Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Only Front Audio Port Works (5.1 onboard sound)

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Only Front Audio Port Works (5.1 onboard sound)

Postby gangstarr » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi everyone,

This is a problem that has followed me from my old pc despite the new one being a brand new set up and having tried 2 sets of speakers!

Basically when I watch any videos, listen to music etc sound only comes from the speakers attached to the front audio port. I have checked and all the speakers work and weirdly when I go into control panel and test the speakers (5.1 surround) all 5 make a sound in the test but then don't seem to work in any other situation.

I'm using the onboard sound on my asus p5w dh deluxe and have tried 2 different sets of speakers.

Any ideas?

Thanks
gangstarr

Re: Only Front Audio Port Works (5.1 onboard sound)

Postby HouseCrowd » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:49 am

If you're getting a sound signal from the rear jack during the surround speaker test but not getting a standard stereo output from it, then I would say it's just a setting and/or assignment issue ...

Do you have the latest driver and control software installed? The control software should have settings that allow you to choose the output jack arrangement and assignment.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby IneptVagrant » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:12 pm

most sound devices, disable the rear sound (so you don't have to unplug them) when you connect something to the front panel. Its like that on purpose, the front panel is for convenience to attach headphones or something like that.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby gangstarr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Thanks for the responses guys.

Nah I don't mean the front headphone panel - I mean the front audio port on my onboard sound.

Housecrowd- I did a driver update search and it told me to download the Realtek HD audio driver 6.0.1.6013. It installed along with Realtek HD Audio Manager. Still get sound from all 5 speakers during tests (both in control panel and Realtek audio manager) but then when I play music or videos it is again only coming out of the 2 speakers connected to the front audio port.

This is extremely frustrating, any help would be great!
gangstarr

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:09 pm

I found this elsewhere from someone for an Asus motherboard with the same issue.....

I had a similar 'problem' on my ga-k8n ultra-9. That is, until I realised that the motherboard only allows you to either plug it in the back ports OR reroute it to the front ports and for you to reroute it to the front, you have to remove one of the jumper settings on the motherboard. All I needed to do is put the jumper back in its place and the back ports work fine. I'm not sure if your ASUS board has the same sort of jumper setting or if it allows you to simultaneously use front and back ports, but I'd have a good check in the manual to see whether that's the case.

and the response from the one who had the issue was...

I looked through the manual and got it working. Really, just kept messing around with Realtek software desktop setting and after 2 weeks of tinkering with it it works! Realtek has an on screen pop up when you plug the speakers into the different jacks on the back panel MoBo. I just kept fiddling with that pop up and it finally worked. Nothin' I hadn't done 10 or 20 times before.

Not sure if this will help you or not....
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby gangstarr » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:43 pm

Cheers for the replies guys but none of it has worked unfortunately!

Gonna buy a sound card and hopefully will be able to get it working!

Thanks for the help :)
gangstarr

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion