. And i have downloaded Grabit. I have not configuered Grabit in anyway. I added that Nzb file to Grabit and asked it download...but I get the error: "Unable to connect to news: 119 (Socket error # 11004). What is wrong? Do I need configure Grabit with something before I can download? Do I need to pay download?

Please help me.
I went here: hxxp://www.slyck.com/grabit.php?page=3 but couldn't get help for my case.
anytimej

Re: Newbie to all this

Postby GrymRpr » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:06 am

Do you have a account with a newsgroup service provider?
The way it sounds, You don't have GrabIt Configured to login to your NewsGroup provider ( Nick,Pass, and the provider such as: news.SomeProvider.com )
SlyckNick: wrote:
I abhor what slonceck and suprnova have now become.

The Worst thing to happen to any O.S.?
The GUI!
GrymRpr

Re: Newbie to all this

Postby Hoosierdaddy » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:14 pm

The reason GrabIt is giving you this error is because it is not configured to connect to a news server. You MUST have a Usenet Service Provider in order to access Usenet. Unless your Internet Service Provider also provides a news server of it's own, which is less and less likely these days. You can always call them and ask. Other than that, you must pay a premium provider for access. Again, that is a Usenet Service Provider, NOT an Internet Serivce Provider. They are NOT the same thing.
Hoosierdaddy

Return to NewsGroups