Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

5 New Technologies That Will Change Everything

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

5 New Technologies That Will Change Everything

Postby sunnyd » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Much of this has been discussed in other threads, but this article kind of sums it all up.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/173778/5_new_technologies_that_will_change_everything.html

By Glenn Fleishman, PC World:
3D TV, HTML5, video over Wi-Fi, superfast USB, and mobile "augmented reality" will emerge as breakthrough technologies in the next few years. Here's a preview of what they do and how they work.

The article has some very interesting descriptions.

USB may be one of the least-sexy technologies built into present-day computers and mobile devices, but speed it up tenfold, and it begins to sizzle.

They don't seem to mention what the most-sexy technology would be.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: 5 New Technologies That Will Change Everything

Postby Dog » Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:20 am

Doesn't the nvidia 3d vision count as a 3d display with the exception of the glasses? USB 3.0 is being tested but even better is Intel Light Peak. I got video over WiFi, its called a wireless N network and I love my Airport Extreme for being able to host 2 different SSIDs off the 2 bands (2.4 & 5GHz). Firefox 3.5 has HTML5 doesn't it with the OGG native playback too? Augmented reality don't make sense to me and lets hope the successor of 802.11N can penetrate walls and reach distances that WiMax can reach.
    Home Build (Specs Below) -and- HP Pavilion dv7-1270us
    Windows 7 RTM x64 Ultimate BOTH Machines
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.2GHz Venice - ECS 755-A2 socket 754 mobo
    XFX PVT73AUDE3 7600GT XXX edition AGP - ASUS VH222H connected through DVI/laptop HDMI
    Seagate 250GB SATA 1.5Gbps drive - WD GreenPower 500GB 5400RPM drive pulled from My Book Essential
Dog

Postby Andu » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:32 am

Dog wrote:Firefox 3.5 has HTML5 doesn't it with the OGG native playback too?

Actually it just supports the new video and audio tags which are part of HTML5. Full HTML 5 support won't be available till Firefox 3.6 or more likely 3.7 is released.
Andu

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:59 am

Yep...all that stunning technology...I'm sure people will just be flocking to these video kiosks...
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby thejynxed » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:02 pm

I have video over wifi as well. It's called a WRT54GL with an XBox360, a laptop, and a PS3 being setup as media extenders/servers :)
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion