Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Last movie you watched...

An area for general chat not related to file-sharing.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: Last movie you watched...

Postby Fartingbob » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:19 pm

Film: Gran Torino
Year: 2008
imdb: Gran Torino
Rating: I give this one a 9. One of the best films of recent years. Its similar to My all time top film (Shawshank Redemption) in thats its very slow pacing, nearly all character development. Clint Eastwood explodes with "i dont give a shit" manliness, an acting style he's been developing most likely since he was born. The support characters arent up to his standard, but you empathize with them by the end enough that it doesnt bring the film down.
Spoiler: show
A very good ending. You pretty much know what the end result is going to be before it happens, but its done very well. a man who spent his whole life dealing with deaths that he has witnessed and the people he killed prepares to sacrifice himself in the hope that those he cared about could live normal lives.

Also, over the course of the film you learn even more racist insults than a day playing Xbox live, but without feeling depressed for society after.

Spoiler: show
Oh and horray for spoiler tags! :toast:

This film was not nominated for a single award at the Oscars. There have been some bad mistakes (well alot actually), but not even a single nomination for this film is just wrong.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby piglets222 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:40 pm

i watched that gran torino... yuh was good stuff... end made meh sad tho :(

just watched "State of Play"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0473705/

A team of investigative reporters work alongside a police detective to try to solve the murder of a congressman's mistress.

was a pretty good crime/drama/thriller it kept up an interest pace

recommend: yus
piglets222

Postby piglets222 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:00 am

the number 23

weird movie.... weeeeeird

jim carreys acting was pretty good i think, i didnt think i'd want to see him in a non comedic role, but in my opinion he swung it
piglets222

Postby Fartingbob » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:35 am

Jim Carrey is a genuinely good actor. Its a shame that he wont ever get muh recognition for it though since everyone just remembers him acting crazy. The Truman Show is another really good film with him in a non-comedic role.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby piglets222 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:22 pm

Passengers (2008)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449487/

A grief counselor working with a group of plane-crash survivors finds herself at the root of a mystery when her clients begin to disappear.

its got anne hathaway (kinda cute) and patrick wilson (from the watchmen)

plot failed... acting failed : ( they just didnt pull it thro... and all tho it had a interesting twist, they didnt slam it : (
piglets222

Postby zbeast » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:25 pm

Movie: 9

I'm not sure what to say about this film.. it's ok, it's worth a view.
but... it has its flaws. you never really feel for any of the characters in the film.

Thats really it's only flaw.

If I were going to give it a point rating.. it would be a 7 out of 10...
it's good but it's not great.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby ntscuser » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:47 pm

The Boat That Rocked

Worst movie I've ever watched in its entirety from start to finish, it has no redeeming features whatever. It's not funny, it's not interesting and it's not remotely authentic. The film is badly written, badly acted, badly edited and at over two-hours, far too long. Songs are thrown in without any regard for chronological order or suitability for the scene they are supposed to enhance. St Trinians is a masterpiece compared to this, even Mama Mia! is better.

Oh and before I forget, it wsas the same record companies who financed this film who ordered the pirate stations to be closed down in the first place!
ntscuser

Postby piglets222 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:35 pm

pandorum

Two crewmen awaken from hyper-sleep aboard a spacecraft. None of their equipment is working, and their memories are incomplete. What was their mission? How much time has passed? Where are they? As they try to piece things together, they discover they are not alone, and the ship's new inhabitants - tribal warriors carrying crudely made weapons - are moving among them, intent on killing all aboard.

ok movie... it was more sci-fi thriller then sci-fi...

recommend: wait for the dvd

: )
piglets222

Postby ntscuser » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:27 pm

Telstar: Big-screen adaptation of a west-end stage drama plotting the final years in the life of maverick record producer Joe Meek. Joe was to the British record industry what Phil Spector was to America and there are unfortunate parallels in their demise. The film is a faithful recreation of the British pop scene of the early 1960s with outstanding performances by Con O'Neil as Joe Meek, Kevin Spacey as his business backer, Pam Ferris as his long-suffering landlady and every single member of the supporting cast.

If the film has a weakness it's that it's bit too much like a stage show as opposed to a movie but I can live with that. If you love early 1960s British pop-music (ie: before the Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc) as much as I do then you'll love this film.
ntscuser

Postby Paladwyn » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:15 pm

Zombieland

Now, that was a good movie. I would give it about an 8/10 for those who like comedy/zombie apoc movies. It's full of one liners that are entertaining. Won't spoil too much, but if you are planning to go see the movie, you won't be dissapointed. If you aren't planning on seeing it, then it isn't your cup of tea.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Fartingbob » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:27 pm

Yea i was considering going to be see zombieland some time, the reviews have been fairly positive considering its a zomcom. Wont beat shaun of the dead though, its the Godfather of zomcoms.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby piglets222 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:13 am

Paladwyn wrote:Zombieland

Now, that was a good movie. I would give it about an 8/10 for those who like comedy/zombie apoc movies. It's full of one liners that are entertaining. Won't spoil too much, but if you are planning to go see the movie, you won't be dissapointed. If you aren't planning on seeing it, then it isn't your cup of tea.

+1

except i might go as far to say 10 : )

had me rolling on teh floor laughing srsly!! good stuff :thumbup:

its hard to beat, beating a zombie to death with a banjo XD
piglets222

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:14 am

in honor of the 80th anniversary of Black Thursday, TCM is running movies about the American Depression every thursday this month.

They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

Director: Sydney Pollack
Starring: Jane Fonda, Michael Sarrazin, Susannah York, Gig Young, Bonnie Bedelia, Bruce Dern, Red Buttons
Year: 1969
Genre: Drama

this is one of the best movies i've ever seen.
MrFredPFL

Postby ntscuser » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:26 am

Peter Pan (1953). For various reasons this is the first time I've seen it. There isn't much of a story and the quality of animation is quite variable by today's standards. Mrs Darling for example looks like something from a pre-war movie. Tinker Bell is the only character which really stands out and explains why she was recently given her own movie. The DVD version is still interesting though for filling-in the movie's historical background.

Dancer Margaret Kerry posing for animator Marc Davis
ntscuser

Postby SlyckTom » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:49 am

World's Greatest Dad -

Black comedy with Robin William...funny and twisted as hell. Just what I've grown to expect from Williams lately :D
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Postby multivariable » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:55 am

Shawshank Redemption, again.

Was flipping through the telly channels, and there she was on Channel Nine, about 30 minutes in, and I got sucked in to watching it to the end.

Seriously, this is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

It still amazes me the number of people who have no idea that Stephen King wrote the story.
multivariable

Postby piglets222 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:31 am

shawshank was good ::nodnod:: and something you can watch over

just watched

Law Abiding Citizen

The film takes place in Philadelphia and tells the story of Clyde Shelton (Butler), a man who decides to exact revenge on his family's killers, as well as the criminal justice system.

I enjoyed it, if you like cat and mouse, you will like this movie, others can probably wait till teh dvd comes out : )
piglets222

Postby HEAT84 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:52 am

multivariable wrote:Shawshank Redemption, again.

Was flipping through the telly channels, and there she was on Channel Nine, about 30 minutes in, and I got sucked in to watching it to the end.

Seriously, this is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

It still amazes me the number of people who have no idea that Stephen King wrote the story.

Yeah, I loved it too. The critics hated it for some reason.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby jokster » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:31 am

Mary And Max
8/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0978762/
http://www.maryandmax.com/

great wee Australian claymation narrated by Barry Humphries. i dont think ive ever seen oz animation before and this was a very good start. oz humour usually hits the mark for me and this was no dissapointment.
well worth the watch.
Capitalism Is Cannibalism
Resistance is fertile
jokster

Postby ntscuser » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:57 am

Star Trek

Thought I was gonna hate it but it managed to exceed my best expectations.

9/10
ntscuser

Postby multivariable » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:00 am

ntscuser wrote:Star Trek

9/10

+1 :toast:
multivariable

Postby HEAT84 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:20 am

multivariable wrote:
ntscuser wrote:Star Trek

9/10

+1 :toast:

Yeah, I can't wait for the next movie or TV series. I don't know about Spock and Uhura dating though. I guess its kind of like Worf and Dax.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby ntscuser » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:24 pm

Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure

This is an absolute must for anyone who liked the first Tinker Bell movie. There's some good extras on the DVD as well including the soundtrack music video and a "blooper reel" which is obviously faked but still hilarious.

9/10
ntscuser

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:10 am

jokster wrote:Mary And Max
8/10
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0978762/
http://www.maryandmax.com/

great wee Australian claymation narrated by Barry Humphries. i dont think ive ever seen oz animation before and this was a very good start. oz humour usually hits the mark for me and this was no dissapointment.
well worth the watch.

I hadn't heard of this one, so I thought I'd check it out.

I'd say 8/10 is about right. It's different, entertaining, and funny. Good movie! :thumbup:
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby bluebird » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:43 am

:D Great film, well written and great visuals but I would have preferred a different ending :?

I have to say this was much better than a lot of the cartoon films coming out of the US at the moment, they seem to be becoming very samey 8)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Douglas Adams

If you obey all the rules you miss all the fun x
bluebird
Shopping Fairy

PreviousNext

Return to Lounge