Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Has Slyck Lost Its Focus?

Post your comments and suggestions here
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Has Slyck Lost Its Focus?

Postby wolfman142 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:14 pm

This is my second post to Slyck. I've been reading it for years, and I mean years. Only lately did I feel motivated to join, to make a point about some issue I've now forgotten.

I see Slyck going through a phase where it's not sure about its focus. Perhaps that's inevitable.

Originally Slyck was about this hot, new, explosive concept, file sharing. File sharing, back in the day, mostly meant music sharing. Video was too big. I was a file sharer. My route was Napster, winMx, Morpheus, Kazaa, Audiogalaxy, SoulSeek, BitTorrent, Rapidshare. I dabbled with Grokster, Bearshare, Ares, Limewire, DirectConnect and other programs, but didn't stay long.

When it started, the very idea of sharing files over the internet was amazing. It was an exciting time. Slyck was there to chronicle the developments. It seemed like a new file sharing program was announced and discussed weekly. The other must-read site was Zeropaid, which still exists, but doesn't know what it wants to be. It's a shadow of its former self. slyck still has some life to it.

The music industry wrings its hands about the sharing of its copyrighted product. But the genie has been let out of the bottle, never to be put back. The problem is that digitized music (or video or writing or any other digital product) can be perfectly replicated by anyone, including twelve year olds. One original is all you need to make a million perfect copies. Talk about temptation! Old fashioned analog copying (i.e. on tape) was never as tempting. An analog copy was not as good as the original, and a copy of the copy was worse.

Now Slyck has changed its focus-- it seems to be more about computers, the internet, and technological developments generally. I'm exaggerating, but its material seems to come from two people: SlyckTom and sunnyd. SlyckTom writes original articles (I know it's his site) and sunnyd scours the internet for interesting material, then points us to it. It's all good; I appreciate what both are doing.

File sharing is a fact of life now. There aren't new applications being announced weekly. It's all a bit ho hum. The most interesting developments, to me, are the lawsuits against ISPs, file sharing enterprises, and individuals. The noose is tightening. As an aside, the lawsuits were and are never about compensating the creative artists who are the ultimate source of the product being fought over. I doubt the artists have seen even half a percent of any money that's been gathered through litigation, or the threat of litigation. The lawsuits are more about businessmen (not artists) protecting their business model and profits.

So. if the lawsuits truly stamp out file sharing, what will Slyck talk about?

Cheers,

wolfman
wolfman142

Re: Has Slyck Lost Its Focus?

Postby leyton » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:56 pm

Sign of the times!
There's nothing that cant be done if we raise our voice as one.chronicles of history evil corporates and their deceptions will never succeed

laughs at men at work signs. Women work everyday, and don't need a sign.. but men need to let everyone know what they are doing.
leyton

Postby jimmy90 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:14 am

slyck diversified quite a while back

IMHO the community survives because people here seem to have a progressive attitude towards the business of music as well as informed opinions on the legal and legislative aspects of copyright
Last edited by jimmy90 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
jimmy90

Postby zbeast » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:19 pm

There's really not that much new under the sun on p2p.

For a while there people seem to be coming out with a new p2p application every month.
But if you looked at how they all worked they broke down into four types.
FTP based, Usenet Based, Server based and Serverless.
The response by media company's was to try to sue them one by one out of existence.
So you really ended up with two types of news. New p2p service, new threat to that p2p service.
Oh and the battles of the torrent sites. who's down, who's up this week.
Now really the only news is some bunch of jokers who are trying to turn the "Junk Mail Lawsuit" into a business
model. Net result of all this crazy.
Open sourcing of P2P applications, that will never go away and 9 million + file traders still going at it.

It's really hard to focus just on P2P when the new innovation is just not there and the Who's trying to sue is a dull
story.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby justin3 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:59 am

I would challenge anyone to create a new post every day about p2p without it being something about legality. There just isnt that much innovation to write about.
justin3

Postby myopia » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Old time reader here, don't visit much no more. Sad, this place has become a Net ghost town.... nothing left.... but the few diehards.... I remember days where a topic would hit 5 pages+ in comments - over 100 replies... and that was all the topics - not just p2p.... don't see that no more! It is a pity.............. :(
myopia

Postby Ratt » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:37 am

None of this is Slyck's fault.

Filesharing has reached a weird phase where it remains illegal but at least a third of the population does it regularly (by my own guess-timate, anyway) and they do not any longer need any technical help to do it. Torrenting, DDLs and illegal streaming are so easy now, even mom and pop can do it. Grandad and granma can do it.

All the more advanced filesharing methods that we used to talk about so vigorously on Slyck are still around and are still being used by the die-hards and the experts, but again, most people don't need these.

When something becomes ubiquitous, easy, and it doesn't seem to matter that it's illegal most of the time...it just stops being a topic of discussion. Yeah, at the highest levels of politics and law enforcement, there continues to be ferocious activity and scheming to try and turn the clock back on the world - to build a world where filesharing becomes impossible. But none of these schemes are radical enough to succeed. And as long as they don't succeed, the average filesharer and the citizenry doesn't care. Chirping of crickets all around.

Anyway, if anyone is still reading this, these are my two cents on why Slyck has gone quiet. Pointing out the obvious, admittedly. :pirate:
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby piglets222 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:25 am

wheres the like button??

oops wrong site, but although i dont think slyck has 'lost its focus' i do agree that it is less active then it once was... i remember when we were so active that slyck made digg that was pretty freakin awesome... and posts didnt sit on the front page for days i could post something and 3 hours later it had been pushed down by others posts

good stuff...

miss it
piglets222

Postby Ratt » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:55 am

To expand on it a little - and you may laugh at what I am about to say - there is a parallel to the gay rights movement here. The activists of the latter have been known to say: "We will have won when people stop talking about us".

Obviously, what they mean is that people stop talking because sexual orientation is no longer an issue and having more than one orientation is fully accepted; because the whole thing is normalized and has become ordinary (needless to say, they don't mean that people have stopped talking because the gays have gone back into the closet, or anything regressive like that).

This is not unlike Slyck. Silence can signify a victory of sorts.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Postby myopia » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:25 am

I tink its about relevance.... Slyck not relevant anymore, cos there be no more P2P news..... Jon Newton retired!

p2pnet: last post

The time has finally come for me to stop publishing p2pnet. I’m calling it a day mainly because of continuing health problems, and because, quite frankly, I’ve had enough of tilting at windmills.

Under new ownership, p2pnet will concentrate primarily on the issues, policies and technology to do with, and surrounding, social networking and cloud computing.

But writing and advocacy are in my blood and I’ve launched a new blog centering on the way in which the advertising and entertainment industries are poisoning the minds of our children.

It’s something I’ve been interested in for quite a while and was the subject of a p2pnet segment called Kids and Kartels, from which I’ll be drawing, from time to time. I’ll also be writing and researching new articles, so if anyone has any ideas on the subject, please let me know.

So stay tuned for the changes coming to p2pnet, and check out my new blog.

You can contact me at p2p@shaw.ca

Cheers, and thanks for your interest over the years. It was a lot of fun, sometimes, but always educational.

(And keep it up, all you Anons.)

Jon Newton

Bittorrent rulz! Nothing else left..... so sad, so sad.... :(
myopia

Return to Tell us what you think